LED headlights (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
(1994 US spec cruiser)

Hey everyone I've had my 80 for a little while now and I was looking to get some led bulbs for the headlights. Some youtube and a Internet search later came up with 9005 and 9006 bulbs. picked up this kit from amazon but it doesn't seem to fit.

Am I using the wrong bulbs? The halogens are held in by a spring retention bar thing not the typical push and turn like the kit I bought.

Sugestions?

I'm no light guru, but I'd only use LEDs in stock housings if you like angering other drivers 😜

Stock 80 housings use 9005 & 9006, so not sure what's going on with yours. Are they Depot housings, perhaps?

The cheap "semi-upgrade" in stock housings is using 9011 & 9012 HIR bulbs, and trimming one of the tabs to fit. Not a huge difference, but some. Some use the highbeam in low position for more light, just don't last as long.

Last edited:
Depending on the size of the bulb and associated cooling it may not fit.

As stated LED's in a stock housing will be brighter but have poor light output

Ya, please don't.. get the bright halogens with modified tabs. Or new housings.

X3… Wagner 9011’s in all 4 locations. At $10-$12 a pop from Rock Auto they are cheap, and you’ll gain about 30% of light output that is well focused. No flashing by oncoming drivers.

I use the diode dynamics bulbs sl1, I don't get flash backs from othe drivers. Make sure you rotate the bulb correctly.

And adjust angles of the housings afterwards.

To install I made new mounts

The oem ones were too thick and made it hard to install.

The trouble is that halogen headlights use a sculpted reflector to focus the light and they are designed to work with the placement of the filament in the lamp unit they are intended to use. LED replacement bulbs cannot mimic the filament placement. As a result, the beam is less focused and the spread is less accurate than with the original bulb.

This lack of beam focus means less range on main beam and a less sharp cutoff on dip. They look brighter, especially off axis, because the light is less directed but the headlamp is not as good.

It really depends on how each company designed their LED 'bulb', if they took the time to get the LED's emission point as close to that of the halogen bulb the results can actually be quite good. Once you do have good bulbs in It does take a little more awareness and adjustment to avoid triggering instant road rage everywhere you drive but once you dial it in it's actually quite nice.

The problem is, those bulbs cost $150+ and 98% of people just buy the Amazon special because it's advertised to have 480,000 lumens of soul-crushing gamma rays that can cast light into the next solar system. Those bulbs are cheaply made with little consideration given to the placement of the LED chip.

I run very nice LED bulbs in my depos and the cutoff is about 98% of what the halogens were but with far better light output. Keep in mind that depos use a European ECE LHD cutoff pattern which exacerbates the LED issue since they kick up on the right side of the pattern. So you have to aim them lower for sure. Good LED's play better in the stock US DOT housings.
dotece.jpg

That said if I were to do it again, I'd just skip it and do it right with a Mirimoto projector HID retrofit.

Diode dynamics states that they place their leds to match where an original bulb light out put would be.
...which is impossible, but sh!t most people will believe it.
A halogen lamp uses a tungsten filament that radiates light from its entire surface. A few LEDs on a flat plate do not replicate a filament heated to incandescence.
But sure, "try out [LED] bulbs for yourself and see what you find."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom