Let's see your gauge cluster! Looking for ideas.. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Here is one I am in the process of manufacturing. This is for those of us that don't have any of the lower dash pads. It uses dash pad holes for the mounting. The guages are set for standard 2 autometer 3-3/8" & 4 2" guages. It has holes for turn signals, high beam, & check engine for conversions. THis is the first prtotype I had made and I will now need to cut one more for my rig. However, if anyone is interested I can have one cut. I have no idea of price at this point. As soon as I get it mounted I will post more pictures. It is cut out of 3/16" thick aluminum and was cut on a water jet machine. So far I thin it looks cool. It does look really good installed as well. I will have it powder coated to match the rest of my trim work.

Greg

Last edited:
ok where did those auto meter gauges come from? i have looked all over and cont find them anywhere online. please help me.

Unless waterjet is easily available, I wouldn't reccomend it if you are going to powdercoat the material anyway, even though waterjet is fast through aluminum, laser is still faster. of course if your going to laser, you might as well go stainless steel and get it cheaper.

I was going to have it laser cut but they told me it was not as acurate or clean as water jet. They said the laser could follow any type of imperfection in the medal and be slightly off. THe water jet place was right down the road and was very reasonable for the work he did. He had to take my cardboard template and draw it in autocad and then cut it out of wood to compare to the template and then he cut it out of aluminum he supplied. After all said and done he charged me $100. The water jet is amazingly accurate.

WHat does speed have to do with anything anyway? Accuracy is what is important. I really wasn't racing anyone in getting this cut out...

THe guages I will use and look like most of the ones in this post are autometer ultralites.

sorry, didn't mean to offend you, this kind of work is what I do on a daily basis, and waterjet just isn't cost effective for most parts, it has it's place for plastics, and soft metals, as well as over 1" thicknesses, but it's not something we use a lot of compared to laser.

no offense taken - just the laser guy I first asked sent me to the waterjet guy. He felt it would be a better product.

Greg

Gages

These are from BTB in NV
84792376107_0_ALB.jpg
41150486107_0_ALB.jpg

I'm looking to do nearly the same thing as the cutout I see in this post that spans the entire length of the dash... My situation is a bit different as I have a fiberglass tub/front that the prev. owner butchered. There are gauges, knobs, and switches in various places an horrible arrangement. I plan to take everything off, and place a clean single piece over the top.

Does anyone have any pointers about materials, thickness, cost, etc? I have zero experience with custom metalwork. I plan to make a cardboard template and see if the local place will do it. Should I go brushed stainless (less glare) aluminum, add anodize, etc? Any imput or additional pictures (for brainstorming) are greatly appreciated.

THx

Here's my setup...the plexiglass is temporary, but I'll use this config. I'm using the stock mounting holes. I did have to trim the dash a bit to make them fit. These are Autometer Phantoms, and I also used an Autometer fuel sender. I bought all of these gauges off eBay...

Chris
gauges.jpg

Here is my write up on the Autometer guages.
guages2.jpg

Advent,

I did have to trim a bit for the four corner gauges, and the fuel gauge. I didn't like that part too much, since my dash was original. I basically modified the layout of the Warden's bezel. My Phantoms didn't fit the Warden's bezel because of the lip on the gauges overlapped. You can see the sections that needed to be ground down in the first pic, and the second shows the gauge opening in the dash after grinding. The third pic is with the gauges installed temporarily...

Edit: After looking at the pics, I forgot to mention about having to cut out part of the support rib (in blue in the second pic)...

Chris
gauges01.jpg
gauges02.jpg
gauges03.jpg

Nice and clean install, Bill!

you guys should sell these guages, i would definetly be interested in buying one...dont have the time to make one myself!

I just mounted a tranny temp and water temp in the ash tray slot ;)

Not directly in front of you but you don't have to hack up any metal. I used 1/8" Alum. to mount them

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom