LED headlight conversion bulbs (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have had Roundeyes in the faux lux for years.

A few years ago I put in a set of the lifetime LED H4 replacement bulbs. As easy as swapping bulbs.

I loved the light, although the low beams were better than the high beams (the high beams just seemed to throw light up higher, not get brighter). In the poly Roundeyes the LEDs did allow ice to build up driving in bad weather, and I would often stop every 15-20 miles to knock the ice off.

The other odd thing was that with the headlights on my radio (FM radio, the HAM wasn't affected) got much worse reception. Kind of odd.

Dan

I am running hella e codes. And putco LEDs. There is way too much light going to the left, so I'm gonna swap out the left headlight for a dot code hella.
The lights are on an incredibly new level of bright.
Best investment in lights I've made
Stock wires, no upgrades.
Only thing that's different is, the blue high beam light indicator no longer illuminates. And with the old stock setup, I could push the switch halfway and run both high and low beams.
The LEDs don't allow that dual function.

Here is what I have
Amazon.com: Putco 280004 Silver Lux H4 LED Headlight Conversion Kit (2 Bulbs): Automotive

converted my 84 runner with round eye conversion awhile ago. these have the glass lenes and polish metal housing. just recently replaced the h4 bulbs with Nighteye h4 led high/low beam lamps. Don't really care for the color (6500k) as it is a little too whitye for my liking.

www.nighteyeled.com

Last edited:
I've got E code hella housings with halogen bulbs as well and love them. What you never want to do is try to put an led bulb in one of these housings, they are designed for halogen bulbs and won't give you even close to the same performance. LED headlights are still in their infancy and cheap chinese crap is everywhere. I personally don't like led for headlights and can't stand it when someone with them is behind me. Have you been behind a new 2019 chevy truck?, the factory leds are blinding. I don't know how they got them approved.
Unless you pony up and buy the high quality full replacement led housings, it's just not worth it. I really don't understand the fascination with led in the automotive world besides for off-road lighting and again there is a big difference between cheap chinese crap and expensive quality lighting. For everything else like interior lights, tail, brake, parking etc that would normally be on when the engine is running anyway, nothing beats a standard bulb. led lighting is harsh to the eye, especially those little bulbs. They have come a lot further with inexpensive led lighting for the home and that's where it makes the most sense anyway. We use led at home because electricity is so expensive that you pretty much have to in order to keep the bill down and not necessarily because you like the light they produce.

Last edited:
DOT approval has never been a concern for me. Nobody cares, nobody ever checks.
Not to mention that the DOT doesn't approve anything. They have no testing ability or facilities. They publish the conformance rules and require each mfg of parts that fall under those rules to supply the results from independent testing showing that samples met those rules and QA/QC data showing that they're all made the same way.

The German TUV DOES test parts for conformance. Ironically most of their rules are the same as the DOT's rules. So anything that passes the TUV testing and is legal to use on public highways in Germany is probably legal to use in the US.

I ordered a pair of 9004 conversion LEDs for our '95 CTD, but have not yet installed them. Not sure that I will as I don't like how "hollow" LED light feels to me. Going to start with a set of Baja Designs Squadron Pro aux lights and see how I like those first.

I've got E code hella housings with halogen bulbs as well and love them. What you never want to do is try to put an led bulb in one of these housings, they are designed for halogen bulbs and won't give you even close to the same performance. LED headlights are still in their infancy and cheap chinese crap is everywhere. I personally don't like led for headlights and can't stand it when someone with them is behind me. Have you been behind a new 2019 chevy truck?, the factory leds are blinding. I don't know how they got them approved.
Unless you pony up and buy the high quality full replacement led housings, it's just not worth it. I really don't understand the fascination with led in the automotive world besides for off-road lighting and again there is a big difference between cheap chinese crap and expensive quality lighting. For everything else like interior lights, tail, brake, parking etc that would normally be on when the engine is running anyway, nothing beats a standard bulb. led lighting is harsh to the eye, especially those little bulbs. They have come a lot further with inexpensive led lighting for the home and that's where it makes the most sense anyway. We use led at home because electricity is so expensive that you pretty much have to in order to keep the bill down and not necessarily because you like the light they produce.

If you think LED bulbs are harsh on your eyes, then you are buying the wrong bulbs. The incandescent bulb is dead. I'm in the process of swapping all the bulbs out in my Miata, so much better (not the headlights, those will stay as HIDs).

Even factory LEDs are harsh on the eyes. I would much rather be behind a car using incandescent brake and turn signal bulbs than LEDs especially at night. I think one of the nicest things about incandescent bulbs that is almost never replicated with LED's is the small amount of time it takes for incandescent bulbs to go from off to full brightness. The delay in brightness is very easy on the eyes. LEDs go from off to full brightness instantly and that is what I find harsh on the eyes.

I agree with you, but the proponents of LEDs claim that as positive. That you'll know that the car in front of your is stopping sooner and will get on your brakes that much sooner. There's merit in that argument, but it's BS to think that the difference is so great that its going to make for a huge reduction in accidents.

Well part of my reason to swap out the marker/tail/turn/brake lights on my car is to increase visibility. This is a new venture for me, driving such a tiny car, very different than the trucks I've been driving. Similar to riding a motorcycle, you have to drive like nobody can see you, especially the big lifted bro-dozers that drive too fast and love rolling coal out of those noisy diesels. I'll be installing a flasher on the 3rd brake light, and a DRL module on the front turns. Anything to help people see me.

I do agree on LED headlights, I think they are annoying, and just popping LED bulbs into a housing not designed for them is a bad idea. I have HID projectors in both of my vehicles now, and I think they are superior, both in quality for lighting the road, and not blinding other drivers. Very expensive system though, I hope I never have to replace any of the components.

As the former commuter driver of a first gen MR2 I know exactly what you're going thru. When I found that I had to either drive hyper-aggressively to protect my stopping distance, or I had to allow people to continually take cuts I stopped driving that car to work. I don't think LED lights would have made much difference, but an air horn might have.

I sure wish it was legal to shoot those cars with a pink paint-ball filled with oil based paint.

All I will add is I have LED turn, tail, and brake lights in my 4Runner. I will not be going back to incandescent. I want my brake lights to be stupid, blinding bright to get the idiots behind me to stop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom