LEG ROOM PLEASE!!!!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Got a 400 mile round trip to do tomorrow so jumped on this quicklike. Think I'm going to like it. Always wondered if there wasn't an quick way to get more leg room, just never investigated. Took about an hour to do, including screw ups. $5 for a little stick of 1". Thanks again oldwineo
SEAT MOD SM.jpg

For me, a 6'6" monster, the killer was the angle my right ankle had to be at to work the pedals with my leg bent to fit on either side of the wheel.

Ended up doing a few things, and here's what I figured out:

1. I made some risers/extenders for the rails, like Oldwineo, but with (I think?) 1" square tube instead of bar stock and stacked washers. This got me 3-4 more inches of back travel, and an inch higher seating position. This helped a lot with basic comfort, but I still got a sore ankle in stop-and-go traffic.

2. I swapped out my stock front seats for a pair of 'Turbo' JDM seats. Thinner, higher density foam, and just in better shape than my original ones. This helped a bit, but since they were from a RHD truck, the more adjustable seat is on the passenger side. This led me to experiment and realize that the tilt of the seat bottom, not just its position, was important, so....

3. I made spacers out of 2x1/8" bar stock (3" long rectangles with a bolt hole in each end) that effectively move the front floor mounts up 2", which the brackets easily flexed to accommodate. This way, my right leg is supported by both my right foot *and* the front edge of the seat instead of just being held up by my foot. At first, it seemed a little chintzy, but with the beefy m10 bolts torqued down with lock washers etc., it might as well be welded for how solid it feels.

Plans for the future are to replace the square tube risers with flat bar, because the 'lift' ended up being way less important than the tilt and extra couple of inches of effective rail-travel.

Fun fact: fairly short adults can still juuuuust fit behind me comfortably.

Agree completely. Took a short drive this evening and actually brought the seat most of the way back towards dash but really noticed the extra support from the seat because of the increased angle. I put maybe 5/8" tall bit of tubing in instead of washers. I'm guessing the seats when new probably had more bolster there, but are just worn out like a lot of the truck.

I know this is an old thread but I was looking for more leg room in the 60 and was not finding any good solutions so I decided to see what I could do.

• First I removed the drivers seat and flipped it upside down on a stack of buckets.
  • Then I cut some 1 inch steel flat stock to 14 3/8 inches.
  • I drilled it to fit the seat and again 2 inches forward.
  • I bolted the bracket to the seat and bolted the slider to the bracket using a stack of washers on the front to clear the seat bolt head. This gives the added benefit of slightly reclining the seat bottom.
  • Last I re-installed the seat and gave it a try. Wow what a difference in knee and ankle angles!

I hope this will help someone else here in the future. Just trying to give back to a group that has been so much help over the years.

View attachment 1803799 View attachment 1803800 View attachment 1803801 View attachment 1803802 View attachment 1803803

sorry to bump an old thread but i just wanted to say thank you for this post again. had a big trip this weekend and wanted to save my hips. this worked out beautifully. one trip to Lowes and an hour of my time is all it took.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom