1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Legalities of removing smog systems

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by cwb, Feb 28, 2004.

1. cwb

cwb

I live in Arkansas, and I've searched the state's official website, especially the DMV section, and can't find anything related to the legalities of removing stock smog equipment. I own an '87 FJ60 and have removed EGR, smog pump, air rail, etc., but I'd feel a lot better knowing one way or the other if this is legal. Based on what I've read and seen, removing all this stuff often makes a truck like mine less of a pulutant than if it's left on. At least that's what I've convinced myself of!

Anyway, if any of you guys know the details, please let me know. Or tell me where I can find out.

Thanks!

2. Toyoland66

Toyoland66

Call someone at your DMV and maybe they could tell you who you need to talk to?

I am under the impression that smog laws are more lax in the south (my granpa lives in MO, people are always burning leaves and crap yuk)

I have read a lot of things that say a properly tuned 2F without any smog equipment will run cleaner than an improperly tuned one with a functioning smog system.

I have collectors plates in CO so I dont ever have to do emmisions again.

3. hj60

hj60

It is a federal offense to tamper with, remove or disable /any/ automobile emissions control device in any way.
    That said, if you live in a state that doesn't do mandatory emissions testing, enforcement of the above is all but non-existant.
    Entirely up to you if you want to risk it.
    Don't call the DMV and ask them if it's ok to remove your cat, or anything
    like that. They'll tell you "No".

4. woody

woody unhelpful spotter Staff Member Admin

Media:
    Albums:
    your state DOT/DMV website outta have all their rules and regs online...unfortunately, it's a long search process to find those things. Also check your county regs, some are more particular than others. (usually, metro areas have tighter rules)

Some states have visual inspections along with the sniffer test....pull that smog pump and it won't matter if you pass the sniff portion with flying colors.

To answer your question, it's not legal. Anywhere. Period.

5. Cruisergreg

Cruisergreg

Woody's right that any tampering is a "federal offense" although it's never enforced at the federal level. If you are not required to have regular smog checks then there is no local enforcement in your area. The 2F emissions system is a complete mess and was designed to let a vehicle intended largely for the 3rd world to be sold in the US; it loses it's functionality almost from the time it leaves the factory so after 15 or more years most if it is not functionaing correctly.

I have 10 years as an environmental regulatory consultant and I've always desmogged my cruisers without guilt or concern. If you do a desmog, make sure it's done with a careful understanding of what you're doing and why. Also, hang on to the equipment "just in case".

6. Ranger_Jeff

Ranger_Jeff

The heart of the matter - I want to be illegal, but as Cruisergreg says, I also want to be very carefull to know what I'm doing so as to keep things running right. Have done a search on this subject at several sites and am just not finding real clear answers for de-smog of a 77 2F. Anyone?