Leveling Issue... Advice? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Markuson

SILVER Star
Threads
Not sure what's up... Truck not level. Right rear lower than left rear... LEFT front lower than RIGHT front!

So I've opened KDSS three turns on level ground...
-bounced around on sliders to shift side-to-side...
When it seems I might have it sitting more level, I tightened valves again.
-Did the above twice, trying to get level--particularly in back.

Still not level after three attempts.

So.. Pretty wonky.

I looked at the shock shaft on right rear, and it is more compressed into the housing than the left is...as the left sits an inch lower...and that's about how much more the shock shaft is compressed.

So... Is this even something KDSS can compensate for?
If not, what would cause greater compression on one side?

Any suggestions/ideas/advice?

Could be a sagged/failed Spring.

Last edited:
I know you had some issues with your BP51 install. Maybe something from that with initial setup/settings?

I know you had some issues with your BP51 install. Maybe something from that with initial setup/settings?

Seems to have developed over time... Like KDSS should take care of it...but I'm not sure. Hasn't worked yet.

KDSS is a little confusing, and I'm not entirely sure what it can correct in this case. Hoping someone might have seen it before.

About KDSS valve release... I did not notice any dramatic ability to rock the vehicle with valves released compared without them released. I expected it to move more freely, but instead, it felt more like typical movement you can induce at any time.

Before my bp51 install I had a 1 inch lean and slee was able to correct it through the kdss reset as you tried. Maybe they have some insight for you or another technique.

What you described is a very common problem with other KDSS-equipped Toyota & Lexus vehicles. Both our 2014 4Runner and our older 2008 GX470 had leaning issues. The 4Runner forum I used to visit was full of owner complaints about leaning trucks. Most dealers "claimed" that the leans were within specs and would do nothing. If the lean was particularly bad--like way over 1"--some dealers would re-calibrate the KDSS system, IF the dealer had the specialized tools to do the job. I never bothered to complain about ours, so don't know much else. I believe the leaning is a KDSS issue and it CAN be fixed if a dealer will work with you.

BTW- our 2015 LC leans to the left, about 1/2".

Is this something that's just happened or you just noticed ?
I see you say it's happened over time but is that really the case.
Think maybe it's been there all along? Maybe when your rear springs were installed the switched up the rear left and right springs? There's an A and B spring.
One is taller to compensate for weight (either driver or fuel tank) can't remember which is the case but there is a difference. Check that out. Tags may still be on the springs themselves. White paper rag.

Think maybe it's been there all along? Maybe when your rear springs were installed the switched up the rear left and right springs? There's an A and B spring.
One is taller to compensate for weight (either driver or fuel tank) can't remember which is the case but there is a difference. Check that out. Tags may still be on the springs themselves. White paper rag.

Starting to think it's due to nightly time my slightly tilted driveway... Not sure, as it seems to vary.

OK. Which is supposed to be on Driver's Side? Coil labeled "A"...or Coil labeled "B"? These are ARB 2721...

A side is US passenger side I think.

I can't remember.....If i do recall where that info is I'll post it or PM you

I can't remember.....If i do recall where that info is I'll post it or PM you

Thanks.

What I don't get...
ARB is one of the FEW major companies that doesn't seem to post PDF versions of the install instructions that come with their products online... I googled this, and it came down to a lot of confused forum posts from various people on many different forums asking the same question. There seems to be widespread confusion over this very question.

Just found the best explanation I've come across so far... from Cruiser Outfitters:
Cruiser Outfitters
Scroll to the bottom of the page...pretty good explanation... Also mentions the tendency to settle over time and need adjustment...possibly with spacers.

If the coils were swapped, wouldn't it be pretty noticeable? I know on the Tacoma it's quickly clear.

Starting to think it's due to nightly time my slightly tilted driveway... Not sure, as it seems to vary.
Start backing your truck into your driveway and see if the problem goes away after a while.

Mine was all jacked up after IM lift install. ONLY guy that fixed it was a tech at Toyota of Dallas. Best 400 bucks i ever spent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom