Builds Let's Baseline my new to me 1993 Land Cruiser (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

A morning of cleaning and I have the front end all cleaned up and disassembled. New inner axles and drive flanges arrived too. Only real issue was one inner oil seal was very hard to get off. My seal puller mangled it, but pliers won the day.
Photos of the usual knuckle things and new parts:
BDD6B4FC-3599-4683-8F9E-6E070907935E.jpeg

C0826D78-1E07-4164-961E-50206DCA5839.jpeg

9DC759D1-918D-4351-A259-CC884250AFF9.jpeg

I’m feeling less behind now. Hopefully my diffs will be finished sometime next week. I still need to buy some wire to power up the QPM and work on plumbing the air lines.

One thing I will also do is route my diff breathers higher up into the cab. I think the front breather valve is toast. It might have helped my inner axles leak….

I’m looking at this last photo with my morning cup of coffee…wondering if I should also just buy new spindles….or press new bushings into my old ones. If only for the everything fresh approach...but I think that $600 would be best served towards my slider purchase. it’s kind of embarrassing not having sliders. I mean I literally never have actually driven my rig to a mall….Starbucks? Plead the 5th.

I’m looking at this last photo with my morning cup of coffee…wondering if I should also just buy new spindles….or press new bushings into my old ones. If only for the everything fresh approach...but I think that $600 would be best served towards my slider purchase. it’s kind of embarrassing not having sliders. I mean I literally never have actually driven my rig to a mall….Starbucks? Plead the 5th.

$290 gets you a pair of Japanese spindles with the bearing/bushing combo pre-installed. $310 left for the slider fund 😎

I misspoke. What I really need is DVS Arms. Then Sliders. And probably a bunch of suspension parts I don't yet understand. I'm only hesitant to throw down for arms, because I'm not sure I want to keep my current suspension setup. I don't want to make my rig particularly taller, but I feel like I ride quality could improve greatly...But that's research I cannot make time for at the moment.

We are neck deep in house hunting. Put an offer in on a house. My wife flew out and toured it. Had an inspection yesterday and it was a complete s*** show. House has issues and the sellers didn't disclose s***. In fact there is a lot of "cover up" going on and some unpermitted additions that need demoed, failing garage foundations...shenanigans. So glad to be walking away...glad to back on the hunt. Im still pulling for 8' doors and a deep double car garage...

Buying new parts is addicting. I say go for it. Unless you’re scared.

Here, let me help enable.... My last name isn't jones though, must be you.... Oh, and I don't have sliders either... yet...

View attachment 3189071

You guys make this lots more fun. Otherwise its just an expensive hobby that my spouse tolerates because she has a soft spot for old rigs and lonely places.

Last edited:
Will be best to sort the rest of your suspension before DVS arms, Dave actually talked me out of buying last year. Told me to not only get the suspension sorted, but bumpers and armor to get it at final weight, then send him the alignment specs to select the correct arms. For now I am running Slee plates.

Jason

Will be best to sort the rest of your suspension before DVS arms, Dave actually talked me out of buying last year. Told me to not only get the suspension sorted, but bumpers and armor to get it at final weight, then send him the alignment specs to select the correct arms. For now I am running Slee plates.

Jason
I know this is the prevailing wisdom. I would very much like to have the suspension sorted before I move to the midwest. I just know that the lift was so budget oriented by PO and I have identified a structural issue with the 4x4 Labs rear bumper. Bumper is fine, but the install was done...poorly. And Im being generous. The issue is that the rear cross member was cut...more accurately hacked, about 2 inches too short. One of the mounting bolts has nothing to purchase on. So what I need is to have the number removed and some creative fabrication work done to make that bumper strong. Its the kind of thing that I have been fighting on this rig since day one. This issue just requires skills and equipment I don't have access to.

Anyhow, as for suspension my best strategy is to research someone who has 2-3" lift 35" tires and has a rig full of people and gear with similar armor. That will be my starting point. I am so reluctant to go the castor plate route because I really don't want to cut the mounting brackets and drill new holes since I will want to use them with the DVS arms.

complete :worms:

Yeah, life and situations don't always present perfect opportunities. I understand on cutting the arms, I was very hesitant myself. The Slee plates only require trimming the bottom of the arms to clear FWIW. I trimmed as little as possible. I might have also saved the pieces I trimmed in case I want to weld them back on later... :rolleyes:

Also I just ordered ordered up a curved switch plate from @Outsane....I will let y'all know how rad it is.
Yeah, life and situations don't always present perfect opportunities. I understand on cutting the arms, I was very hesitant myself. The Slee plates only require trimming the bottom of the arms to clear FWIW. I trimmed as little as possible. I might have also saved the pieces I trimmed in case I want to weld them back on later... :rolleyes:
I appreciate your approach. Time to start looking into the Slee plate....but then the bushings are all shot to hell... more :worms:

You could be like new and cave in a rocker panel....

I left the house without my swingout latched last month and put a decent crease in the rear quarter panel. Stupid. I think you and I are both headed towards a lift height that would require the "made to order" Delta arms. That wait time is another deciding factor. There are also more than a handful of folks on here who have swapped custom arms too. I vote plates as well. I may/may not have ordered Dobinsons IMS shocks during the November sale. Springs are my stall point right now.

I left the house without my swingout latched last month and put a decent crease in the rear quarter panel. Stupid. I think you and I are both headed towards a lift height that would require the "made to order" Delta arms. That wait time is another deciding factor. There are also more than a handful of folks on here who have swapped custom arms too. I vote plates as well. I may/may not have ordered Dobinsons IMS shocks during the November sale. Springs are my stall point right now.
Sounds like I will be watching your next move closely!

Jason
Second this. Amazing how much different neutral ride height ends up when all of the goodies are attached.
I had my swing out flop all over the place when i didn't latch it after a gas station stop. Thankfully @Pascoscout was behind me and radioed. No damage though - pretty sure the Delta swing outs are more solid than anything else on the truck.

Jason
Hmmmm. I need to get mine aligned again, once I get the specs back I'll give Dave a call and see if different arms are in order. Right now I have the 4" arms but running a 3" lift (DVS only had 4" & 6" options when I bought mine). It does tend to wander some but I always chalked that up to the lift and bigger tires.

ok fellas, I hear you loud and clear. I really just want it to not wander all over in the corners. But I think there are a few layers to get after. I’ll do my homework-but slowly.

I’m currently at my in-laws place in St. Paul MN. Meeting a home inspection dude(and sewer, and radon…) tomorrow morning and doing a walk through.

Hoping my diffs are ready next week? But the theme is slow.

I couldn’t help it. Fresh spindles from cruiser outfitters on the way. I figured it would be nice to have it all wear at the same rate.

Currently sitting in the MSP airport watching it barf snow everywhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom