lets talk charcoal canisters (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i did a search and cant exactly get this answered.
i have fuel system leak,comes out of the bottom of the canister.like a gallon at a time.what should i do???im thinkin eliminate it,get a vented gas cap and move on.i think theres maybe routing issues with the fuel lines that come into the canister.hell the one it leaks out of goes nowhere,but the amount of fuel that is coming out of it is just not normal.
you guys got pics,or a scematic or something
73 fj40,with a 2f,f carb.thanks
shawn

mine leaked as well, so i ditched it.

Shawn, for some reason it seems that Toyota left that bit of the system unfinished. IT would make sense if the particles of gas that accumulated in the charcoal canister [while not in the gallon range] should go back to the tank, they didn't run the line there, but left it in limbo, as you have discovered.

While it might seem like a simple enough thing to finish plumbing what seems like a return line back to the tank, keep in mind that as the tank pressurizes, it would put backpressure on the line, adversely affecting the performance of the charcoal canister.

While a properly working charcoal canister is a good thing, the few that I have seen in your condition I would say are downright dangerous! If you really want to keep the system stock, I think I've got a used canister I got from orangefj45 I could send you in exchange for a $20donation to the Friends of the Rubicon.

well Mark,i was hoping youd chime in on this.
if i was to eliminate the canister how would i go about doing that.would i have any adverse affects on the runability of my rig.and do you sell vented gas caps.i no longer wanna have a dangerous rig.what the hell was toyota thinking by leaving that open like that.
shawn

Who's Al? :confused:

I only sell factory caps. As much as you might dread this thought, Ige might be able to help you locate a cap. I think she even posted on this recently.

With a vented cap, you shouldn't have enough pressure to make your charcoal canister act up, so I would try that before eliminating the canister from the system. I say this because a properly working canister is an asset. It takes the heavier vapors and routes them into the intake, where they get burned. Vented vapors=wasted fuel!

i have heard of people drilling a small hole in the filler neck,when they elminate the canister.whats peoples ideas on that?

i have no hose running to the intake though,the PO put a bolt in it.what a friggin mess.
i will start with a vented cap and see where it takes me.thanks

Magoo said:
i have heard of people drilling a small hole in the filler neck,when they elminate the canister.whats peoples ideas on that?

hole in filler neck = hole in cab = fumes in cab = hole in your head! :flipoff2:

i.e. it needs to vent OUTSIDE the cab. ;p

Good night.

Here is the schematic for the 1973 F engine emission system.

Last edited:
Anyone know how to attach a charcoal canister without a VSV? My rig is desmogged and I run a weber. I've asked before but I don't think I ever got an answer. Not a huge deal, only smells when I have the tank completely full to the brim.

thats my deal as well.i only have a canister,no vsv,or fuel seperator.seems like they all need to be there for the system to work.i think im just gonna can it.

Shawn , are you sniffing the charcoal canister again? ;)

Just use it as a filter for the fumes.....

There is something seriously wrong with either the fuel/vapor separator or the plumbing if you have a lot of gas coming out of the can. Fix it or just toss it, plug the line, get a vented cap and put up with the stink.

Mark, That's nothing. I have seen Shawn drive with the Gas smell in the cab AND smoking a cig.

I hooked up my charcoal cannister on my de-smogged '76 with weber - but only to use it as tank vent and don't route to the manifold as that requires emissions computer, VSV, and other stuff I no longer have.

Took line from fuel separator and route under frame up to one of the inputs on the charcoal cannister. Capped off the other input. The bottom drain line runs a little under the cab and then just vents to open air.

Its only been hooked up this way a week but I've driven it every day and no gas smell - and no tank pressure buildup. I got what I wanted - some type of tank vent better than just capping off the tank vent lines (which is what was on the truck when I got it). Bought fuel sep + Charcoal Cannister used for like $40 or so.

AndrewT

Romer said:
Mark, That's nothing. I have seen Shawn drive with the Gas smell in the cab AND smoking a cig.

Thanks for the heads-up Ken! I'll remember to camp FAR AWAY from Shawn until further notice! :flipoff2:

Shawn, going with GroundUp's diagram and what PinHead said, It is hard to imagine gas pumping up all the way thru the in-cab separator to get into the canister to begin with. Have you checked out all the plumbing agains the diagram?

Romer said:
hey...i did that for years in the lemon...great way to keep everyone from parking anywhere near you until you replace the hose from the filler neck to the tank ;)

thing i don't understand is on magoo's rig, the hose frm the sid eofthe tank by the console goes to the canister which means fuel is via gravity going into the canister :confused: :confused: just don't seem right...i've never had a oem setup except for my 60. i've also never had fuel pouring out of my canister like shawn does

i think it turns out that i just dont have a fuel seperator.seems to be a big item.all i have is a canister,and the line that runs to it comes from the center of the tank like ige said.so that line goes to the top of the can,then the one toyota just ran to the frame comes out of the bottom of the can.
my theory is thiis.when the tank is full it has nowhere to vent and just pushes fuel out of the tank into the canister onto the ground.
oh yeah a little bit of fuel smell aint gonna stop the lightr from lightn my ciggy.:)
shawn

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom