Lets see those painted wheels (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Lets start a thread on painted wheels. That way forum members can get an idea of what different color combinations they like. I'll start ...
upload_2017-2-21_9-55-38.png

^ Duplicolor wheel paint ( HWP102 Graphite )

upload_2017-2-21_9-57-20.png

^ Duplicolor wheel paint ( HWP 105 Bronze )

IMG_1157.JPG

Rust-oleum Automotive High Performance Wheel Spray Paint
DescriptionRust-Oleum Automotive High Performance Wheel Spray Paint
  • 11 Oz. Aerosol
  • Steel Finish
  • Long Lasting Finish
  • Ideal For Metal And Plastic
  • Stops Rust Formula
  • Any Angle Spray With Comfort Tip
  • Recommended For Use On Plastic Hubcaps And Wheels Made Of Aluminum Or Steel,
  • FYI I used the aluminum self etching primer

Here's Duplicolor Graphite under a couple coats of clear on a 40th...sorry for the mall crawler pics...best ones i have to show the colors off...

IMG_4518.JPG

IMG_4517.JPG

IMG_4516.JPG

I installed mine last weekend. I used Rustoleum Wheel Paint in the Graphite color and Rustoleum Primer-Filler to smooth out any marks. I used a wire wheel on my angle grinder to remove all of the old top coat/sealer stuff and cleaned them well with brake cleaner. I like them.

LC1.jpg

20170219_091809 (2).jpg

wheel.jpg

Here's a few example of wheels I've painted. All were painted with either Rustoleum or VHT rattle can.

80 Series Alloys painted with VHT graphite/Clearcoat

Ultra Motorsports En4cer Type 181 painted with VHT Graphite/clearcoat

Same Ultra Wheels as above painted with Rustoleum Satin Black/Clearcoat

80 Series Alloys painted with Rustoleum Satin Black/Clearcoat

SCS SR8 wheels painted with Rustoleum Stainless Steel/Clearcoat

How are you guys prepping these wheels before paint? Just primer or taking the old finish off and then primer?
I have some OEM wheels off of the 97 that could use some revitalizing.

How are you guys prepping these wheels before paint? Just primer or taking the old finish off and then primer?
I have some OEM wheels off of the 97 that could use some revitalizing.
This white ones above were chromed before. Bling city. Yuck, and probably from 1993, so there was corrosion behind the chrome. I paid to have a proper chemical strip. No sandblasting. There was still enough corrosion damage that I spent a lot of hours going through the grits hand sanding each one. Then I did a rattle can aluminum primer. Holding up well. I did go with tape on wheel weights.

Should I keep the wheels stock or switch it up with graphite?
mMyMzK13C_u-dAV0GkTCgCdzeSU5zpqGdcE8j9voWLJVay2jbzPdxVJ_PVPZ4pBxCWhDJUzWvCyv5zLQdU6e84mSdaOTapDw1Qu1sxTfB384ou7hdJEVPMce7zEy7ACU_sq9lrAUMs12gEglmn9TUHbatLebeS2kO5i6SZmeKq5ceRT-8vSDels46CkncoytLSzN4Fpigj_u-08fMpx0X1E7dF_xERqnQUZT5SKp-C07TVVNVezupc5FNS9nlzxVXGu30bOghM-cOG-su-DjqqGGlW6Jne7rqfTEZk6Uyg9pWty8LUu808evEFyh2ELs9T3j6PJ-kgdhpAYz6UjOr9EaBN0g9XGXimAOyMNl8T037TekJjbj2lwTmqfOuvW7rxIVSZC0QRCQ4h9xJou1gDChtrK6Zg0VeAfGVGPV3i9v-_RW_A_v_j7go60typNOHHbjojDLOSWmKSCHt38_wwiueQsJEV6VWrRoXKa_-kI_jG_rH6sZkaf_LLD4OpANHYW81AxK2q14o51PV1WXz-OHX0qnYVg0h9J_INLqhnHhnqwKSPzRt8IMKdG_OcHqBkvfH_jQ-ISMhkWBTvmC1qfOCLljuKVgnA1_LZcr1A6wd7JzVi_t=w851-h638-no

I vote for Graphite with clear. It really brings in the stripe on the 40th anniversary models.

Love this thread! Anyone sprayed their stock wheels on an LX?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom