Lexus LX 2019+ Looking to Purchase this year, but lots of questions and introduction. Hello :) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everyone,

I am new to the forums, but have been lurking for a couple months now trying to digest all of the information for my next vehicle purchase.

This will be my first vehicle I'm buying for myself and after wanting to buy a Tundra for forever, and after reading more and more about LCs and LXs, I've completely settled on a Lexus LX. With that said, I've gone to a couple dealerships, test driven, poked around the vehicles, read hours upon hours and watched countless reviews, but can't quite put my finger on exactly which model to get with my budget.

Budget: ~70k

Want to point out, I am furthest from a car person. I've always had hand-me-downs or traded within the family etc., and just got regular maintenance done to keep them up. Currently driving a 200k mile Honda Accord. Well, I want to change that. I'd like to slowly convert it into a half, potentially daily driver if I decide to give the Honda away, half light over-lander for treks across country. I primarily stay in the Colorado/New Mexico/Wyoming/South Dakota area for work, with trips to California annually.

Now that's out of the way. Work has ramped up so in the next four months I'd like to pay this off sooner than later. I keep reading conflicting info on never paying cash or large down payments at dealerships, so any financial advice on new a new purchase is greatly appreciated.

The main stuff! 2019, 20, or 21? I think 2020 LX are just out of my budget unless high mileage. I would absolutely 100% LOVE out of my mind to have a 2021 Nori Green, that strange, but oh so beautiful green, but I can't even find those for sale, and I read about the 2022+ supply chain issues and allotments, it seems Nori Green LX is a mythical creature and not truly real. Anyway, is there a legitimate breakdown of the model year differences besides the random google searches? I vaguely remember reading somewhere, maybe here, that 2019 has larger front axles or better machined bolts or something? Again, I don't know what I'm talking about, but trying to learn! I would love to have the 2 row option, but it seems that doesn't come with the "luxury" package, so no special audio system etc. Is that correct?

Basically, what year is best! Do some years come with more recalls and other? I had an early 2000s Lexus RX that I didn't know had that transmission problem until it died on me on a mountain pass *sad face...

I'll continue to read these forums and learn more and more! Honestly, I'm really happy I stumbled upon this place. Such amazing info!

Nice to meet everyone, and thanks! (Is this even the right place to introduce myself?)

Welcome. Sounds like you have a good plan.

Cash or not cash is up to people with more of it than me. :) If I can, I pay cash for vehicles. If I can't, I pay a bunch down to reduce the payment, and pay them off as soon as possible. I hate paying interest.

Smart money people will probably tell you that if you have a financial vehicle that outperforms the rate of the vehicle loan, you're smart money ahead to get that low interest loan. I don't have a bunch if investments to make that a viable strategy.

Someone here (maybe several someones), but @TeCKis300 I think, has posted a long list of differences by year/generation for the LX. I have a land cruiser, so I don't have much of a clue about the LX.

Nori Green is nice. Almost and nice as Amazon Green, my favorite Land Crusier color.

Good luck in your search.

Welcome. Sounds like you have a good plan.

Cash or not cash is up to people with more of it than me. :) If I can, I pay cash for vehicles. If I can't, I pay a bunch down to reduce the payment, and pay them off as soon as possible. I hate paying interest.

Smart money people will probably tell you that if you have a financial vehicle that outperforms the rate of the vehicle loan, you're smart money ahead to get that low interest loan. I don't have a bunch if investments to make that a viable strategy.

Someone here (maybe several someones), but @TeCKis300 I think, has posted a long list of differences by year/generation for the LX. I have a land cruiser, so I don't have much of a clue about the LX.

Nori Green is nice. Almost and nice as Amazon Green, my favorite Land Crusier color.

Good luck in your search.

I have an old post noting potential features differences between LC and LX. For the OP, sounds like he's looking for the diff between LX model years. Hopefully someone with a newer LX can chime in but as I understand it, there were very little if any option differences among the latest model year of LXs.

To the OP, just get the cleanest example that fits your budget. Color may be the driver and I wish you the best of finding the elusive nori green. Love that color myself.

Do you do your own maintenance? Or will you rely on dealership or 3rd party (Jiffy Lube, etc)?

I would get the latest model that you can afford at the lowest mileage.

2016+ Lexus LX is IMHO one of the most beautiful SUV on the planet.

There is a Nori Green '21 listed for sale on cars.com in Illinois. Dig up another $20K and go for it! ;)

And don't sweat the small stuff. Any of the those years you listed will be fine; just do your due diligence on history and care.

Thank you for the kind replies.

Firstly, I think I want to put as much down as possible then throw as much money as my budget allows. I think just getting that hurdle out of the way, as quickly as possible, is my goal and strategy. Also, I really do love the Nebula Grey, and everything I can afford, a grey model is available. Nailing down these little odds and ends to the specific year is the step I think I'm on.

There is a thread on these forums if you google "Lexus LX model year changes ih8mud", the first hit was a starting resource, and on page 5 (7 years later!!), Madtiger themselves posted some changes for the 2016+ LC. Would those carry over to the LX? Is the stronger differential carrier a game changer? Is it even on an LX? I still have a ways to go... I wish there was more info on the exact changes year to year. Brochures mention 2020 has a sport model with the "luxury" package, but it's just a 2 row without the Mark Levinson. Misleading? I dunno... Maybe I'll start a whole new thread listing all the changes I can find about the 200 series LX...

The reason I'm being so incredibly particular is this is my first car purchase ever, and I really want to drive it as far as I can, unless it turns out to truly be something I thought I wanted, but didn't need in the end. I highly doubt that's the case, but life is interesting most times.

Madtiger, I think in the beginning I will be taking it to the dealership (if under warranty... Another aspect I'm trying to wrap my head around is the 100k extended warranties and those things? Extended lifetime warranties?), and 3rd parties while also learning to service the truck myself. I'd love to change out the tires and put something with more tread and a more "rugged/aggressive" look. Another aspect I was reading is to get the model with the 20" wheels instead of the 21" because there are more parts and tires for the 20", or to even swap out the 20/21" tires and put 18" LC tires on... Just, so much information. Also want to rip that 3rd row out the day I get home with it. Would it be worth it to buy whatever color and then get it painted green? I guess it's all within the eyes of the beholder (and bank account ;D)...

I agree, the more I look at the LX, the more incredible it looks.

There is a Nori Green '21 listed for sale on cars.com in Illinois. Dig up another $20K and go for it! ;)

And don't sweat the small stuff. Any of the those years you listed will be fine; just do your due diligence on history and care.
I saw that! I don't know if my mental and physical health could take the overtime shifts to justify it... It's just green right? And it looks so good... *tear

So, there is this: LX 2019 changes.
Looks like the 2020 just adds the "sport" edition which are just exterior cosmetic changes.
LX 2021 changes.
It looks like 2019 got some connectivity stuff with some fancy color light things and that's it. I think this is the first year they did a special black edition which looks cool and edgy, but probably not something I'd like to take on camping trips...
Now why they don't offer the Mark Levinson sound system in the 2 row version is odd to me.

Alternatively, you could spend a few thousand having the color you get wrapped in whatever color you like.

Welcome! I found this forum the same way, researching LC/LX 200 series cruisers. You’d be hard pressed to find, in one spot, a more knowledgeable group on this topic. From stock to whatever you can think of, this crew has it!

I have a 2019 LX 2 row, which was my preference. With the 2 row, you will not be able to get the following:

Mark Levinson Sound
Heads Up Display (HUD)
Cool Box
Plus you will be limited to two interior colors, black or parchment (light ivory)

However, prefer the larger center console, and the extra room without the third row seating…which could be removed from what I have read. The Mark Levinson Sound is awesome, that said, since I don’t have it I don’t miss it.

I use my LX for highway + ski trips with no intention of modifying it. Some love the grill, some hate it, I don’t mind it. For my use, the LX was a better fit, especially with the hydraulic suspension. It also normally will run a bit less, year for year and same mileage versus the Land Cruiser.

Without exception this is the best built, best engineered tank…er…truck you can find anywhere. It’s my first Toyota/Lexus product after years of Mercedes. While I still have one Merc, they don’t compare…the LX is superior for ride, comfort, overall strength.

That said…70K will buy you a 2019 with about 30,000 miles on it, certified to boot. Last July that was 75K…which is what I paid. Mine had some light rusting, which I took off, and undercoated with Fluid Film. Here in Connecticut, if you don’t want to drive far, there are few examples to be found. If I had been more patient, I could have saved a few bucks, but I love the truck, and won’t part with it.

Enjoy your search, you’ve got a great team of experts here to help.

521EF091-F04F-481A-ADF5-C4142EB9A58C.jpeg

CharlieS, that is definitely an option. I'll have to read up about what wrapping entails. Thanks for the suggestion!

FredLX, that is a STUNNING LX. That right there, is without a doubt in my mind, the LX that I want! That grey is majestic and ethereal. It is a beautiful cloudy day off sort of feel. Light enough to see all the beautiful lines in the body work, but dark enough to give a sort of peace and tranquility when looking at it... I have about 10 of those bookmarked, watching the prices and slowly narrowing down. What color is your interior? I'm torn between black and red (cabernet?)! I also think I've 99% narrowed my choice down to a 2019. It seems 2020, and 2021 do not offer anything significant besides lower miles, which is always nice, and Nori Green on the 2021. Unless I can find one of those rare deals on a pristine 2021 Nori Green on a private party sale, 2019 is the perfect choice for me.

I truly appreciate your reply. First hand insight is what I need right now! I've poured over the LX vs LC threads, and I'm coming to terms, at this point in my life, I'm not a true truck aficionado, and won't be heavily modding this vehicle. If that changes in the near future, so be it. I'd love to try a little bigger tires and maybe a darker grill etc. I've never been a big fan of chrome. I don't foresee wanting to stay 100% stock. I'd also love to learn the maintenance and perform it myself, unless it's major problems.

I blab a lot, sorry.

Finally, would anyone recommend buying from one source over another? As in, should I only buy from a Lexus dealer only? Do I only buy certified? Most of the vehicles I've bookmarked are from random dealerships around the country from KBB, truecar, autotrader, cars dot com etc. Does anyone have experience with shipping? Some listings say "Nationwide shipping!" I'm guessing that will cost ~$1K from all that I've read. Is private party a better way to go for this particular vehicle? I've read the pros and cons, I just don't have experience... I have a feeling what Madtiger said earlier will be reiterated.

Am I allowed to post links to potentials I am looking at? I would love some input on some of these vehicles if anyone sees a detail that I am unaware.

Oh, speaking of, does anyone have experience with cross-country purchases? My cousin is a mechanic, and an old neighbor owns a little, local Toyota/Lexus mechanic shop. How would I be able to do an inspection with them, if need be? Can I trust a dealership ~700 miles away? This was a big concern of mine. Especially with that rust issue I always read about...

Thanks everyone!

...and the search continues!

I don't believe there to be any base differences from the 2019+ LX's. It has been covered what you can't option in a two-row but we didn't care about the ML sound system (had it in a GX and it was ok) nor did I want/need HUD. We wanted the extra cargo room and the 20's as the 21's are worthless unless you like buying $500 HP soft rubber tires. We traded ours in on our Land Cruiser as we prefer the sportier look but below is a pic of our Nebula Gray with 33" BFG KO2's on the stock 20" wheels.

kSD13vv.jpg

Absolutely gorgeous truck! Is there a noticeable ride quality difference from stock? MPG difference?

Absolutely gorgeous truck! Is there a noticeable ride quality difference from stock? MPG difference?

Thanks! She's long gone now but I didn't notice much of a ride difference. Sure you moved to a load range E tire but you also gain a lot of sidewall too. I think I lost 1-1.5 mpg with those tires, it would still hit 18-19 mpg on the highway at 70-75 mph regularly

CharlieS, that is definitely an option. I'll have to read up about what wrapping entails. Thanks for the suggestion!

FredLX, that is a STUNNING LX. That right there, is without a doubt in my mind, the LX that I want! That grey is majestic and ethereal. It is a beautiful cloudy day off sort of feel. Light enough to see all the beautiful lines in the body work, but dark enough to give a sort of peace and tranquility when looking at it... I have about 10 of those bookmarked, watching the prices and slowly narrowing down. What color is your interior? I'm torn between black and red (cabernet?)! I also think I've 99% narrowed my choice down to a 2019. It seems 2020, and 2021 do not offer anything significant besides lower miles, which is always nice, and Nori Green on the 2021. Unless I can find one of those rare deals on a pristine 2021 Nori Green on a private party sale, 2019 is the perfect choice for me.

I truly appreciate your reply. First hand insight is what I need right now! I've poured over the LX vs LC threads, and I'm coming to terms, at this point in my life, I'm not a true truck aficionado, and won't be heavily modding this vehicle. If that changes in the near future, so be it. I'd love to try a little bigger tires and maybe a darker grill etc. I've never been a big fan of chrome. I don't foresee wanting to stay 100% stock. I'd also love to learn the maintenance and perform it myself, unless it's major problems.

I blab a lot, sorry.

Finally, would anyone recommend buying from one source over another? As in, should I only buy from a Lexus dealer only? Do I only buy certified? Most of the vehicles I've bookmarked are from random dealerships around the country from KBB, truecar, autotrader, cars dot com etc. Does anyone have experience with shipping? Some listings say "Nationwide shipping!" I'm guessing that will cost ~$1K from all that I've read. Is private party a better way to go for this particular vehicle? I've read the pros and cons, I just don't have experience... I have a feeling what Madtiger said earlier will be reiterated.

Am I allowed to post links to potentials I am looking at? I would love some input on some of these vehicles if anyone sees a detail that I am unaware.

Oh, speaking of, does anyone have experience with cross-country purchases? My cousin is a mechanic, and an old neighbor owns a little, local Toyota/Lexus mechanic shop. How would I be able to do an inspection with them, if need be? Can I trust a dealership ~700 miles away? This was a big concern of mine. Especially with that rust issue I always read about...

Thanks everyone!

...and the search continues!
With respect to certified versus used versus private party, I choose certified. My truck received new brakes at about 26K as part of the certified process…which would have been expensive to replace. I suppose the previous leasee rode the brakes. Also there is a two year unlimited mileage bumper to bumper warrantee included.

I had a reputable dealer, the transaction was fairly easy. That said, the strength of the vehicle and its design make any type of purchases possible. I almost bought a blue LX at another Lexus dealer, earlier in the year, same model year, 18,000 miles. The dealer wanted 79k…which I didn’t think was worth it. It eventually went to auction, and ended up in Florida at an infinity dealer…technically everything necessary to be certified was done at the Lexus dealer, however no Lexus warranty as a used car.

I never had the option of private party purchase, but would have definitely considered it. I’ve bought cars at a distance, and locally. For me it’s about the color etc I’d want.

Distance purchase naturally does not permit a thorough inspection, you’d need a trustworthy third party.

I looked into certified, and yes, that is definitely what I would like to do as well. The extra 2 years on top is nice.

With distance purchasing, how did you find your third party? Did you do a local google search and pick a high rated shop? I know people fly out to places and drive the vehicle home, but I don't have the time to do that, so I will have to add shipment into the price. Any experience with shipping?
Autotrader has this article. Does this seem similar to your experience?

I feel exactly the way you do. It's really about color at this point.

So, let's say I purchase a car with ~50k miles on it from, oh, I don't know, Ohio? I need to be checking for rust, correct? I'm guessing the only guarantee I will have are pictures of the frame and underneath, correct?

Thanks again! Have a nice day

Oh, I forgot one more question. I know this is silly, but I'm trying to understand how to specifically buy Certified. Do I need to go to the Lexus website and just put in all the area codes? KBB, Cars.com, truecar and other cars have a certified filter, but on cars.com, as soon as that filter is used, there is no inventory. Is there a better way to go about that?

Oh, I forgot one more question. I know this is silly, but I'm trying to understand how to specifically buy Certified. Do I need to go to the Lexus website and just put in all the area codes? KBB, Cars.com, truecar and other cars have a certified filter, but on cars.com, as soon as that filter is used, there is no inventory. Is there a better way to go about that?
The best site for “certified” is Autotrader. Autotrader allows you to search the whole country at once. Alternately, you go into the Lexus site. The max search distance in the Lexus site is 200 miles from a zip code you choose. You can hop-scotch around the country that way.

For me, I prefer Certified. “Used” instead of certified, is a bit more complicated…many more choices, used car dealers can be an interesting bunch.

Finally, if you’re going to ship, it gets expensive quickly. There are many grades of Auto Transport, and the insurance coverage matters. I shipped a BMW once. I’m picky so I settled on a very reputable company, with enclosed trailers. It was expensive…but the car arrived perfect.

I have no other experience in shipping cars, but I’m sure others here can help in that department.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom