Let the fun begin! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thank you everyone for the input!!

I was planning to regear, just based on the change in performance I had with my last 4Runner after the lift/tires and the time spent at altitude (the 4.0L V6 was not happy). Since I was already in the diffs, I figured I'd add lockers now - not my first 4x4 nor LC (had a 3x locked 80 my daughter totaled, an old FJ40, and a couple 4Runners). I *KNOW* the truck will end up with a rear swing away bumper (and possibly 35's) - just taking my time on that after having some issues with that item on my last build.

Honestly, seems like the 3.90's are about the sweet spot with the 8speed gear ratios, but the 4.30's will allow for bigger tires and probably help with performance due to elevation and weight.

Am I reading @indycole's comment correctly - both carriers will need to be replaced to install the gears and lockers?

If you have time to do some digging bjowett has broken down the differences at some point on this board.

Am I reading @indycole's comment correctly - both carriers will need to be replaced to install the gears and lockers?

In my situation (2016 with f/r Harrops and Nitro 4.88s) we needed a rear carrier from an earlier model, a custom pinion spacer (now included in Nitro kits), and I can't confirm if anything special was needed for the front (@orangefj45 may remember?). It's possible that the Harrop fit in the front but the ARB may not?

Thanks everyone for the input and information...think I'll back down to the 4.30's to get the engine back closer to stock, but allow for bigger tires in the future..and compensate for the weight/elevation.

Wellll... due to another thread I realized all the math I did earlier is based on faulty info. Everywhere else I looked 8th gear was listed as 0.67:1. Your specs list shows 0.817... but also shows 6th and 7th being the same ratio.

That changes things substantially. Gearing for 16+ is actually slightly taller than 08-15.. and suddenly 4.56 or .88 isn’t as bad as it seemed.

Well, lets hope the 4.3's work for me - other than a missing bearing, the gears/lockers are about done.
IMG_5731.jpg

I have 16 and I find I can do up to 80 before I break 2000rpm in 8th gear. I was wondering about math.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom