Length of long side front axle on pre'68 housing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

cruiser_guy

Out of Africa / North Africa
Threads
Website
join-hands-for-hope-helping-people-help-themselves.mailchimpsites.com
I'm doing a mini disc conversion on the '67 FJ45LV and I''m having an issue with the axle length on the long side. Tech Trivia says 29 1/8" which I think is what I have (at least it's shorter than the mini/'60 long side). The problem is it bottoms out before the birf is in the axle!! I've laid it next to the old ball and claw and it certainly looks a good inch longer. I HAVE changed the pinion gears to 30 spline so that's NOT the issue (the axle is grabbing the splines).
Did this length change? Does anyone know whether it is the same as the '40 series long side (which I think I have)?

I'm trying to get my shop class to put the axle together but this throws a wrench into the whole thing (it's also kind of embarassing).

I'll post some photos later of the mini, '40 and ball and claw axles to show the length differences.

CruiserGuy, I happen to have one out of a '66 laying on the garage floor and I can major it for you when I get home.

Ed

Wait, I'm cornfused. You have the ball and claw? Pre '67 IS the ball and claw.
What do you want majored?

Sorry,

Ed

Last edited:
Ed, is it a fine spline axle from a disc conversion done on a '66 axle housing?

Pic's of the axle lengths

Here are some pictures of the axles with the birf side lined up as best as I can guess. Top is the '60/mini shaft next is the ball and claw and lastly is the '40 series shaft.

I've also included a photo of the '40 series shaft (at least I think it's a '40 series shaft) on top of the axle housing). You can see how it passes the center of the diff when lined up on the seal location!?!

Is there another Toyota (or other manufacturer) that uses birfs? The Tech trivia lists the '60/mini as being +2" longer than the '40 and the shorter one I have isn't that much shorter. Maybe a Stout axle shaft?!?

When did fine spline inner axles start 'cause I know of a wrecker in town with a BJ40. I'd assume it would have the birf's rather than ball and claw (it's drum brake so I'm not swapping the front axle).

Last edited:
I think you will discover that housing falls short at the seal area also. I will have a SOA housing that is cut and turned with steering stops , SOA steering arm , and it is ready to go.

peesalot said:
I think you will discover that housing falls short at the seal area also. I will have a SOA housing that is cut and turned with steering stops , SOA steering arm , and it is ready to go.

Here machining is CHEAP. If necessary I'll have a new axle made for about $50 or so!! I'd rather find a stock one though.

I had the recesses for the standard inner axle seals cut for about $35 so I'm good to go in the seal area. I couldn't find a seal that would work otherwise even though others have posted part numbers, those numbers did not come up or were invalid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom