Lesson learned (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just got my 05 LC back from the 180,000 mile service. Turns out mine had never had the 90,000 mile service! The mechanic said that the water pump and thermostat were original, which meant that the belt was likely original as well. He also said that it looked like the Denso plugs had never been changed. I guess it's a testament to how well these trucks are made that one can go this many miles without what I considered to be critical maintenance.

Hopefully no harm done, but I wish I had paid more attention to the service records when I bought it last year. I was so impressed by the shape of the interior/exterior and the records did show a lot of regular oil changes, etc. I wanted to believe that the records were incomplete as I was told that some independent repair shops aren't (or weren't) connected to the network that tracks repairs for Carfax and other reports. "Buyer beware," as they say. Had I found this forum before my search, I'd like to think I would have been more savvy. Still don't regret the purchase, though. It's a great truck.

I can't imagine any harm was done at all. The only way anything would have been damaged would have been had any of those parts failed. Since they didn't, I think you're fine. Had any of those components failed however, well, that would have been bad.

I can't imagine any harm was done at all. The only way anything would have been damaged would have been had any of those parts failed. Since they didn't, I think you're fine. Had any of those components failed however, well, that would have been bad.
I like hearing that! It was also a good sign when I asked the mechanic what repairs I should worry about next. He said none, "just drive it." Now maybe I can focus on some fun stuff like sliders, tires, etc., etc.

As long as you baselined the fluids and replaced the heater t's, I say drive it like you stole it. These rigs are bombproof.....if maintained and adjusted properly.

There are people who follow the factory recommended procedure of replacing the timing belt and not the water pump. The service records on my LX document just such an event at a Lexus dealer.

My neighbour has a 2003. It has over 400,000km, bought it brand new. It stopped running one day, timing belt shredded at 350,000km, no damage, do the full meal deal and off it goes. Around 400,000 it stops running. Original spark plugs, nothing left of them, electrodes missing, burnt right out, flat as a pancake. Throw a set of plugs in it and away it goes again. I'm thinking to myself, 'is this even possible?' He says "wow this thing feels like new again, tons of power and starts right up", 250,000 MILES of NEGLECT is a true picture of how these units were built and unfortunately how the attitude of many owners is. 'If it ain't broke why fix it' is many Toyota fans outlook.
I don't play this game myself but it reeks of the importance of a PPI for prospective owners.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom