LED headlight bulbs 1997 FZJ80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

CMS

Threads
I have a 1997 FZJ80 and would like to replace the incandescent headlight bulbs with LED. I have searched and searched but come up dry? Does anyone have an 80 with stock headlights who has converted to LED? links to the bulbs or instructions would be great..

Personally, I wouldn't put LED bulbs into a US domestic market headlight housing. The DOT spec doesn't have a sharp cutoff, and LED bulbs are *very* bright compared to halogen. I've been seeing them around town and they're blinding.

LEDs work pretty well in Depo housings, because they use a Euro spec cutoff. A sharp, flat cutoff with an upward kick to the right.

I had a decent experience with Leppein headlights in Depo housings, though the intensity was less than ideal and one started flickering after about six months. F2 is probably better. I've only cared about H4 though, and don't even remember what the stock LC housings take.

EURS-F2-LED-Car-Headlight-H4-LED-H7-canbus-H1-H8-H9-H11-9005-9006-72W.jpg

Whenever I see someone who's put those #$@%^*&!!! LEDs into an older headlamp housing that were originally designed for incandescent (filament) bulbs I follow them home, wait until things are quiet, pull a hammer out of my tool bag, sneak up to the vehicle and smash the headlamps, then slowly drive away. In the morning when they see the carnage they get the message and go back to the correct headlight bulbs for their vehicle.

Oh wait, that was a recurring dream I've been having :idea:

Last edited:
note that if you dont put a load resistor in the circuit when using LED globes your blue high beam indicator on the dash will stop working and also any auxillary lights connected to the high beam trigger wont work as well.
I tried them during lockdown and went back to good Phillips globes cause those resistors get really hot which concerned me and to be honest a good quality globe in the stock headlight gave a better light from the drivers seat

If you do put LED's in then make sure you get good ones that have the proper cutouts in them so they dont blind other drivers - or Kernal will visit :)

This is what I used.

Even with Depo housings, there is no defined cutoff for LED bulbs in a reflector housing. The only way to get a true cutoff is with a HID or LED projector.
My LED bulbs are still going fine but I'm saving up for a projector retrofit. My biggest issue with the LED bulbs is the narrow field of view in front of the truck. I've spent a ton of time adjusting the housing but I can make the light spread wider where I want it the most.

LED bulbs in the OEM housing is going to piss off a TON of folks on the road. Especially in a lifted vehicle.

Is there a recommended higher output incandescent/stock type bulb? The light output on mine are pretty sad. Or should I just pull my bulbs and see what they are and shop around?

@ATXnative The standard “easy” replacements are 9011 & 9012 HIR bulbs. 9012 in lows, 9011 highs, or some people do 9011 in both. With the first option, it should be a bit better (could be significant if your old bulbs are that bad) and the second option gives a slightly brighter low, they just don’t last quite as long.

They’re a direct fit, minus trimming one of the tabs. Compare to the old bulb and trim accordingly, either with nail clippers or otherwise. Super easy.

Even with Depo housings, there is no defined cutoff for LED bulbs in a reflector housing.

There is. Again, it's a Euro pattern, with a fairly sharp vertical cutoff that kicks up to the right.

Here are Leppein H4 LEDs in my Depo housings, from 2/2020. 1/6 sec at f/4.0, ISO 400:

LandCruiser-LeppeinHeadlightsDepoHousing.jpg

Here are the same Leppein H4 headlights on high beam, same camera settings:

LandCruiser-LeppeinHeadlightsDepoHousing-HighBeam.jpg

I don't know what's going on with the beam pattern in your thread. I saw that earlier, and I assumed you were using the high beam, or poorly made and/or incorrectly rotated bulbs.

For some reason, I don't seem to have any output photos from the Depos with halogen bulbs, although I could swear I took them. The pattern was somewhat clearer with the halogens. The Leppeins were close to an H4 filament's output position, but definitely imperfect, as seen with the poor lower, right light output.

This page has some good details about the difference between different lighting standards:

ECE:

11..jpg

DOT/SAE:

789.jpg

I've since switched to Morimoto HID projector lamps and wouldn't dream of going back. The lighting is far more even (I'm of the opinion that hotspots increase driver fatigue) and extends ridiculously far to each side, making back road driving much more pleasant.

There is. Again, it's a Euro pattern, with a fairly sharp vertical cutoff that kicks up to the right.

Here are Leppein H4 LEDs in my Depo housings, from 2/2020. 1/6 sec at f/4.0, ISO 400:

View attachment 3118156

Here are the same Leppein H4 headlights on high beam, same camera settings:

View attachment 3118161

I don't know what's going on with the beam pattern in your thread. I saw that earlier, and I assumed you were using the high beam, or poorly made and/or incorrectly rotated bulbs.

For some reason, I don't seem to have any output photos from the Depos with halogen bulbs, although I could swear I took them. The pattern was somewhat clearer with the halogens. The Leppeins were close to an H4 filament's output position, but definitely imperfect, as seen with the poor lower, right light output.

This page has some good details about the difference between different lighting standards:

ECE:

11..jpg

DOT/SAE:

789.jpg

I've since switched to Morimoto HID projector lamps and wouldn't dream of going back. The lighting is far more even (I'm of the opinion that hotspots increase driver fatigue) and extends ridiculously far to each side, making back road driving much more pleasant.
That output looks so much better than any of the LED bulbs I tried in the Depo housings.

Do you have a link?

I use the diode dynamics sl1 with a headlight bulb attachment ring I make and sell.

Diode Dynamics claim the led is in same location as the filament is so the light direction is the same.

@Kernal I hope you bring beer with that bat.
Would you happen to have a reference of your light output with this setup? Curious as I want more lighting, but not at the expense of oncoming traffic

Did you rotate the bulbs after installing them into the housings?

Just search for Leppein on Amazon. I don't recommend them because they started failing (flickering) after around six months.
Yes. The bulbs I settled with are adjustable and position "6" produced the best pattern. There was still no defined cutoff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom