Let's baseline my grandma's neglected, (20 year old to us) 1997 LX450 (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You may want to get a UltraGauge so you can continuously monitor most of the things going on with your truck. (Not transmission temps though)

I have one and I monitor alternator output, engine temps, and O2 sensors most of the time and I can diagnose an issue before it's a problem.

Oh, that's on my list...I really like that set up but it's $150 I can place somewhere else right now...so, it'll probably be a VDO type gauge for the time being and then update to that lovely little gem of a tattletale.

Did you place yours at the steering wheel or in the dash spot where the cup holder is (in some of the 80's)? I've been told that small little pocket just above the stereo is perfect for that gauge.

Thanks,

Oh, that's on my list...I really like that set up but it's $150 I can place somewhere else right now...so, it'll probably be a VDO type gauge for the time being and then update to that lovely little gem of a tattletale.

Did you place yours at the steering wheel or in the dash spot where the cup holder is (in some of the 80's)? I've been told that small little pocket just above the stereo is perfect for that gauge.

Thanks,
I plug mine in on the fuse panel by your left knee (modified the plug so I could still use the cover) then run the cord over in front of the clock.

IMG_20180521_193920728 (Medium).jpg

You may want to get a UltraGauge so you can continuously monitor most of the things going on with your truck. (Not transmission temps though)

I have one and I monitor alternator output, engine temps, and O2 sensors most of the time and I can diagnose an issue before it's a problem.
yeah I want to have a dedicated gauge to monitor the sensors. Using a smartphone app to connect to the obd2 isn't as convenient.

SolveFunction has mounts for the steering wheel. I want to get one that looks more streamlined, like it came from the factory. I might upgrade the head unit that can connect to the obd2 though.

yeah I want to have a dedicated gauge to monitor the sensors. Using a smartphone app to connect to the obd2 isn't as convenient.

SolveFunction has mounts for the steering wheel. I want to get one that looks more streamlined, like it came from the factory. I might upgrade the head unit that can connect to the obd2 though.
ScanGage is the other brand a lot of folks also use. I prefer the layout of the UltraGauge and there are more page selections. I have a Gen1 of the UG and I have a Gen 2 in my wife's van and it has a lot better layout.

They were only $100 when I last checked. They're even less now. Get the EM Plus v1.4 and you're golden. $82. Don't forget to look through the mounting options. The windshield mount sucks. I ended up with a sticky dash mount and double sided tape it to my dash, but my dash has a hole and cracks in it from the PO.

UltraGauge

welp I flushed the heater core and it looked pretty clear except for these weird white strips. I ran the water from the driver side to the passenger side since that's supposed to be the reverse flow of coolant right?

20220730_120124.jpg
20220730_121819.jpg
20220730_122417.jpg

I ran the water from the driver side to the passenger side since that's supposed to be the reverse flow of coolant right?

No, coolant flows from the PHH on the driver side through the heater control valve to the front and rear heater nipples on the driver side, though the heater cores and exiting the nipples on the passenger side.

No, coolant flows from the PHH on the driver side through the heater control valve to the front and rear heater nipples on the driver side, though the heater cores and exiting the nipples on the passenger side.
thats what I thought initially but then I looked at wits diagram and it shows that the lower radiator hose on the passenger side is where the coolant flows first then ends up at the driver side.

maybe I might as well try the other direction just to see.

all the parts for the baselining (aside from maybe pulleys) are in the trunk. time to take the engine bay apart. 😚
View attachment 3073172

The back of your Cruiser looks like the back of my Cruiser...minus the jumpseats. I took mine out for more space. They are currently sitting in the garage.

;)

I mean at this point we don't need the third row. I got my minivan for that 🤣

I honestly don't know ANYONE who has ever used the jumpseats in an 80.

IN a 40? Sure...it's where my brother and I sat as kids, holding on for dear life and laughing the entire time...but in an 80? Not a single person. They just get in the way, add weight, look bulky...and to be honest, having pulled them down and set them up before removing them, there's no damn room to sit!

BUT, someone, some where, who's missing them will want hem...maybe. Just to be a completionist ;)

IN a 40? Sure...it's where my brother and I sat as kids, holding on for dear life and laughing the entire time...but in an 80? Not a single person. They just get in the way, add weight, look bulky...and to be honest, having pulled them down and set them up before removing them, there's no damn room to sit!

BUT, someone, some where, who's missing them will want hem...maybe. Just to be a completionist ;)
hahaha I was close to being the completionist. We did use the jump seats when we were kids going on family trips, so you found one!

We have used the jump seats in mine a couple times.

Only because on a long distance ride, our oldest son, who is 6'-2" does not fit well in the second row. So, he moved to the third row, folded up the second row for leg clearance, then youngest sat alone in the second row.

Not the most comfortable overall, but it gave a place for the little dogs to ride where the seat was folded up, we had the power wheelchair hanging on the back, and the rets of the luggage behind the third row.

I keep them in there because apparently, I am a completionist. I cannot get myself to remove them, even though it would give me more usable room for my work tools and maybe I should build a set of drawers to keep it all contained. Not to mention dropping extra unneeded weight.

Only because on a long distance ride, our oldest son, who is 6'-2" does not fit well in the second row. So, he moved to the third row, folded up the second row for leg clearance, then youngest sat alone in the second row.

Not the most comfortable overall, but it gave a place for the little dogs to ride where the seat was folded up, we had the power wheelchair hanging on the back, and the rets of the luggage behind the third row.

I keep them in there because apparently, I am a completionist. I cannot get myself to remove them, even though it would give me more usable room for my work tools and maybe I should build a set of drawers to keep it all contained. Not to mention dropping extra unneeded weight.

Oh, that's all completely understandable!

When driving, it's normally just me in my Cruiser...maybe a buddy, maybe my mom as it's easier for her to get in and out of sometimes (after five back surgeries in seven years) than my Avalon when we go on day drives (she's 72 next month)...The jump seats, for me, are just added weight and take up space, so, out they went. But a platform is going to add the weight back, plus more, but that's a trade I'm willing to take.

Side note...A close buddy of mine is really into (and really good with) woodworking and I mentioned to him about wanting to build/install a sleeping platform/cargo drawer system and he JUMPED on the idea...so, he's mocking up one in his CAD system...he just bought a Jeep Gladiator (I know, I know...I tried to get him to buy a Cruiser) so the prototype is being built in the bed for his rig and then we'll modify it to fit into my 80. My other buddy has a Disco2 and he wants one built and he told some of his work buddies and now they want one for their respective rigs...so, we might have to sit back and think about making some for purchase. Not reinvent the wheel as it were, but be another option for platforms in the community.

I keep them in there because apparently, I am a completionist. I cannot get myself to remove them, even though it would give me more usable room for my work tools and maybe I should build a set of drawers to keep it all contained. Not to mention dropping extra unneeded weigh

Oh, that's all completely understandable!

When driving, it's normally just me in my Cruiser...maybe a buddy, maybe my mom as it's easier for her to get in and out of sometimes (after five back surgeries in seven years) than my Avalon when we go on day drives (she's 72 next month)...The jump seats, for me, are just added weight and take up space, so, out they went. But a platform is going to add the weight back, plus more, but that's a trade I'm willing to take.

Side note...A close buddy of mine is really into (and really good with) woodworking and I mentioned to him about wanting to build/install a sleeping platform/cargo drawer system and he JUMPED on the idea...so, he's mocking up one in his CAD system...he just bought a Jeep Gladiator (I know, I know...I tried to get him to buy a Cruiser) so the prototype is being built in the bed for his rig and then we'll modify it to fit into my 80. My other buddy has a Disco2 and he wants one built and he told some of his work buddies and now they want one for their respective rigs...so, we might have to sit back and think about making some for purchase. Not reinvent the wheel as it were, but be another option for platforms in the community.
sounds like a vendor opportunity! A youtube channel overlandbound had one made too but idk if he decided to share his CAD

sounds like a vendor opportunity! A youtube channel overlandbound had one made too but idk if he decided to share his CAD
Maybe!

Yeah, I watch OverlandBound (regularly, to include other channels)...that platform/kitchen setup is amazing...and very involved. At this time, I'm not looking for anything like that, but something simple, can hold enough weight (I'm 275 lbs so either two people or me and a dog) and still be light enough and have a good drawer system. My Disco2 friend wants his to hold his ARB fridge/freezer.

Use mine every ride. Regularly have 6 people in mine.

ok so I connected a new heater control valve, and new gates hose from heater control valve to the driver side front port and then the passenger side front port over to the hard pipe running along the engine block. that essentially does the rear heater bypass but I didn't put Clamps on them because I will be removing them again after a few more cooling system flush.

I screwed the wiring harness to the firewall, reconnected the egr modulator and made sure the vacuum hoses are back, I reconnected the air intake tube to the throttle body and the maf sensor is plugged back in.

now when I turned my key to the ON position, I noticed that my fan is not turning on but my rear heater blower is working fine. I also noticed that the head unit is not turning on either when it should be turning on automatically.

when I tried to start the car, it would crank but would not turn over. I tried to jump the battery, but it didn't make a difference.

any clue why it won't start?

ok so I connected a new heater control valve, and new gates hose from heater control valve to the driver side front port and then the passenger side front port over to the hard pipe running along the engine block. that essentially does the rear heater bypass but I didn't put Clamps on them because I will be removing them again after a few more cooling system flush.

I screwed the wiring harness to the firewall, reconnected the egr modulator and made sure the vacuum hoses are back, I reconnected the air intake tube to the throttle body and the maf sensor is plugged back in.

now when I turned my key to the ON position, I noticed that my fan is not turning on but my rear heater blower is working fine. I also noticed that the head unit is not turning on either when it should be turning on automatically.

when I tried to start the car, it would crank but would not turn over. I tried to jump the battery, but it didn't make a difference.

any clue why it won't start?
You disturbed the wiring harness near the EGR. I'm guessing you have some bare, broken, or melted wires in there that you were unaware of.

Then, as you tried it you may have smoked one leg of the fusible links.

Do you have a CEL with the key in the "run" position? If not, then it will not start. You will need to diagnose what happened.

Did you get the harness plugged in on the MAF on the intake tube?

Double check all your plugs and wiring connectors.

Did you do the PHH? It's possible that you broke a wire on a sensor near that under the intake.

You disturbed the wiring harness near the EGR. I'm guessing you have some bare, broken, or melted wires in there that you were unaware of.

Then, as you tried it you may have smoked one leg of the fusible links.

Do you have a CEL with the key in the "run" position? If not, then it will not start. You will need to diagnose what happened.

Did you get the harness plugged in on the MAF on the intake tube?

Double check all your plugs and wiring connectors.

Did you do the PHH? It's possible that you broke a wire on a sensor near that under the intake.
oh I'll check the wiring harness behind the egr pipe. those didn't look so good to begin with. I'll take a look at the fusible link. I plugged the maf sensor back in because that was the issue I had last time it didn't start. I haven't done the phh yet.

I didnt get a CEL which would've been nice to figure out how to diagnose the issue.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom