Left Rear, Upper Control Arm Bolt is blocked by LSVP Bracket (SOLVED) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I pulled three of the four bolts holding the LSVP bracket to the frame to gain the fraction
of an inch needed to remove the bolt, but I can't seem to removed the fourth bolt holding the bracket without dropping the fuel tank.
Is this Correct?
The FSM doesn't mention any issues, just says to remove the bolts.
I'm thinking real serious about taking an angle grinder to the offending portion of the bracket.

I can tell you one thing, when I put the bolt back in, the nut is going toward the LSVP.

Last edited:
I don’t remember having a problem repacking my LPSV valve. Do you have a picture?

The LSVP will come off the bracket fine, but the bracket itself is causing the interference with the bolt.

I bent my bracket out of the way, then bent it back when I was done.

LOL, that's what I was looking for, the voice of experience and reason.
I will put the 3 bolts back in tomorrow and give the bracket a nudge.

How did you reach the bolt that is shielded by the bracket and blocked by the tank?
More so, how did you get them back in? My hands don't fit in there.

I pulled three of the four bolts holding the LSVP bracket to the frame to gain the fraction
of an inch needed to remove the bolt, but I can't seem to removed the fourth bolt holding the bracket without dropping the fuel tank.
Is this Correct?
The FSM doesn't mention any issues, just says to remove the bolts.
I'm thinking real serious about taking an angle grinder to the offending portion of the bracket.

I can tell you one thing, when I put the bolt back in, the nut is going toward the LSVP.
I've removed more of these than I can remember, and I tell myself the same thing every time I do it. You can get the bolt off with a combination wrench, if it's not rusted. Otherwise, you'll have to resort the the sawsall wrench.

FWIW, if you drop the bolt, it'll wind up between the tank and the skid plate. The only way you'll get it out is to the drop the skid plate and that requires removing the band bolts, which are likely rusted. It's a true PITA. Ask me how I know.

I pulled the two lower bolts and used a tire iron to shift the LSVP and and bracket far enough over the pull the upper control arm bolt out.
I'll use a tire iron to shift it back into location when I put the bolt back in.

I'll also make a note in my FSM hard copy of how to pull that bolt out for the next caretaker of The Mean Green Bean.

My last two I just slightly grinded the bracket... mind you my bracket bolts are a little crusty from the Canadian winters so i didn't want to deal with that. File it down as to not cut yourself and just a little tremclad black paint to make it look pretty again.

Rusty Marlin, You could try using what's known as a box end obstruction wrench to reach that bolt.
1603072006168.png

The bushings are replaced.
Bent the LSVP braket out of the way, bent it back into place when finished. Much easier than running the upper LSVP bracket bolts out 1/12 of a turn per move.

The obstruction wrench would probably do it, if it has a long enough handle, the space to work in that area is tight.

Used a com-a-long to rotate the axle backwards a touch to get the holes in the UCA and the frame work to align... sure beat running a pry bar in one and and trying to align the holes and the bolt with the other.
R595uWil.jpg

The hook is attached to the LCA braket and the cable runs up and over the UCA bracket to provide leverage and then back to the com-a-long.
BqboC1Hl.jpg

Don't know if that's the right way to do it, but that's how it done today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom