Lets See Your Jerry Can Rack Pics (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm looking to build a jerry can rack and looking to see some pics of what other people have done. I have looked at lots of pics here on mud but haven't really seen what I have in mind. I'm not really looking for a tire/jerry can rack, I want something that will work with the factory tire carrier. I don't want it bolted to the door I'm thinking something that is hinged and swings out of the way for use of the rear doors.

I want something that will work with the factory tire carrier.

You want to add more weight to the existing carrier?

How would it 'work with' it?

here you go dude.
fj 93.jpg
fj 96.jpg

cool carrier. Your garage is entirely too neat and tidy. you must be either retired or have no kids....

Here is my rack multi-functional works as a roof rack also :hmm:
Picture 175.jpg

Last edited:
You want to add more weight to the existing carrier?

How would it 'work with' it?

No...sorry let me be more clear. I want something to mount to the other side of the 40, that would swing out for use of the rear doors. The jerry can rack on the left side and the spare tire on the right. I'm thinking something that would mount in a similar fashion to the tire carrier. I would not want it to attach to or interfere with the tire carrier.

fieldsken1 and Dieseler nice carriers those would work too

Last edited:
Eshu Elegua....Something like your second picture is what I'm thinking of. But a slight change, the tire on the factory carrier to the far right and two jerry cans to the far left.

then why dont you put a tire carrier on the other side also and build a rack to hold jerry cans. some fjs came with tire carriers on the other side also

the first pic its my 40,the second was from a 40 offer for sale here locally long time ago, theres many ideas to make your best way to use it,if money its tide then i guess you have to make it or buy an aftermarket combo rear bumper

Jepson - I know this option isn't quite what you're looking for, but I just uncovered a stash of about 6 of the above Kayline jerry can/spare tire carriers (exactly what texfj40 is showing) . If anyone is looking for this type of setup, PM me.....hijack over......

I agree with the post above. Find a stock tire carrier (tube style is stronger with less flex) and bolt it up to the side you don't already have a tire on... add a simple frame to keep the gas from falling off the back and you are all set up.

5 gallon gas cans, when full are about 45#s or so... add two and you are just under 100#'s with steel and hardware...

Thats why you see a lot of BEEFY racks above, there are a lot of forces at play with an explosive fuel in the balance.

something to mount to the other side of the 40, that would swing out for use of the rear doors. The jerry can rack on the left side and the spare tire on the right. I'm thinking something that would mount in a similar fashion to the tire carrier. I would not want it to attach to or interfere with the tire carrier.

Hey guy,
That sounds exactly like the way mine is constructed. It was on my rig when I bought it, so I don't know where it came from originally. Its a little roughly made, but appears to be "store-bought." Maybe old Downey or Con-fer. On mine the rack and the tire carrier kind of scissor and latch together when you close them, and it works pretty well. Although I think mounting to the frame or cage would be optimal.

I'll post a few pics if you like.

Brian.

my dad's 68 has the original tire carrier on the PS and a 75 tire carrier on the DS. He has a small truck under bed tool box with a cooler rack on one, but you could easily make a jerry can holder. Sorry, this is the best picture I have of it.
P1010169sm.JPG

That sounds exactly like the way mine is constructed. It was on my rig when I bought it, so I don't know where it came from originally. Its a little roughly made, but appears to be "store-bought." Maybe old Downey or Con-fer. On mine the rack and the tire carrier kind of scissor and latch together when you close them, and it works pretty well. Although I think mounting to the frame or cage would be optimal.

BrianSanDiego

I would like to see what you have. Post up some pics if you can.

THis goes with the stock tire carrier
005.JPG
009.JPG

Last edited:
Here ya go Jepson.
Like I said, mine is far from optimal but so far is has held up OK. If it was mounted to something other than sheetmetal it would be better. I took off the Cepek gas can holder to make room for my jack.

The last photo shows the bracket that slides onto the stock tire carrier as you close it. The bracket fits between the two 1/2" tubing sections that are attached to the stock rack, supporting the "loose" end of the gas can rack. The rack is a bit flimsy when open and I have to be careful with it, but when closed it is pretty solid and doesn't flex much or rattle.

Hope this helps,
B.
IMG_2781.jpg
IMG_2786.jpg
IMG_2791.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom