Let's play a game! What's. That. Leak! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys,

I started on my long overdue front main seal and oil pump gasket replacement tonight and noticed a lot of oil under the truck in a spot I wasn't sure about. This pic is my best attempt:

-dXCkHv8iVWJhnGjRUUGah2WqZWjUUybMSIwk9KL6-CeKDmRMvkG-sQaMLGGhG5qg2d4IrVU5jHgWiEifpGkmi3ALbaCES41lM9hDeE4HStQDsf2KEkL5q2BXkcb9pGa33nxgFXTSUlwUGCHRGMQgoRXZLvWXi2VcSzRjJOJ7gq8AvcO-AfmuMrDq0rw7d8MzW3cqk0doyUKyDg7BgdCuVFjmpiMmkrgRbUbIqzk18RmhkFxG7n9bwMARk5TqSPksP9qAh91zwJM1MwN5lfH_ufoUttk-sjzNqz55mTNRXSlhuLVTPGvR3JpuMkh2oUKkzBXfYNqqsyQgyJmr-wJxuFZc6TrLq37b1Xeafy3-zACcAquSRDu1Er37rBS0LvkDrMrfuNTmOt8HfhwzJVKsbHusBBmaXleipiPOkA9jWevt2PUq5Nr523mDRdDJqKk1C4FUTSPXD3lZe4cHk8MV6SE0417gvnuous9yobpm1PWzITA3MiocnqKOfUgyPnWxJ_NE5EbEIByvk0pb5Pvo4py13DLjtp8zQKBHMnrbL725joi1lZuwEj_8COMHrpGtjfD9XDSoUgixfebTN03atw35blAIvTPOYVxrYH3G42C6xTIZb4e5h4cjCMH4UKqxQbWgDb7MyKbTE5px8DPuR7DP1fNYKtqVnJEc6B3YhdocSdqc6oZGL0cU3UzNzSk672AHTFza3rl3OjSGdDEVWFpgol71AKmltKSSTP5ciNL07lXSA3XI57auZDC7uU5JYUfYEnwAdbeZiEJ_E4hu_bwEzQNochtGy5rgFyIiSzcWsNZk2vVIBYAhzAYhXxM4sWkfMY4q7a39d8Bx_-Aqcitj2L624rISQ74Ch68w3fSq47E367iHQyY4rjkboffNqBOJDau5moWHLnj6_ULpvvEP_kofK-gey_FsonFXTVSgw=w1920-h880-no

There's oil pooling at the bottom of that stud there for the coolant pipe bracket. I know the oil pump and front main seal (probably) are leaking and so am replacing those, but would that cause oil there as well? Looking at the FSM not sure what else could be going on except maybe the timing chain cover? I'd appreciate some wisdom

Additionally I can see (in this pic a little) that my crank position sensor is leaking a bit under the cover so I'll have to source some O rings for that (any advice on sourcing them without ordering would be great, or a link to some that will do the job as they aren't available from toyota).

Pic doesn’t work, as far as Oring pull it and go to ace or true value type place and match it up

ACIS is working as designed... just top of the reservoir as needed and the underside stays rust free.

Head gasket

You will get more replies by attaching a photo.

Wind will blow the oil all over the place. Clean the area well, run the engine afterwards and get closer to identifying your leak.

The crank position sensor never had a replaceable O-ring:
1674398472646.png

I can't remember there being one there, but that doesn't mean it's not (I'm old). Any auto parts store will have a selection of metric O-rings and it should be a standard size. If it isn't, you can have one made (there are kits for that) from the correct cross sectional diameter.

As @Comet said, it'll be hard to ID that leak, until the entire lower half (at least the front end) is cleaned. Get some cleaner/degreaser (I like purple stuff) and a venturi delivery system and spray the front end until it's clean. I have one of these; I really like it (and the price has really gone up in two years!):
1674399271476.png

I like it because you don't have to use a compressor (although it works better), you can use a tank to supply the compressed air.

I'd venture a guess that it's not the timing gear seal, unless the cover has been removed recently and not installed properly. I'd start at the top (the distributor O-ring) and work my way down, checking every bolt-in block connection. Chances are, with the miles you have, there's more than one leak, and the lowest point is where the oil will collect.

Most likely the Oil Pump seal and /or the distributor O-ring.

Do the valve cover, spark plug tube seals, throttle body seal, coolant hose to throttle body, dizzy O-ring, oil pump seal, front main seal all at one time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom