Let's talk options (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
You guys have been so helpful in giving wisdom and encouragement through my varied and vast overheating ordeals. Finally got the 60 in to have it checked and apparently there is gas getting into the radiator--exhaust is coming out of the oil fill area, and I my head gasket is allowing a leak into the combustion chamber. they weren't willing to say I had a cracked head for sure, or block for that matter, but they are not encouraging.

So. . .
What are my options as you guys see it. Let's say skies the limit, and then let's talk what might be affordable (which is a relative term I know) As well, convince me it's worth pouring more money into to make it into the vehicle I would love it to be.

thanks, I'm anxious to see what you suggest.

Oh yeah, I have access to a 3fe with 80k on it, is that a conversion that is possible, and what sort of adapters would I need?
tjg

gillti said:
Let's say skies the limit,
Whenever the sky's the limit a swap is in order. Vortec, diesel, your basic SBC. Any of these will improve the usefulness of your 60.

IMO a 3FE wouldn't add enough excitement to performance to make the effort worthwhile.

A diesel swap is becoming more interesting every day. Partly because of the fuel cost, but also because the performance of a diesel seems to be more what a cruiser is made for. So if sky's the limit, diesel options are top of my list. JDM options from G&S, Cummins 4BT (cruiserparts) or Hino.

Okay, Diesel swaps are what to shoot for, but I want to go back to the 3fe discussion, mainly because I can get ahold of one for free. What all is involved in that swap? The ECU and wiring harness are all attached.

A 3FE is basically a 2F with fuel injection. I'd imagine it would bolt right up exactly like the 2F. Air cleaner is different.... maybe a few other small things. But other than another 2F, it's probably the easiest swap to do.

I'd go diesel if you had any possible way of doing it. Get a cheap cummins or something.

from my research over the last few hours it seems that diesel is surely the way to go, but it's always money isn't it? I know there are toyo purists out there who would never even think V8, but what are the advantages of going that direction?

It is to be both a daily driver and a fun trail rig. Something to have some fun with, but must be reliable.

Advantages of the V-8? Cheap, parts are easily obtainable, anyone and their uncle knows how to fix 'em....

Disadvantages? You'll loose a bunch of torque going that route.

Doc said:
Advantages of the V-8? Cheap, parts are easily obtainable, anyone and their uncle knows how to fix 'em....

Disadvantages? You'll loose a bunch of torque going that route.
I wouldn't say you'd lose "a bunch" of torque by going V8. Or even any, except on paper. If your rig spends most of its life in 4-lo crawling over rocks then a diesel if the better option. If you do lot of grocery-getting or high speed highway driving then a gasser V8 is probaby a beter engine choice for you.

interesting. how about a 3fe head onto the 2f block. of course I need to be sure that the block is not cracked first.

Bear in mind that you and your truck are in California, the smog regulation capital of the universe. Any gasser conversion, including a 3FE, will need to satisfy the smog nazis. California spec 3FEs have LOTS of expensive smog equipment. If it were me, I would seriously consider a diesel conversion. IIRC, diesels are not subject to the smog nazis.

good point. we are awfully regulated here. So I take it that you can't hook up the 3fe to the 2f smog stuff?

CSA said:
IIRC, diesels are not subject to the smog nazis.

That is currently true :D

gillti said:
good point. we are awfully regulated here. So I take it that you can't hook up the 3fe to the 2f smog stuff?

I doubt there would be much cross-over on the smog stuff, but I don't know for sure.

Also, remember that the 3FE has a different fuel delivery system, two cats, two 02 sensors, and a computer to control everything. Just the wiring and the exhaust would be a night mare.

In terms of labor, I don't think a diesel conversion would be that much more difficult and might even be easier than trying to get a 3FE to work in your truck and satisfy the smog nazis.

If a diesel conversion is more than you want to take on right now, and if your existing 2F is truely fawked, you might look into buying a "low mile" or rebuilt long block from a place like SOR or Man A Fre. Cruiserparts.net also sells used 2F motors.

IMHO

You probably just have a blown head gasket, if the oil pressure is OK just replace the head gasket $800 out the door. If you really want to get fancy you could do the head gasket and rebuild the head and have the head pressure tested for cracks. Save yourself some money for something cool like a safari roof rack or lift kit.

just talked to my buddy with the 3fe. He says he has everything for it, off a 92 fj80. He says he has it all down to the air filter. He will give this to me for a great price (under 1k) and put me on the "pay me with beer and cigars" plan. This is interesting to me, and might be the cheapest option if a head gasket is 800.00 by itself. the reason I am worried about the head being cracked is that it was magnafluxed at the time of the rebuild and I thought that I would have been checked then.

anyway, I think I am leaning in this direction simply because of cost. I have even been talking with the wife about what it would be like to have a 5th gear in this thing (h55), and if I can keep the price down with the other engine I might have some bargaining room.

thoughts?

Oh Yeah, djaniss99 - got a con-ferr 4x6 (just newly powdercoated) and a 4 inch sor lift sitting on 33 procomps. However, SOA would sure be nice!!!

gillti said:
anyway, I think I am leaning in this direction simply because of cost. I have even been talking with the wife about what it would be like to have a 5th gear in this thing (h55), and if I can keep the price down with the other engine I might have some bargaining room.
There are plentu fo 3Fs running around in the third world with H55Fs. The later FJ60s had a bellhouse marked with 3F so it's likely they will bolt up (do some research!).

If youy're set on transplanting a 3FE make sure you get EVERYTHING with it, from air cleaner to fuel pump/gas tank to wiring harness to computer. If you can't get it all your "free" engine will cost you bigtime.

just a thought, I'm not too sure that you can register a diesel in California that was not originally sold here... even if it can happen, I'm not too sure if the smog refs will accept a gas to diesel conversion either. Just something to think about. Also, you might make a call to cruiserparts.net and see if they have any words of wisdom on the swap, or TLC in Van Nuys- they are both real nice-my$.02...

Diesel is out for me. . . too much cash. However, I did just check out the 3fe my buddy is willing to give me. It's got everything. I will post pics tonight. Smog Stuff, O2 sensors, A/C, Starter, Alternator, You name it, it's there. I think the only thing he doesn't have are the mounts.

here are a few questions:
1. Could I hook up the A/C to the 60. Mine is currently not working.
2. Anybody know of a place in So Cal that can do this? (besides man-a-fre and TLC)

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated. I am sure that I don't even know what questions I should be asking.

The 3FE swap has been done and it is fairly straight forward. Godwin wrote an article in Trails a few years back and has a lot of knowledge on the swap.

For starters go here: http://www.fourwheeler.com/techarticles/129_0012_swap/

3FE swap into an FJ60 is straightforward but if you're going to pay a shop I doubt it would be cheap.

You can keep the FJ60 AC but you may need an AC amplifier for the 3FE.

Another option may be to grab the 3FE head, get a set of 3F manifolds and appropriate carb and skip the fuel injection. This route may or may not pass CA emissions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom