Let's talk Toyota axles and gears (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So all the research I've done on here, JTs, forum links and such have given me no 100% answers on my differentials and available ratios.

I've got an JDM 87 Hilux Double Cab with factory 2.4 non turbo diesel and solid front axle. Best information out there tells me I'm running the same 8" standard differential in the front and the rear but I'm looking to clarify.

I'm coming from a domestic GM background so just looking for the Toyota specifics, are all the 8" carriers 30 spline or are they various numbers? Would a diesel engine have larger "V6" or the standard 4 cylinder carrier? JTs lists an 8" standard and 8" reverse, why?

Thanks for any information, I'll keep looking to find what I need. Eventually when everything lines up it will be ARB locked front and rear and I'll sort out the ratio for a 2.4 running 33" rubber.

That site along with other sites list specifically "for North America". I'm just unsure if there are differences.

You have 8" front and rear. The reverse cut gears are for hi-pinion differentials, iirc, found in the front of fj80s.

The biggest difference in your solid axles and the usdm ones is that yours are 2 years newer than the last front sold here in a vehicle.

As far as diffs go, order some for an 84/85 pickup and they should just drop in.

If I might sidebar for a minute, where did you pick up the truck. I want a 89-95 double cab soo bad and I was actually thinking back thru it yesterday and trying to decide if I could find a cab and bed in Canada and just bring them back and mount them to a US extra cab truck.

Not worried about engine/ drivetrain as I want to build a SAS with a lexus 4.0 around the cab. Just want a complete cab.

Bought 2 of them locally in the last 2 years both have been in Canada for several years. Since you're only allowed 1988 trucks in the US right now I'd wait another year and go on the classified section here AUStoUS has a thread about importing trucks.

It seems the V6 diff didn't come out till later so I'm not too concerned the diesel is different anymore. I'm kind of blow away it has the same differential front and rear, very handy. Time to count my ARB pennies.

If I might sidebar for a minute, where did you pick up the truck. I want a 89-95 double cab soo bad and I was actually thinking back thru it yesterday and trying to decide if I could find a cab and bed in Canada and just bring them back and mount them to a US extra cab truck.

Not worried about engine/ drivetrain as I want to build a SAS with a lexus 4.0 around the cab. Just want a complete cab.

I see them on kijiji alberta or BC once in a while, they go for around $10k CAD give or take, have almost no rust, but RHD. You should be able to import 25 years and older, so there may be some that are importable and drivable as is.

I found a decent 89 4 door (body and frame) that has been an ongoing project and really need to find time to finish this year.

All sorted out. Like obviously for most people it's got a standard 8" front and rear with the code G252 so 4.56 stock ratio. Being a diesel and now running tires 2" larger than stock I've got no reason to regear at this point but we will see about locking it up when it's driving.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom