Left side VS Right side tire swingout - Why? History? Regional? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ToyosandHam

SILVER Star
Threads
All,
Not new to LandCruisers but new to 40s. I've just picked up a mostly original '74 that I'm learning the nuances of. Definitely in love with the platform already. My rear swingout is on the passenger side. As far as I can tell this is a US 40 not an import but I'm still learning. I see plenty of drivers side swingouts as well. So my question: Is there a rule or history behind the location of the swingout? Can't find anything specific on the Internet but maybe my GoogleFu is weak. Anyone?

Okay here is a general location for spare tires. Up to 1/75 spare tire was on the right side for LHD vehicles. On the Left for RHD vehicles. When the ambulance doors started 1/79 LHD moved to the left side. RHD stayed on the left side. The few FST we got in 75 the spare was still on the right side. When those ended isn't really clear. As of January 1976 US market required three point seat belts. It wasn't until 2/78 when the seat belts moved to the roll bar so my guess no FST were imported after 12/75 for that reason. I've seen pictures of ambulance doors that open on the left side first but those are rear. Then there markets like Columbia that made the top and rear door locally.

So US market it was on the right side until 1/75 when the ambulance doors started they moved to the left side. Exception was the few FST that were imported after 1/75, those stayed on the right side.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom