Les Schwab "High Country"? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.mangai-rollin.com
I ran over something sharp right as I arrived at a trailhead last weekend and then high-tailed it 10 miles back into town to the nearest Les Schwab before it went flat.

While I was waiting to have the tire plugged, I started looking at options for replacements. I figured most all Les Schwab tire options would be expensive - I've heard the place is overpriced but I haven't used them. At first the salesman I was working with quoted the Toyo Open Country HT for $255ea in the oem P275/60R-18 size, but then he suggested I look at the "High Country AT" tires for $130ea in the 285/60R-18XL size. Are these made by Falken, and are they any good?

As much as I would love to put some meaty rubber on this rig - I have KM2s on the 40 - this rig is my wife's dd and only gets offroad on the occasional camping trip.

Thanks,
.matthew

I used to have the Toyo ATs. Overall, they are really good. Look nice and fairly aggressive, but not too much. They also ride fairly well. I went with Coopers this time for something a bit more aggressive, but then found them to be quite noisy on the road. Off road, the Toyos will be fine for most camping type trails. You may want to get them siped when you purchase. This will increase your traction.

Those are my thoughts...

Jonathan

I know the Toyos have a good rep.

I'm trying to figure out if there's any info -good or bad- on the "High Country" tire.
All of the searching I've done on Google keeps turning up Falken as the "high Country" manufacturer. I know nothing about Falken and I'm not finding much in the way of Falken reviews.

fwiw... I carry a cheap plug kit from Carquest with me. I have used it several times, once to plug a trailer tire hole and once to plug one of my previous tires and they worked well (not even a slow leak). I have had good luck with the plugs on our four wheelers, etc. also.

RedEuro, do you know anything about Ohtsu and their relationship with Falken? The guy at Les Schwab told me they were the same company, but I want to make sure he's not feeding me a line and trying to pawn off a cheap knock-off.
Thanks.

I had some Falken tires on my Camry that were rated well and performed as advertised. They aren't a premium brand but make some good stuff.

Point to take into consideration. Your wife may not know the "Ins and Outs" of tire tech but she'll notice when the tires you put on her daily driver are something she's never heard of.

I can attest to Falken tire quality. I had a set of all season Falken Ziex tires on my last car, and had some Azenis on my autocross civic. Falken Azenis are widely accepted as the best non R compound tire for your buck in the autocross world. Great tires. I think the High Country and Wild Peak are their new styles the all terrain field. I'm going for the High Countries as soon as my stocker Michelins wear out.

Bought a set of AT's from Schwab 2 months ago...

Went just a bit taller with 285-75 x 16. A tiny bit noisier than the Toyo 270-70's that came on the LX; not noticeable unless you listen closely, certainly not any difference noted by :princess:.

Handling in twisties the same when pushed. Speedo reads low by 3%. That said, new Garmin gps shows that the speedo may have read low before the new tires.

My alternatives were bfg ko's but they were a lot more than my budget, or Michelin ltx at's, but i wanted something with more bite in the dirt.

I'd make the same choice again.;)

Steve

I put a set of Falken Ziex's on my wife's old vehicle. They wore better, were quieter, and we got marginally better fuel economy than what came OEM. a big x2 on the Azeni's - they were THE TIRE to get in autocross for my Mazdas too.

I wouldn't hesitate for a heartbeat to put Falken's on my wife's LX470.
--jeff

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom