Les Schwab wont rotate my tires!! Spacers!! (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So my new FJ62 has late model Toyota rims. They have spacers. Tire store wont touch them due to liability issues, PLUS they want to give me a lecture about the UN-safety-ness of using spacers :rolleyes:.

If I were to replace the rims, what are my options for other than Toyota Landcruiser wheels??

I'd like to stay with at least an 8" rim. 15 or 16's dont really matter all that much. Probably better tire selection with 16's?? I realize 15's were stock. I put wagon wheels on my 78 FJ40 and my 83 FJ60 had the factory chrome wheels, so I havent really ever shopped for aftermarket rims. I'll probably be looking for something used.

Thanks for any advice!

deleted: off topic

Last edited:
both my trucks have spacers 1.5 and 1.25 inches. i wouldn't want a tire store to rotate my tires b/c they use impact wrenches, over torquing can be a problem i've heard. but then again alot of guys that do it at home use impacts and have no problems... i think back spacing should be something like 3.75 to eliminate the spacer

Why not rotate them yourself if you really like the current rims?

Pighead's tires are HEAVY. Pighead will pay some young buck to lift that spare...

OK guys....I've been rotating tires for 40 yrs now, though I really do appreciate the "advice" on how to rotate tires... I also appreciate the advice on not having a tire store do it because of impact wrenches, etc...

I was having a tire store do it BECAUSE I'm having the front end aligned and it seemed really convenient to have the tires rotated at the same time... makes sense, No?

BUT.. that wasn't what I asked. I want advice on WHEEL SELECTION...

Now lets try this again.

Thanks!

As to 15's or 16's, there are a lot of choices, but overall I'd say that there are more tall-skinny options in 16's and more flotation options in 15's. That's sort of a general characterization rather than an absolute rule. If pavement manners are important then a shorter sidewall might be some benefit.

There is a maximum backspacing that these trucks can have and not have the wheel rubbing on things. It has been discussed many times, so a search will likely bear more fruit than you want to read. :)

Beyond that I'd pick the size tire that I want and match the rims to them.

need to see the truck to decide what wheels look best on it. lots of options i've got some black ones that are 15x8 steel w/ a 3.75bs w/ 1.5spacers b/c i have 33x10.5 tyers. its all but flush with the side of the truck
P1010008.jpg
P1010007.jpg

This is one of the many problem with spacers. You can pull the wheel and rotate them yourself but you want to balance them too sometimes. You can take them all down to the tire shop in the back of a truck and they will balance them.

There are not a lot of good options but like said above use the search. This question has been cover a lot. Here let me find some threads for you.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-wagons/226644-teflon-coated-wheels-plus-size-question.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom