Builds Let's build a 79 Series from parts... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Axles were good....rear was missing the locker actuator....somebody must have grabbed that early. Not a huge deal...ordered a new one for it. We will rebuild the front one when the time comes....along with the knuckles and all that funs stuff.

I think this score ranks up there with the one when I was 16 or so....found a 1966 Mustang Rally Pack gauge cluster and full console in a junkyard in IN while visiting relatives. This was long before reproductions were available. Got them both for $30! Unbelievable. I will never forget that.

Paid a little more for these axles.....will be great to have them under this truck for when the going gets challenging.

Employees.... What a luxury.

A luxury for that job for sure!

I supplied the water and was kind enough to pay $40 for each wheel so we could roll the axles out of the yard. Boss of the year if you ask me.

Good deal on those axles. They looks clean too. And those 80 wheels are in great shape. I need to add that Tampa LKQ to send me email notifications like I do with Orlando/Daytona ;)

Good deal on those axles. They looks clean too. And those 80 wheels are in great shape. I need to add that Tampa LKQ to send me email notifications like I do with Orlando/Daytona ;)

I think they ended up being $300 each by the time the nickel and dimed me for calipers, rotors, etc. Was a great score.

I'll beat you over to Tampa LKQ so you'd better move fast! :cool:

@joekatana removed all the interior on the wrecked 76 wherever it was(Netherlands?) in mid August to get it ready to ship to him along with other stuff he was bringing in....I asked for pics of the disassembly so I could kind of see what we were dealing with and obviously to help with reassembly....lots of stuff on the new dash trucks compared to the old ones.

Fortunately no damage to the dash where the truck had the impact. That was a concern. No airbag deployment either.

Scary and not for the faint of heart but when you're assembling a truck from pieces....this is worth its weight in gold....a complete harness, all the dash parts, all the clips, screws, bolts, nuts....everything. I spent months tracking down the parts to make the dash work in #1....this was a huge bonus to get it all. AC, vents, dash bracing, etc., etc. I bet having all of this probably cut 3-4 months out of the build with regards to sourcing parts, making harness, modifying things, etc.

Careful with that HVAC unit....very important part....

The definition of picked clean.

I went ahead and had @joekatana get me all the under hood stuff too....harnesses, brake master/booster, wiper motor, linkages, etc. Again....not having to source this piece by piece would be a tremendous help. And way less expensive too.

Careful with that HVAC unit....very important part....

View attachment 1933118

Thanks Chris, I do not have the patience to remove all the little stuff so I had one of my good friends in Belgium that you see here take it all apart. I guess I better buy him a few more beers this weekend as I am going back for more.

Good luck with the build

Joe

All the goods got boxed up and would be in Houston towards the end of Sept. I had the truck inbound from the West coast, these parts coming in and the canopy and all those goodies from South Africa(that will eventually go on this truck) on the ocean as well. Lots of pieces in play!

Thanks Chris, I do not have the patience to remove all the little stuff so I had one of my good friends in Belgium that you see here take it all apart. I guess I better buy him a few more beers this weekend as I am going back for more.

Good luck with the build

Joe

He did a good job removing the parts....our work is to figure out where every piece of hardware goes! Quite a box of loose hardware we got!

Once the container arrived in Houston's port, @joekatana got to boxing it all up for its ride to Tampa but not before snapping some pics. I went over and over these pics for hours to try and figure out everything I was looking at.

There were a couple things that were concerning but not a big deal. Having ALL the parts was all that mattered.

7 or so days later.....it's in Tampa. Got a lot of use out of the new trailer we purchased....lots of trips running around picking up crates of cool stuff.

The week prior to this, we had retrieved the canopy parts from South Africa.....I've detailed those in my other build but I'll throw in a few pics here. This canopy was ordered for the #2 truck....but found a temporary home on #1.

For sure I'll document the transfer from #1 to #2 when the time comes....it's a seriously cool piece of equipment.

Ever wonder what an interior from a 76 looks like in a crate? Wonder no more....

And finally.....all laid out for inspection and inventory....surprisingly it was pretty easy to figure out where all this stuff goes. Thankfully I'm not trying to assemble a new Mercedes AMG S63 from parts. A primitive 70 series Land Cruiser is not a huge challenge....helps to have already built one though. I have a couple new employees and when we go thru parts for assembly I'll tell them what the part is and where it goes. I'm hoping they find that impressive....I'm kind of thinking they don't. Ha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom