Let's talk clutches (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I'm in the market for a new clutch. After looking at my options, I am curious to see what you are running and what you like.

My 60 will be a daily driver, with a semi-hi performance 2F, stock 4spd (for now, H55 later), and 33" tires. I will use it for light to moderate 4-wheeling, and some towing. Longevity and superior grip is what I'm looking for.

Here is a short run down on what I found. I am also going to call Profitts and Marlin to see what they offer.

Man-a-fre seems to have a good selection. They offer a standard diapragm clutch, a centerforce clutch, and a heavy duty centerforce.
Downey has what they call a super clutch (click into the clutch section), which supposedly gives 500 more clamping lbs. from stock.
Sor of course has a standard kit, but they also have an extreme clutch disc. Looks interesting.
Cool cruisers also has a special clutch disc, and a full kit, looks like it uses the same disc.
Lastly, JTO also has a heavy centerforce clutch. Looks to be the same as MAF, with a higher price.

So any suggestions, concerns, or drawbacks about any of these? Thanks.

Last edited:
I use OEM and no name remans in all sorts of 2F setups. Including some pretty hot rodded combos. I usually use a local builder who can reline a clutch disc for me while I wait.

Even a plain jane no name clutch from your local parts store will perform just fine. You won't be able to tell any difference between that and any of the super cool ones that cost a lot more.

Mark...

Interesting. So is it possible that my pressure plate is okay and the clutch disc needs work or replacing? They both look pretty bad to me but I don't really know what I'm looking at.

Very possible that the pressure plate is ok and that the disc is all that needs replacement. Also possible that the surface of the plate is damaged (wear) and the flywheel face as well. These pieces can be machined, It is sometimes difficult to find someone to actually resurface the pressure plate rather than just replacing it.

Mark...

Well I know I'm getting my flywheel resurfaced, and I need to get my clutch stuff worked out so my whole rotating assembly can go to the balancer. Thanks.

Last edited:
I just installed the Cool Cruisers Full clutch kit. The clutch plate was asian and the pressure plate was borbek. I also replaced the rear main seal and had the flywheel resurfaced. I used CCOT b/c of there proxmity. Every thing bolted on and after 2k miles and a weekend of wheeling at the lone star cruiser round up I am still a happy camper.

Do the job your self it just takes time and patience.

Here is a link to my clutch adventure.
https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=133804

As for whether to install a high performance pressure plate I am unsure of. I often think of it however even wheeling and fast accelerations my clutch is transferring all of the power to the rear wheels. Any lack there of is due to my 2F :D

Anyone using a centerforce clutch?

Last edited:
Had one in my RN80 truck with built 22RE, couldn't tell the difference. Like Mark said, as long as your pressure plate and flywheel are in good shape, you won't notice much, if any, difference. Find a clutch shop in town and see what they have. Some times even the cheap sets have an ASCO disc inside.

I guess I should have clarified. I also have a center force clutch in one of my rigs, and have installed them in others. Not really any improvement in performance.

Mark...

Last edited:
i replaced my pressure plate, clutch disc, throw out bearing, and slave last weekend with man-a-fre's kit. it took seven hours and a beefy tranny jack. (i have an 84 fj60 with 210k and she's my daily driver) then i took it wheelin' on a fairly tough trail (see carnage canyon, boulder) and she did great!

shopped around and man-a-fre's was the best deal. imho

good luck.

I just put one of these Exedy performance clutches and it made a world of difference.
Im using one of their light duty jobs in my other cruiser but it doesnt keep the gearbox vibration down as well as the heavy duty type.

If your going to rebuild the old clutch disc with new linings dont use an old pressure plate with blue burn marks;)
esperance trip 118 (Small).jpg

I went OEM for my H55. That said, Ive had very good experiences with Center Force clutches in the past.

I have never heard of a clutch reducing vibrations in the tranny..

Solid center disks causing vibrations, but never reducing vibs..

I have never heard of a clutch reducing vibrations in the tranny..

Solid center disks causing vibrations, but never reducing vibs..

I got the advice from a gearbox rebuilder who does nothing but landcruiser 5speeds.
When I looked on Exedy's aussie site they claimed their clutches had vibration damping qualities so I thought I would try one.

Im getting ready for a 7000klm trek to central oz (ayers rock etc) and Im going on a 1600 klm dirt rd each way. I couldnt have stood doing it with the old clutch and the vibration it allowed.
Anyway the new one has dampened it by 90% ;)

I use OEM and no name remans in all sorts of 2F setups. Including some pretty hot rodded combos. I usually use a local builder who can reline a clutch disc for me while I wait.

Even a plain jane no name clutch from your local parts store will perform just fine. You won't be able to tell any difference between that and any of the super cool ones that cost a lot more.

Mark...

X2 They're all good.

Even the Centerforce is just a rebuilt Aisin pressure plate with the little weight dongles on the fingers.

Vibration from a clutch? Can't say I've felt that before, but also can't say I've looked for it. Seems possible that it could happen though.

Gearbox vibration? Never heard of that. Clutch that dampens said vibration?

Mark...

Gearbox vibration? Never heard of that. Clutch that dampens said vibration?

Mark...

Maybe vibration is not the right word,I got it from a Toyota trained mechanic:rolleyes:

This how Exedy Aust descibe it.

"SILENT TYPE DISC H/D EXEDY multi rate spring type clutch used to avoid G/Box rattle due to High Torque & compression in these applications"

Whatever it does it works. Ive just did 5500 klms through the desert and back on a dirt road and it was great.

I think the noise comes from very small amounts of slippage in the clutch.
Gets worse as everything warms up(before)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom