Led lights headlamp (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jay

Threads
The piaa led 9006 kit .does it fit in headlamp? has anyone tried it? Im interested but thought its easier to ask then buy an try.

One of the customers where I used to work is the west coast rep for PIAA, I'll have to see if he has a pair of these for testing. If you are looking for an upgrade from stock the current HIR bulbs are nice. I was surprised how much brighter they were than the stock 9006 bulb.

u mean hid? I want led piaa yeah check if they fit , an clear battery or coolant bottle an fit the glass top lens on 80 series. i have a 94 dont think it matters though just insert clearance an back space is what counts ask to if they get hit with water how it comes out

HIR are a different type of bulb it is not HID I run HIR in my 80 it was a drastic improvement from the stock bulb I am probably going to switch to lifetime LEDs which I know fit the 80 don't know anything about the PIAA ones I am interested though its the first I have heard they make them.

Going to throw out my thoughts. Headlight design is a science. The design of the reflector is specific to the light pattern of the bulb. LED bulbs do not put out the same light pattern as the stock bulbs, and so you get light going where it shouldn't go.

I did what jdayment mentioned, which is went with the HIR bulbs (9011). They are a dramatic increase in light and cheap. Do a search.

Going to throw out my thoughts. Headlight design is a science. The design of the reflector is specific to the light pattern of the bulb. LED bulbs do not put out the same light pattern as the stock bulbs, and so you get light going where it shouldn't go.

I did what jdayment mentioned, which is went with the HIR bulbs (9011). They are a dramatic increase in light and cheap. Do a search.

Oh, DUDE! Don't you know, it's ALL about having those LEDS! Ya gotta have them. They're even more important than.....

LOCKERS!!

But I do recommend the HID upgrade, seriously.

HIR are a different type of bulb it is not HID I run HIR in my 80 it was a drastic improvement from the stock bulb I am probably going to switch to lifetime LEDs which I know fit the 80 don't know anything about the PIAA ones I am interested though its the first I have heard they make them.
^I was like this too...

And to add @Cruzerman point:

The LED might be brighter, but the beam pattern is horrible -- compared to HIRs in the stock housing. The light was thrown everywhere, except down the road.

For giggles, I bought some LED bulbs to compare to my HIRs. I promptly went back to HIRs because of the beam pattern.

Last edited:
If it says 9005, they will go where a 9005 bulb goes. The socket design is the same. The bulbs are over sized, so the possibility exists that they will not fit in the rest of the area.

That said, there's a lot of room in the 80 headlight buckets and right behind them. You shouldn't have an issue and a lot of guys have successfully run knockoffs.

^I was like this too...

And to add @Cruzerman point:

The LED might be brighter, but the beam pattern is horrible -- compared to HIRs in the stock housing. The light was thrown everywhere, except down the road.

For giggles, I bought some LED bulbs to compare to my HIRs. I promptly went back to HIRs because of the beam pattern.

I heard this was a problem with the first gen of Lifetime bulbs but they have released a new version to solve that problem as far as the knock off ones I am afraid to try I'm going to reach out to couple of vendors here to get there input in regards to scatter because if there is any I will stick with HIR and just upgrade my harness with a Slee harness where I live in the mountains I am not a big fan of blinding oncoming traffic in the winter or rainy weather which just adds to scatter.

It depends largely on how the LEDs are setup. Some replacement LED bulbs have a line of LEDs on both sides of the bulb housing to mimick the filament on a standard bulb, some do not.

The ones that mimick look just like stock headlights but brighter (and bluer). The ones that to not throw light everywhere.

Last edited:
Oh, DUDE! Don't you know, it's ALL about having those LEDS! Ya gotta have them. They're even more important than.....

CUPHOLDERS!!

But I do recommend the HID upgrade, seriously.

Fixed. Noobs, I swear. :flipoff2:

I'm still waiting the day I can replace my halogen bulb with some LED type that give me this performance ..

doYfPUM.jpg

What are you running Tapage?

HIDs 6000k until they burn. Next LEDs 6000k.

Haven't been able to compare with other bulbs as there aren't any other 80's where I live

Swap back to a normal bulb in only one housing and find a white wall or garage door. I was amazed going from regular to HIR (Halogen InfraRed) John Deere bulbs.
I'm thinking about LEDs for my daily driver though. If you want it to work well, it will probably cost more. The Deere HIRs weren't cheap either, but they were well worth it!
For LEDs, these are what I'm considering for my pickup: Amazon.com: OPT7 LED Headlight Bulbs w/ Clear Arc-Beam Kit - H11 (H8, H9) - 60w 7,000Lm 6K Cool White CREE - 2 Yr Warranty: Automotive
How do you like the GTRs?

Swap back to a normal bulb in only one housing and find a white wall or garage door. I was amazed going from regular to HIR (Halogen InfraRed) John Deere bulbs.
I'm thinking about LEDs for my daily driver though. If you want it to work well, it will probably cost more. The Deere HIRs weren't cheap either, but they were well worth it!
For LEDs, these are what I'm considering for my pickup: Amazon.com: OPT7 LED Headlight Bulbs w/ Clear Arc-Beam Kit - H11 (H8, H9) - 60w 7,000Lm 6K Cool White CREE - 2 Yr Warranty: Automotive
How do you like the GTRs?

The GTR's are awesome but spendy, $400 for all 4 if I remember right but they do have a lifetime warranty. And the bulbs themselves are adjustable to shine up/down or side to side. They light up street signs over a mile away in my stock housings

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom