Leftovers and Soup (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
made a batch of soup tonight.
used leftover chicken and cornish game hen.
started with a broth i made last summer from the above mentioned birds, with their bones, grilled skin, and fat.
added some herbs de provence, rosemary, onion, one can of cream of chicken, and one can of cream of mushroom, and a sprinkle of instant rice. oh yea, two carrots diced into 1/4 inch pieces, with salt and bouillon to taste.
it went pretty good with the overcast weather, and light rain today.

So, what are the Mud Cooks doing with their leftovers???????
Can you beat my Chicken Soup? :cheers::beer:

Flat, I'LL PLAY ALONG, good thread builder here...

I took my leftover pork tenderloin and made pulled sandwiches.

Made my sauce from smoked honey BBQ sauce , OJ & Pineapple juice, soy sauce, paprika, garlic powder, fresh ginger, salt,, pepper and dry mustard.

Was a great sandwich!

J
DSCN3765.jpg
DSCN3766.jpg

Wow, I just drooled over that sandwich.

Here's my humble submission:

I love to make beef stew. I use a recipe I learned from my mother. With the leftovers I make shepherd's pie.

Strain the juice from the leftover stew.
Put the remaining stew into a pre-made pie crust.
Make a batch of mashed potatoes using new potatoes, mix the strained beef broth into the potatoes.
Spread the mashed potatoes over the top of the pie, glaze with butter.
Cook in a 350 oven until a golden brown crust forms on top of potatoes.

Enjoy!

Start with one packet of Thai Kitchen rice noodle soup mix Bangkok curry flavor.

Add a level teaspoon of Sun Brand Madras Curry Mix to the season packet and mix well. Add 2 cups of water and the noodles. Nuke, covered on high for 2 minutes. Let stand covered for 2 more minutes.

While that cooks cube up leftover chicken, pork, beef or whatever. I've even use leftover meat loaf.

Combine soup meat and a cup of frozen vegetables, I like peas and carrots with some lima beans thrown in. You can also use leftover vegetables, I throw in Kale Chard or any green, fresh or leftover.

Heat for an additional minute covered on high.

Add Serachi sauce, soy etc to taste.

I eat this for lunch a couple of days a week for lunch.

The Madras curry is the key.

Start with one packet of Thai Kitchen rice noodle soup mix Bangkok curry flavor.

Add a level teaspoon of Sun Brand Madras Curry Mix to the season packet and mix well. Add 2 cups of water and the noodles. Nuke, covered on high for 2 minutes. Let stand covered for 2 more minutes.

While that cooks cube up leftover chicken, pork, beef or whatever. I've even use leftover meat loaf.

Combine soup meat and a cup of frozen vegetables, I like peas and carrots with some lima beans thrown in. You can also use leftover vegetables, I throw in Kale Chard or any green, fresh or leftover.

Heat for an additional minute covered on high.

Add Serachi sauce, soy etc to taste.

I eat this for lunch a couple of days a week for lunch.

The Madras curry is the key.

Dan, yes, the Sun Madras is the best curry add in available IMO. I switched from Regal to Sun a while back and the taste is bar-none the best.

J

Fritatas are always a good way to get rid of anything that compliment eggs. Burritos work well, too. Lately, I've been alternating cooking days of vegetables with days of meat and making stews or fritatas during the overlapping times. Been trying to make chicken stock once a week so I always have that around along with some chicken meat (since it goes with anything).

PS- I'm gonna smoke a chuck roast for the first time on Monday if I wake up early enough. That should give me plenty to work with for a few days. Thanks to TitanPat for the idea. NC people tend to only think about pork when you mention smoke, so we need a kick in the pants sometimes.

--john

Here is another soup shot,
I will fire up the grill just tp prepair the chicken.
I always inject the chicken, and utilize Mexican seasonings all over the bird(Taco mix, Cumin, Chipolte powder, and the like), and on to the grill with heavy smoke. I use my "Standard" Oak/Whisky Barrel stuff (this might be a spot for Mesq wood). With the bird finished on the grill, I let it cool and strip off all the meat. I usually have a chicken stock already hot on the stove, reinforced with above mentioned Mex Spices, and I'll add a can of "Pinquito" beans, left over corn cut from the cob, and one full head of garlic that I roast in the toaster oven with EVOO. Let things heat up in the pot, and pull out some juice, and a small spoonful of beans, smash up (This is a veryhigh tech term) and mix in some flour to make a Rue, to thicken the soup. Did I say to add the chicken yet, if not I should have!
Serve with fresh chopped Cilantro, hot buttered Flour Tortillas, and a bottle of Tapatio, and an additonal bottle of Beer.
-Jim:beer:
PS, while I have never had Tortilla Soup, I've been told that this is a close 2nd.:cheers:

Just did a Turkey Brest on the smoker, cut off the rib cage, and used thr giblets in a pot with one Sierria Nevada Pale Ale, one onion in 1/4's, and one carrot sliced on the bias, not to mention a few spices i put on the turkey. What a broth, enhanced it with a light amout of chicken bullioun and some chives.
Cooled it and put in to a 1gal ziploc, and into the freezer. Broth for another day.
-Jim

Nope, should'a said that I added water also. Not sure how much, just so that I covered most of the bird parts in the pot.

Used leftover smoked chuck roast, Campbells's Beefy Mushroom Soup, frozen chicken broth, mushrooms, rice, frozen corn and peas to make a hell of a stew tonight. Also had some roasted garlic and fresh thyme that I threw in. Mmmmhh. The wife even liked it.

--john

John,
That sounds geat, I'll have to write that one down.
Good winter time comfort.
-Jim:beer:

I'm gonna use the SOUP portion of this thread to justify putting this one in here... I just ordered a Scallops in Sweet Potato Corn Chowder that was absolutely INSANE. Sea and bay scallops and tons of thick bacon. I'll be trying to copy this one before long. Bull McCabe's in Durham, NC.

--john

It has been a long time since I lived in the South, but Sweet Potato Corn Chowdah?
That's a combo I've never heard of.
-Jim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom