Lets talk REAR HEATERS! - Fitment/Pieces needed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
TN winters aren't extremely cold, but the '79 takes a bit of warming up to get it to a comfortable riding temp on most days from December-March.

My '79 has two threaded holes on either side of the removable floor panel behind the middle console. It also has a plug under the console. I assume the holes are for bolting down the small "spaceship" looking rear heater. Also assume the plug is for some sort of power to the heater.

I've looked a couple of original functional rear heaters for sale, but my main question is WHAT ELSE DOES IT TAKE to get this thing hooked up? Hoses, clamps, etc... Also, are there different models of said heater that may not work on a '79 vs a '74? I posted a couple of images below of heaters I've looked at.

Heater_1.jpeg
Heater_2.jpeg
Heater_3.jpeg

And discuss.

I don't know about the different years and fitment issues, if any. I bought one a few years ago and didn't bother to ask what year it came from. It fit just fine.
My concern is the availability of the rear heater core. I tried sourcing a new one, but came up empty. Radiator repair shop tried to fix mine, but said it was not going to happen.

You'll need the hardlines that run from the front heater lines to the rear heater.

Heater hoses, you can get by without hardlines if you just want to get it in.

Tees to tap into the front heater lines. Search around there's pics.
Then wiring and assuming you have the heater knob/pull switch on the dash

I have a 1978 FJ40 and the two heaters worked very well until the rear started leaking.

The Cold weather package worked very well in Wyoming winter arctic conditions. Before I rolled it in 1979 the cab was sealed well enough to pop your ears when a window was rolled up and the rear vents were closed. It would get too hot sometimes and had to vent the heat.

When I get it road ready again I will replace the rear heater to be ready for winter driving.

Here's some posts from when I was going through my rear heater learning journey. I bit earlier than yours but I hope they still help.

be careful of the heater core for the circular heaters... they are not available... if stepped on enough the tubes split

kids just don't lift their feet... had to make a guard for mine lol

they can be fixed... soldered... so do not throw it out if theres an issue

Heater hoses, you can get by without hardlines if you just want to get it in.

Tees to tap into the front heater lines. Search around there's pics.
Then wiring and assuming you have the heater knob/pull switch on the dash

From 9/73 did have cable to a valve versus a hand operated valve on the cylinder head. The rear heater worked on high speed of the front heater wether you wanted it or not. Early years had they own switch. Some even had two speed on the rear heater. 73 had another of one year only parts. That was knobs identifying front and rear heaters. This is my 68's dash but switched knobs off a 73.
IMG_20201020_163546337.jpg

Another mystery to me is the switch on 8/80-1/81 center console. I show it in my post above. It's the same switch as used my the FJ60. Just haven't figured out if that switch is in series with the front heater switch or works independently of the front switch. These also have separate valve to control the flow of coolant. Not sure of the FJ60 has the valve under the passenger seat but the FJ62 does with the heater under the console.

My '76 FJ40 didn't come with a rear heater when I bought it. A friend gave me one out of a '74 a few years later and it bolted right up to the existing holes. I used heater hoses to plumb it and made a dedicated switch to power it as it was single speed only. Works great to heat the cruiser on cold days and the option to use rear only heat is nice too, sometimes there is plenty of heat coming off the firewall and the front heater isn't needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom