Let's baseline my grandma's neglected, (20 year old to us) 1997 LX450 (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just elbow grease dude. Mine was significantly worse than yours and it didn’t take much to get it sparkling. Of course, to keep it clean you have to fix all the leaks and maintain the cleanliness.
haha yeah. to find the leaks I still have to clean 😭 any brand? I tried the autozone brand brake cleaner... I don't think that worked quite well

haha yeah. to find the leaks I still have to clean 😭 any brand? I tried the autozone brand brake cleaner... I don't think that worked quite well
I used whatever the zone had. It didn’t matter; they’re all about the same. I used warm soapy water with dawn dish soap. It worked well too. A stiff bristled brush etc. I even used my daughter’s paint brushes for tight spaces. I don’t recommend doing that…pissed off daughters equal bad for cruiser business.

I used whatever the zone had. It didn’t matter; they’re all about the same. I used warm soapy water with dawn dish soap. It worked well too. A stiff bristled brush etc. I even used my daughter’s paint brushes for tight spaces. I don’t recommend doing that…pissed off daughters equal bad for cruiser business.
ok I'll give that a try

Any ideas on how to clean the engine of gunk in this video?
GunkFoamyEngineCleaner.png

and a parts cleaning brush
PartsCleaningBrush.jpg

For really heavy buildup, I've had decent success with a Harbor Freight steam cleaner. I've put Simple Green or Purple Power (gross) in with the water for nasty areas.
HarborFreightSteamCleaner.png

I've pressure washed my engine compartment many times. Only with a WIDE FAN setting, though, and I use an electric pressure washer which is nowhere near as powerful as the gas ones. I actually prefer the pressure washer since it's a smaller volume of water than a straight hose, and the wide fan allows you to really direct where the runoff goes. Just avoid the distributor cap and you will probably be fine. Obviously, wait until you have the new intake tube, so that you don't flood your intake with water.

To get that thick, dirt-filled, built-up grime off of the axles, underside of the body, etc., plastic body filler spreaders work great as scrapers. You can get a Bondo-branded three pack at Walmart or Lowes for $5ish.

I just got my undercarriage sprayed with layers of woolwax. The guys took the time to give a courtesy inspection of the engine bay and drivetrain and for the most part everything is all right. The only things I have to add to my list are to replace the rear shocks because they're rusted off and the boot is already gone. There is a hose along the firewall that's not even connected to anything. The frame is still in good condition; no holes anywhere. Still solid frame. 🥲

I'll take pictures when it gets dry outside. It's been raining this weekend.

So the mechanic pointed out to me this hose and we noticed that there's a hose that isn't connected anywhere. The AC still works so what is this supposed to connect to? I have the FSM flipped to air conditioner section. I don't see this line here.

20220508_182103.jpg

20220508_182108.jpg

20220508_182125.jpg

20220508_182127.jpg

This is a pic from @NLXTACY's site of a rear heater delete.
View attachment 3003716
hmm I guess it does look like a delete on mine given yours also has that port opening. The U hose on mine looks different though so maybe it's not a complete deletion?

Anyway, totally unrelated but I was driving it around last night and while I drove it slowly around the parking lot, it started to sputter and lose power until it just stalled. I couldn't steer the car and I had to start it 3 times before it came back on.

It looks like the battery is still in good shape given i drive it frequently and it's very new. Could it be that the fuel filter is clogged?

hmm I guess it does look like a delete on mine given yours also has that port opening. The U hose on mine looks different though so maybe it's not a complete deletion?

Anyway, totally unrelated but I was driving it around last night and while I drove it slowly around the parking lot, it started to sputter and lose power until it just stalled. I couldn't steer the car and I had to start it 3 times before it came back on.

It looks like the battery is still in good shape given i drive it frequently and it's very new. Could it be that the fuel filter is clogged?
When you delete the rear heater, you could either leave that port open, or plug it (I plugged mine). On yours is just an open right angle hose. Above that hose, you have another hose (off what looks like a "t") that I don't know where its going?

For the "U hose" your referring too is is just a simpler application. It does the same thing you already have just with one piece.

is there a difference between the two union bolts that screw into the fuel filter? the dealer sent me two of the same. One of them screws tightly at the spot where the hole aligns with the fuel line but the other one doesn't. I would expect that even if I torque one side to spec, the line would be obstructed?

20220510_000851.jpg
20220510_000905.jpg

ok up next is to replace the fuel filter then use the seafoam spray into the throttle body for good measure.

I'll do further cleaning of throttle body and upper intake when I remove them during the bigger project involving valve cover gasket. replacement.

I just checked the FSM where to disconnect the high pressure fuel line and found this in front of the driver side rear wheel. So I'll disconnect that, start and idle the engine until it stops running. Then move on to swapping out the filter?

20220510_115436.jpg

then use the seafoam spray into the throttle body for good measure.

I wouldn't bother. I did the whole seafoam thing and all it did was create an enormous smoke cloud that scared my neighbors. When I pulled the upper intake it was still absolutely packed with carbon and all the walls were covered in carbon and blow-by oil sludge.

Just pull the upper intake. It being (reasonably) clean is critical to the proper operation of the engine.

I wouldn't bother. I did the whole seafoam thing and all it did was create an enormous smoke cloud that scared my neighbors. When I pulled the upper intake it was still absolutely packed with carbon and all the walls were covered in carbon and blow-by oil sludge.

Just pull the upper intake. It being (reasonably) clean is critical to the proper operation of the engine.
Sounds good! I'll refer to your posts earlier in this thread once they're removed and ready for cleaning.

So I think I'll wait until next month when the undercoating is a bit tackler to the touch. Today I replaced the gears and cap on the driver seat. It works now! I broke one of the new gears so I may have to order another one from gamiviti.

Tomorrow a new car stereo is going to be delivered. Maybe this time I can get rid of the alternator whine that's been plaguing this car for a decade now.

20220511_153020.jpg
20220511_153012.jpg
20220511_160140.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom