Let's play Name That Front Axle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jvincig01

SILVER Star
Threads
I need to clean up the front axle on my '67 40 and do some brake line maintenance while I'm at it. However, I have never been quite certain what year and model my front axle is off of. Some say early 80's FJ60, some say mini-truck. I say I have no idea. 🤷‍♂️

Anything that makes it blatantly obvious what this is off of?
Screen Shot 2022-09-04 at 11.41.48 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-09-04 at 11.41.58 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-09-04 at 11.42.06 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-09-04 at 11.42.25 PM.png

Brake line route is typical of ‘67ish

Has either of the arms on the top of the knuckle been cut off on the back side? Mini-truck have an extra arm on the back of the driver’s side that would need to be cut off.

Are there shims in the arms to make the TREs fit? Are they 40 or 60 TREs?

Offhand they look like large pattern ‘79+ knuckles. The way to be sure would be to measure the stud spacing. I’ve only ever had small pattern knuckles.

Bolt pattern of the rotors. 76-78 have 6 holes and 79+ have 8.

solid rotor points toward mini truck axle outers, but then that begs the question what year axle housing do you have?
the 67 would have had an inner bushing not a seal, there was a Chicago Rawhide part # that maybe worked in these axles, or someone machined it out to accept a seal or the axle housing was swapped out for a later housing and the knuckles out were swapped on.
until it is apart no one will know.
if the inner balls were ground some itis most likely an early housing that was clearanced for the larger birf.
do you have dual circuit brakes?

Measure the pattern of the Steering Arm Bolt pattern/stud size, then you'll know what to order.

Small Pattern (E-1/79' 40/55 Series)
46 mm x 30 mm, 11 mm stud

Large Pattern (1/79'-1/90' 40/55/60/70 Series & 79'-85' PU & 4Runner)
55 mm x 30 mm, 12 mm stud

Measure the pattern of the Steering Arm Bolt pattern/stud size, then you'll know what to order.

Small Pattern (E-1/79' 40/55 Series)
46 mm x 30 mm, 11 mm stud

Large Pattern (1/79'-1/90' 40/55/60/70 Series & 79'-85' PU & 4Runner)
55 mm x 30 mm, 12 mm stud
Just measured 55x30 with a 12mm stud 👍. So I think I have the knuckles figured out. Thank you!

Brake line route is typical of ‘67ish

Has either of the arms on the top of the knuckle been cut off on the back side? Mini-truck have an extra arm on the back of the driver’s side that would need to be cut off.

Are there shims in the arms to make the TREs fit? Are they 40 or 60 TREs?

Offhand they look like large pattern ‘79+ knuckles. The way to be sure would be to measure the stud spacing. I’ve only ever had small pattern knuckles.

Bolt pattern of the rotors. 76-78 have 6 holes and 79+ have 8.

Just checked the back of the arms and they are not cut.

If I remember correctly, I replaced the TREs years ago and needed a shim in the arms. I think the TREs are from a 60. And just confirmed the 8 bolts are 55x30mm.

If you needed a shim in the arms then they are most likely not 60 series TRE's . 60's have a larger taper than mintruck or fj40's . It would make sense that you needed shims in the arms as the hole is larger in 60 series arms. If they are 60 series tie rod ends then the drag link at the steering box should be a rebuildable joint and the links would have been cut down to fit. The solid rotors indicate mini truck brakes. The arms do look like 60 series arms. I still think they are most likely mintruck or FJ40 TRE's hence the reason for the need of shims to make them fit.

So I took some more pictures and went through some old receipts. Found that I swapped the tie rod ends for Fj40 and purchased shims for the arms 10 years ago. After further inspection of the driverside arm, the J hook on the rear was indeed cut by the previous owner. They are Large Pattern (1/79'-1/90' 40/55/60/70 Series & 79'-85' PU & 4Runner) like @mattressking said.

IMG_2084.JPG

Also found this picture on the world wide web. The brake line routing and arms (sans j arm) are identical to my rig. I have no idea what's going on with the linkage but mine have been replaced already anyway.

84fj40.jpeg

I am going to focus on my brake line hoses first. Looks like this one is rubbing on the driver's side. Thoughts on stainless vs OEM hoses? Note that I will likely be going to a 2-inch lift in the next 24 months.

IMG_2085.JPG

Stainless brake lines usually have Teflon liners and will not expand like rubber brake lines so tend to firm up the pedal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom