Let's baseline my grandma's neglected, (20 year old to us) 1997 LX450 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hello! Just want to update on what I've done to grandmas mallcrawler this past november.

I got another Check Engine Light! P0171 lean condition. Smoke test revealed that I have air going in through the valve cover gasket as well as the seam between the old, rusty exhaust manifold and the new Y downpipe going to the catalytic converter. The jb weld that Lexus put on there last year when they replaced the exhaust system after the manifolds have gone.

I reapplied some more jb weld and replaced the fuel filter as well. I needed the help of my brother for that one because one of the bolts mounted underneath the intake manifold was not visible from underneath the engine bay.

---

I'm not sure if this is related but I noticed that sometimes I would hear a whine coming from within the fuel lines down to the tank. But once I open the gas cap to relieve some pressure, the next time I start the truck, I no longer hear the noise.

---

Late last October I was going to drive it on the beach but upon front axle inspection, I noticed that one of the knuckle studs have sheared off. The shop also mentioned that my front axle seals are leaking knuckle grease.

Looks like it's time for a knuckle rebuild! I'm pondering whether or not to replace the birfields as well. I think I'll just take them out and inspect them for any signs of damage before I order new ones. It's not a daily driver anyway, it's just the grocery getter.

---

So the P0171 popping up on me just days before taking it for the first car camping didn't stop me from taking it on a long drive to the finger lakes up in NY. It ran fine but barely made it up a steep hill. I pretty much had PWR turned on and turned off the O/D on ascents.

I'm at a point where I'm close to building the rig for car camping on top of baselining.

20231114_160353.jpg

Screenshot_20231112_202252_Torque.jpg

Where do you introduce the smoke on these for the test I need to do the same thing.
Disconnect the MAF sensor from the intake tube and stick the adapter in there. This lets you check for leaks on air intake tube as well. That tube tends to crack when it gets old so it's a good idea to check that first.

VideoCapture_20231201-121236.jpg

Hello! Just want to update on what I've done to grandmas mallcrawler this past november.

I got another Check Engine Light! P0171 lean condition. Smoke test revealed that I have air going in through the valve cover gasket as well as the seam between the old, rusty exhaust manifold and the new Y downpipe going to the catalytic converter. The jb weld that Lexus put on there last year when they replaced the exhaust system after the manifolds have gone.

I reapplied some more jb weld and replaced the fuel filter as well. I needed the help of my brother for that one because one of the bolts mounted underneath the intake manifold was not visible from underneath the engine bay.

---

I'm not sure if this is related but I noticed that sometimes I would hear a whine coming from within the fuel lines down to the tank. But once I open the gas cap to relieve some pressure, the next time I start the truck, I no longer hear the noise.

---

Late last October I was going to drive it on the beach but upon front axle inspection, I noticed that one of the knuckle studs have sheared off. The shop also mentioned that my front axle seals are leaking knuckle grease.

Looks like it's time for a knuckle rebuild! I'm pondering whether or not to replace the birfields as well. I think I'll just take them out and inspect them for any signs of damage before I order new ones. It's not a daily driver anyway, it's just the grocery getter.

---

So the P0171 popping up on me just days before taking it for the first car camping didn't stop me from taking it on a long drive to the finger lakes up in NY. It ran fine but barely made it up a steep hill. I pretty much had PWR turned on and turned off the O/D on ascents.

I'm at a point where I'm close to building the rig for car camping on top of baselining.

View attachment 3496017

View attachment 3496018
My knuckles need to be rebuilt also...I picked up EVERYTHING via @cruiseroutfit - the bearing set, seals, tie rod set AND birfs. All HIGH QUALITY Japanese parts.

Initially, I wasn't going to buy the birfs but I RARELY hear ONE "Click"...my thought is that since everything is going to be dismantled, I might as well replace them because I don't want to have to redo the damn thing a year later. It's mostly "Peace of mind".

:)

My knuckles need to be rebuilt also...I picked up EVERYTHING via @cruiseroutfit - the bearing set, seals, tie rod set AND birfs. All HIGH QUALITY Japanese parts.

Initially, I wasn't going to buy the birfs but I RARELY hear ONE "Click"...my thought is that since everything is going to be dismantled, I might as well replace them because I don't want to have to redo the damn thing a year later. It's mostly "Peace of mind".

did you go with the standard duty birfs? I was looking to get those if I did decide to get new ones

did you go with the standard duty birfs? I was looking to get those if I did decide to get new ones
I went with whatever @cruiseroutfit sells, which I think are heavy duty ($175-ish each if I remember correctly)
For me it's one of those, "Well, since I'm gonna already be in there and rip it all apart...might as well replace them."

I only drained the coolant today and while I was under there, I noticed a brown stain near the power steering pump and gear box. If you look past the heavy coat of lanolin, you could see what could either be transmission fluid or oil.

20231202_134553.jpg

20231202_134503.jpg

But once I open the gas cap to relieve some pressure, the next time I start the truck, I no longer hear the noise.
If you haven’t had a chance to check the charcoal canister with the FSM procedure, you may want to get on that. If your developing pressure at the gas tank in winter with mild temps( or cold) the you will be developing lots of pressure with an increase in ambient temperature and putting stress on your fuel system—particularly your fuel tank. It’s easy to check, doesn’t take long and could help you avoid a ruptured tank down the road.

If you haven’t had a chance to check the charcoal canister with the FSM procedure, you may want to get on that. If your developing pressure at the gas tank in winter with mild temps( or cold) the you will be developing lots of pressure with an increase in ambient temperature and putting stress on your fuel system—particularly your fuel tank. It’s easy to check, doesn’t take long and could help you avoid a ruptured tank down the road.
Thank you. I'll check it before I break this new fuel tank and pump I got installed earlier this year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom