1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lets hear your fat related, nutritional revelations

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by T Y L E R, Jul 4, 2005.

1. T Y L E R

T Y L E R

I think I'm winning the battle right now, but the journey of understanding seems to be a long, long haul. I remember years ago when a woman at work asked me how I was losing weight, and I replied that I was buying fat free stock. She looked at me quizically and replied .. "That's it?? ............ you have a lot more to learn then"

She was absolutely correct!! And when I see her next I'm going to tell her so .. only took me 3 or 4 years to come to some realizations. :rolleyes:

So lets hear what information has changed the way you approach nutrition, and if you feel inclined let us know if , after implementing, this new approach you felt it helped you swing towards winning, or losing the battle of the bulge.

I remember reading something recently on the difference in which fructose and glucose are metabolized. Tonite I did a quick check .. and came up with this short article which illuminates the evils of something called HFCS - High Fructose Corn Syrup. Oh how insidious it is .. :eek:

HFCS

TY

2. brian

brian SILVER Star

doctor nick says- "grease is your window to weight gain."

3. clemson55

clemson55

Maybe its just cause I'm young and active or that I have a very high metabolism but I eat anything I want and dont gain weight. In fact this summer Ive been eating even more then I do at school and I have lost 8 lbs.

4. T Y L E R

T Y L E R

1 word .... "nutrition"

I used to eat as I pleased . In 91 I was a 31" waist, and 175 lbs. Today I eat intelligently, and am a 32" waist and 192 lbs ...

TY

5. bustanutley

bustanutley

I switched from beer to whiskey, takes care of my college gut

:flipoff2:

6. hj60

hj60

Methamphetamines. Period. No other way to lose weight. Nature's miracle cure. :D

Seriously, though. When I worked as an internet engineer, I went from 135 to 240 lbs. I'm 6'2".
    I got laid off 6 years later and immediately started losing weight. No other change. Just not stressed out constantly.

Now I'm a mechanic and weigh in at just shy of 200 lbs. Im happy with that weight. It's only a little over what I'm "supposed" to weigh, and I feel alot better.

I have also altered my eating habits lately. I pretty much only eat Asian style foods. No bleached flour. No HFCS. As few preservatives as possible. Freshest foods I can get, or at least fresh frozen. Organic, if I can afford it or it's available. Lots and ots of unsweetened tea. Green and black.
    No weight loss, but I'm a lot less hungry all the time, and have far more energy.

I'm also trying to quit smoking (again, dammit!). That's the last thing I think I need to do to be able to live to retirement, (if I don't get crushed by a piece of equipment at work. :doh: )

7. T Y L E R

T Y L E R

See my thread entitled "I'm in trouble...". I think I just spent a month on ephedra-laced sinus meds that ended up bump starting my summer weight loss/control program ;)

You're probably way ahead of the majority of folks out there .. well done!

TY

8. Koffer

Koffer

Yeah Baby "Ride the Snake" :bounce:

9. OZCAL

OZCAL

There are good fats and bad fats. I cook with olive oil. Probably a wash when I'm cooking bacon though.

10. bigndn

bigndn

Media:
    Albums:
    Just don't buy into the BMI bullshit. That's where they ask your height and weight and calculate a "BMI number" that's supposed to tell you if you're fat or not. My freshman year in college, I reported for football camp at 6'3", 260 lbs, <10% body fat, could squat 650, bench 420, and my 40 time was 4.9 s. Oh, my measurements were 51" chest, 18" biceps, 25" thighs, and 19" neck. If you know anything about the above information, that should tell you that I was huge, strong, and totally shredded; HOWEVER, in Frosh Kinesology class, they calculated my BMI and I ranked obese :eek: . No accounting for body frame, measurements, ets. What a crock.

My $.02.......Calculate your daily caloric intake and stick to it. Try to get as close as possible. Then, make sure you burn more than you intake. That's the whole secret in a nutshell. EXERCISE, EXERCISE, EXERCISE!!!!!! Muscle fiber burns more than fat, so throw in some weight training to build muscle. Mostly, though, GET YOUR CARDIO!! I don't mean 20 minutes three days a week, either. Find what you like (hiking, biking, running, stairmaster, whatever) and following a good warm up, get it on hard for at least 40 minutes (total 1 hour w/ 10 min warmup and 10 min cooldown). There's charts available online, but generally use this formula (180 - your age = maximum heartrate). Morning workouts will boost your metabolism for the majority of the morning AND have the added bonus of killing your appetite for several hours. Basically, figure out what you can eat for 1500 Kcals and then exercise in excess of that, maybe shoot for 2000 Kcals expenditure.

11. T Y L E R

T Y L E R

Yeah, yeah .. thats great and all .. but stay the hell outta my way !!! :flipoff2:

J/K ;p

Seriously .. this thread is gaining some good momentuum.

Always motivating hearing from folks in our midst, VS mags and such ..

:cheers:

TY

12. bigndn

bigndn

Media:
    Albums:

Don't ask if you don't want to know :flipoff2: .

:beer:

13. T Y L E R

T Y L E R

True enough .. :)

I'll go after a juicer anyday ... but a guy your size on an aerobic kick, I'd rather just sit down and have a beer with .. *L*

TY

14. Koffer

Koffer

I am at 6'3" and pushing #350+
    Im going to tell you its NO fun .
    I dont drink or smoke (never have never will)and my only vise is food ,its always been . Out of all the things i could have got "hooked" on its the only one that cant be given up altogether and still stay alive without it :doh: .

One day I will win but I need more troops for this battle of the mind/body :whoops:

15. clemson55

clemson55

Ok since eating everything doesnt count I'll add something nutritional to my previous comments. I work out every day so I eat a large amount of protein (mostly grilled chicken) and a lot of fruits and veggies (mostly fruits) so that I can build muscle at the gym not just waste time.

16. TX_TLC

TX_TLC

Couple things...BMI charts have never been...nor will they ever be acurate or intended to be used for "highly fit athletes/individuals". Same goes with Tanita or other body fat analysis machines. Some of the newer ones have special settings for highly fit people. Although...BMI charts were born out of research paid for by insurance companies to be used to help set life insurance/health insurance premiums...knowing this should also tell you that of course they are going to run "small" with more people falling in the obese and highly obese range = higher premiums for their insurance....all boils down to $$$$. On a side note the BEST body fat indicator is "Under-water weighing". Contact a local university they would most likely be more than happy to provide this service. It involves being lowered into a small tank of water in which the displacement of the water is precisely measured then ran through a long calculation to determine your body fat %.

Most every thing else was good...but for an aerobic workout, the calculation for max heart rate is 220 - age = max hr. Then for your work out you want your hr to be within 60-80% of your max hr. Example for 30yo...

220 - 30 = 190 (max heart rate) 190 * .8 = 152 and 190 * .6 = 114

This is then interpreded as...for a 30 year old, your target heart rate is 190 beats per minute...Your TARGET HEART RATE ZONE (60-80% of max) is 114-152 beats per minute.

Great description of intake versus output....that is the key...intake less and output more...= weight loss.

After having a desk job for the last 4 years I had slowly put on weight...6'1" 270lbs. I quit that job in December '04 and since without changing much on intake I am down to 250lbs. Idealy I will loose 25 -30 lbs more. I have a large frame and even when I was in college and highly fit (6'1", 220lbs) I wore a size 34 pants and looked "skinny".

To test your "frame" it very easy and there are three main categories. Large, medium and small...to see which you are take your index finger and thumb and wrap them around your opposite wrist. If your fingers overlap = small frame...if your fingers just touch = medium frame...or if your fingers gap and do not touch = large frame. This will give you a better idea as to where on the BMI scale you "should" fall...for a larger frames slightly adjusting the scale up...and visa vera for a smaller frame.

Ok that is all...

David C.
    Exercise Physiologist

17. wob

wob

I think the easiest way to lose weight is to ditch the cokes and sweet drinks. After the caffeine headaches go away, and I get used to drinking water, the first coke that I drink is disgusting. And the weight seems to magically fall off. Also, I don't seem as hungry all of the time when I'm not drinking soft drinks. Here is also something to think about with the soft drinks: One coke = 140 calories. Drink two of those per day = 280 cal X 7 days per week = 1960 cal. That is almost one whole days worth of extra calories every week!

18. OZCAL

OZCAL

Here's a good one. Whenever I'm feeling cruddy, I pick a "key poison" such as white flour, sugar or alcohol and more or less eliminate it from the diet. No need to be too hard core about it, I mean you can still put sugar in your coffee, but if sugar is the target then you obviously cut out a lot of junk like donuts and ice cream.

In a situation like mine, where I'm generally fit but enjoy "la dolce vida", it has a huge almost immediate impact.

Probably the best one is eliminating sodas from the diet. All of a sudden the pants fit, food tastes better, all kinds of things.

19. willmaxr

willmaxr

problem #1 - I cook very well, and eat
    problem #2 - father is a big man
    Problem #3 - I like red wine and an occasional brew (and not the light crap)

I was running 2 mi 5x per week and then lifting a bunch. I've now backed off the muscle gain program and went more toward definition and increased miles to 6 mi @ 5x per week. That's the difference - 60 min of hard cardio versus 30. Shooting for 199 lbs from 210 this summer, then down to 185 fightin' weight. It's a long road for some of us.

Organic most everything. Wife has her MS in exercise physiology - she stays on me pretty good. She doesn't like scales. It's all about how you feel and how the pants fit. Get into a routine and you'll feel better, eat healthier and drop the weight.

Good luck.

20. NovaFZJ80

NovaFZJ80

Have the opposite problem, so hard to put on good quality muscle/weight...at my prime right now at 192lbs w/10-12% BF at 32 yr old...what's working for me is to chart my daily food intake, calories/protein...and try to eat pretty clean..i'll look at the total calories vs fat calories, more than 25%, then i will not buy it...rarely drink any soda, desserts,..only weak spot is pizza, and chips.. love them...maybe have a cheat day once every 2 wks..

roughly try to get about 2400-2500 cal and 230 g protein...trying to maintain muscle mass and also put on more muscle...

weight training 4x/wk and cardio 4x/wk has really helped, along with diet and motivation...