lets talk bvsv (1) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

g-man

SILVER Star
Threads
I broke the nipple on my bvsv (1) while removing the vacuum piping during an intake/exhaust manifold overhaul. while I'm waiting for my new bvsv to arrive, I'm wondering which way to rig it. Looks like the primary purpose of the bvsv 1 is to open up the egr valve when things heat up. So should I loop a section of vacuum line to keep it always open and thus the valve or should I plug the lines and keep the EGR valve off until I get the part? What else does the BVSV 1 do? Looks like there is a "T" in the piping so even though vacuum comes from the "advancer port" on the carb, vacuum will still get the distributor and vacuum advance shouldn't be affected either way I plug this.

1639847113500.png

If you wait for the engine to warm after starting it, you don’t need the bvsv’s. Whatever broke, just connect the two vacuum hoses together and wait 7-8 minutes before pulling away

In the future, when removing the vacuum spaghetti piping, cut the vacuum hoses connecting to the BVSVs with an exacto knife before removing piping. Then replace the cut pieces later with new.
When installing, lube up the BVSV nipple with spit or lube so that the vacuum hose slides over it easily.
You broke one BVSV and the unbroken one is next unless you’re really careful with it.

In the future, when removing the vacuum spaghetti piping, cut the vacuum hoses connecting to the BVSVs with an exacto knife before removing piping. Then replace the cut pieces later with new.
When installing, lube up the BVSV nipple with spit or lube so that the vacuum hose slides over it easily.
You broke one BVSV and the unbroken one is next unless you’re really careful with it.
I appreciate the feedback.

I broke it while trying to get a socket and extension in there to loosen the thermostat to head bolt. It holds the metal vacuum piping in place at the front. I should have removed the vacuum hose first and got it out of the way but I was trying to go around it. My BVSV wasn't that old but a couple years of heat cycles probably makes the plastic very brittle. Fortunately the #1 bvsv (violet for the 60 series) is still available from Toyota.

Rather than trying to connecting two very short pieces of vacuum hose, I'll take a spare hose about 5 or 6 inches long and loop it to connect the two pipes and complete the circuit.

Reactions: OSS

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom