Let's see some roof ladders (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking for some easier access to my roof rack and need some ideas :hmm:

Currently, I either put a floor mat over one of the rear doors with the windows down and make like a monkey or climb through the sunroof :rolleyes:
Either way is a chore for my fat arse, so I'm just lookin for sumthin easier :meh:

Mot's rear ladder is out since I have lights mounted on the spoiler and both of my swings are already occupied with a spare and cooler/utility box :redface:

So now I'm considering side ladders like this, but on both sides attached to both the gutter rails and the Hefty Wings :idea:

0.jpg

clip-image028.jpg

6687818307_f33a5cebc2.jpg

I know they're pretty much frowned upon around here as they can get hung up and possibly cause serious damage, but I think I'll be ok if I'm careful and fab them closer to the body :hmm:

Let's see some pix of what you guys have so I can get some gears churning....

Dammit, I need more info about this truck. Iceland is where we filmed Prometheus so its cool so see the landscape. Its very recognizable now.

Curious what the white thing is? GPS? Mini-Snork? And very curious about the step plates. I thought this was a no-no because the hood isn't very strong.

As for the step ladder, I love this screen grab but because of my future mods I can't go off the side although I want.

Iceland-80.jpg
Iceland-80a.jpg

@NLXTACY, I've eyed this one before myself, wish I knew more about it also. My guess would be GPS too. Here's another angle I've seen when nerding out on LC videos on youtube :hillbilly:

I like this ladder style as well, going between this approach or pursuing OEM steps up the rear corner PS. Someday.

Screen Shot 2014-10-09 at 6.07.39 PM.png

OK, just throwing this out there....

When I was a kid, I had a set of these folding foot pegs on my BMX Freestyle bike :hmm:

foldingfootpegs.jpg

I figure I could bend a single DOM tube connecting the gutter rail to the Hefty Wing, then stagger a few of the clamp on pegs :idea:

Sumthin like this :meh:

signleladderfoldup.jpg

Or go with a pair of DOM tubes spaced just wide enough to fit one foot in between and again, stagger a set of pegs on each tube, like this :meh:

dualfoldupladder.jpg

I suck at paint, I know :rolleyes:

And very curious about the step plates. I thought this w as a no-no because the hood isn't very strong

I have over 150 lbs of seat stacked on a hood right now and it's doing fine. If you add diamond plate to it and bolt it to the support it'll take it especially that far back.

Dammit, I need more info about this truck. Iceland is where we filmed Prometheus so its cool so see the landscape. Its very recognizable now.

Curious what the white thing is? GPS? Mini-Snork? And very curious about the step plates. I thought this was a no-no because the hood isn't very strong.

As for the step ladder, I love this screen grab but because of my future mods I can't go off the side although I want.

View attachment 951507 View attachment 951508
I have 3 sets of those hood plates that I made a few months ago if anyone wants them. Will post pics tomorrow.
I love that dudes rig with the camo paint and Gumbo Monster mudders so cool.

Last edited:
Hood plates.. been a long day... like the ones in the pic you posted. I had them powder coated too just never got around to posting them up to see if anyone wanted them for their rig. They strengthen up the hood quite a bit.
Roof plates?

Hood plates.. been a long day... like the ones in the pic you posted. I had them powder coated too just never got around to posting them up to see if anyone wanted them for their rig. They strengthen up the hood quite a bit.

PM info. I've been thinking about doing it forever but was always lead to believe it was a no no.

If you do fold down step pegs on the side, you might as well do a ladder. The issue is clearance away from the body, so that your feet can actually stay on the pegs. Too little clearance and only your big toes will fit.

Maybe figure out how to slap some of these on the rear? They're deep and wide enough for the foot to come at it from the front. They will either be knurled on the surface or have grip tape. Either way work well in the rain.

http://www.mooreindhardware.com/fire-hardware.html

I bought one of these & it works great. Helpful tying down the kayaks

image.jpg

What size are they? Put me second in line

I have the 4x4Lab ladder mounted on a swingout with a cooler rack mounted in middle of the ladder, basically making my ladder into an aesthetic ornament. Could do a folding ladder off of the roof rack that way when its needed you can flip it down. If it is mounted to the bumper and fixed to something on the body, body flex will need to be accounted for. (Or with a fixed side mounted ladder if someone wanted to carjack you, it can give them something to hold onto while you takeoff.)

I fab'd this about week ago after seeing a picture of it on Pinterest when searching for "Overlanding". I drew it in AutoCad, programmed it for CNC machines, formed it and fit and welded it up. It uses a 1500lb ratchet strap to hold it to the tire. I weigh 250lbs and I was not even worried that it would slip once i stepped on it. Very secure! I still need to paint it though.
IMG_5052.JPG
IMG_5053.JPG

I fab'd this about week ago after seeing a picture of it on Pinterest when searching for "Overlanding". I drew it in AutoCad, programmed it for CNC machines, formed it and fit and welded it up. It uses a 1500lb ratchet strap to hold it to the tire. I weigh 250lbs and I was not even worried that it would slip once i stepped on it. Very secure! I still need to paint it though.
View attachment 951739 View attachment 951740

Not a solution for me because I don't have a rear tire mount, but admirable execution all the same. :cheers:

Last edited:
My buddy has a side ladder on his 4runner. Works great. Attaches on the bumper and roof. You'll need to build in some flex joints though to allow for movement between body and chassis.

izPSGsB.jpg

View attachment 951739 View attachment 951740

Brilliant!!

I'd have clearance issues with my cooler though :doh:

My buddy has a side ladder on his 4runner. Works great. Attaches on the bumper and roof. You'll need to build in some flex joints though to allow for movement between body and chassis.

izPSGsB.jpg

Just curious, but on your 80, how do you use your rear ladder with the jerry can holder in the way?

Does it have a split swing out or do you just climb up from the back of it when it's swung out?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom