1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LED guages swap - pics!

Discussion in '60-Series Wagons' started by sl33py, Aug 29, 2006.

1. sl33py

sl33py

Hello All!

I finally did it and got pics of the blue LED swap on my 60's console. I swapped every light with a LED. Green for blinkers, Red for warning lights (batt, brake, etc), Amber for 4wd, and so on.

I went with blue LEDs for everything else. I am pretty happy with the results. The speedo is good. The Tach is fair (bit dim). The temp, fuel, oil, volts is a bit too bright - but not terribly so.

blinkers in green are a bit bright too - but no pic - sorry.

All in all - great swap and I don't have to worry about them burning out!! They do dim, but it's a short throw from all the way dim ... to full bright.

[​IMG]
    Here it is with the flash - as you can see i need a new dash... and the temp/gas is the brightest.

[​IMG]
    here is it in the dark - it's actually a bit brighter than this shows. and you can see the tach is the dimmest - but doable.

[​IMG]
    another in the dark - shows the lighting a BIT better. still brighter than this shows.

[​IMG]
    speedo up close. nice blue color! pretty sweet in the dark!!

[​IMG]
    temp / fuel / oil / volt guages. this is the brightest of the 3 guages - almost too bright sometimes.

That's all folks! The other bulbs work as well, nothing exciting.

rob

2. mot

mot

Rob,

I know some would say it's not their cup of tea, but I like it, assuming that you can see the gauges well enough (and not too well;) )

Nice work and thanks for sharing!

Mot

3. Zack1978

Zack1978 SILVER Star

Media:
    I like it as well, however why is it that the tach is so dim?

Zack

4. cruiser88

cruiser88

Media:
    Albums:
  5. sl33py

sl33py

lol - far from bling!

I am a computer guy and love LED's. Headlamps, flashlights - you name it. (especially the LED overhead light!!!) All of my exterior lights and brake lights are LEDs (minus turn signals). Low heat and last forever (basically).

Zack - not sure why it's dim. Maybe down the road i will motivate and tear into it again. It's not as dim as it shows in the pic so im not worried about it. I was in there swapping my speedo cable and just figured I'd do all the lights while at it.

Thanks Mot.

rob

6. Rockrawler

Rockrawler

I have the blue lights in my dash, much easier to see than the red IMO, and brighter than pictured

7. Rig of Mortis

Rig of Mortis

Media:
    Albums:
    Sweet

Those look great, nice work.

Do you happen to have photos of the bulbs prior to the install?

8. 123c

123c

Red would have been the best color to go with, it is the best color to see at night, and easiest on the eye. That's why alot of the European sports and luxury cars have red insturment lights...

9. serenity

serenity No fixed address Moderator SILVER Star

do you have any photos or instructions on how to mount the led's cos my stock lights are getting kinda dim n i was thinking of changing to something else. is it easy to do?

10. PAFJ

PAFJ

Media:
    Albums:
  11. sl33py

sl33py

ROM - they are the std 6 LED cluster w/ "wedge" base. I got them from superbrightleds.com
    http://www.superbrightleds.com/mini-wedge.html

Either the T13-x6 LED Wedge Base Bulbs or WLED-x6 LED Wedge Base Bulbs - i don't remember.

I wouldn't go with anything larger than a 6 bulb cluster - those are a snug fit as is. 9 probably would NOT fit.

123c - yup - red is easier on the eyes, especially at night. but i don't like red. I thought about green - but looking at the wavelengths of the two it seemed like the blue would be brighter - as far as i could tell.

Serenity - The bitch is getting the whole guage cluster out. after that it is CAKE! They have a twist and lock base, super easy to remove and replace. I counted the number of bulbs on the back and ordered the correct number of xxx color.

IIRC -
    blinkers - 2 green
    brake warning light - red
    Seat belt warning light - red
    Choke - amber
    4wd - green? or amber. not sure now.

1 or 2 bulbs for temp/fuel/oil/volts
    1 bulb for Tach
    2 bulbs for Speedo

the most difficult part was putting it all back together w/ the new speedo cable and trying to fit my big mitts up behind to get the speedo cable connected right.

hth! thanks for the kudos.

rob

Last edited: Aug 31, 2006
  12. sl33py

sl33py

ROM - heres a pic of what they look like.
    LED_wedge.jpg

13. sl33py

sl33py

Rockcrawler - is your tach dimmer than the rest as well? how about the left side of your speedo? Now that you guys all have me talking about it I might have to tear into it again to see if i can fix those... I just don't want to mess with that damn speedo cable! lol.

btw - have a 97 XR650L - love it. just put edelbrock pumper on it last night. dial it in today, but already a bit more power.

rob

14. SleekFJ62

SleekFJ62

Looks good. I didn't realize that the LED's were such an easy swap. Thanks for sharing!

15. sl33py

sl33py

one last thing - the green blinkers blink VERY bright!! If i did it again, i might put in a non green bulb or 4 LED cluster bulb to dim it a bit. the green 6 cluster bulb is a bit of a flash in the face at night.

glad you guys like 'em. Finally can contribute something!

rob

16. bigbrowndog

bigbrowndog

Cheers, I put the blue leds in my dash blinkers after having them in the dash and they are ok in daytime but too bright at night. In the HJ75 ute [pickup] they reflect off the back window,windscreen and side windows I expect this would not be as bad in the wagon.I tried the white leds then the blue and ended going back to green glass incadesent bulbs [no condoms] . I also removed the plastic restrictors in front of the dash bulbs and put reflecting chrome tape on the back of the panel.The blue is bling but to me it did not show the red needle and gauge marks as well.From memory the 9 leds are 1/16 of an inch too big for the landcruiser dash and enlarging the hole in the printed circut seemed pretty risky as you would loose most of the contact area.

17. sl33py

sl33py

BBD - yeah i may swap to the 4 bulb cluster for my blinkers to tone them down a bit. maybe even get an additional "gel" or similar in there to filter...

the 9 LEDs wouldn't fit and I would not cut the PCB back there... just asking for trouble IMHO.

I might also remove the restrictor on the tach and speedo - but not the volts/fuel cluster.

thanks guys!

rob

18. bigbrowndog

bigbrowndog

Just an update . I finally got my 6 led dash bulbs and this pic is a comparison with the incadescant. Also changed the indicators to single led greens.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. sandcruiser

sandcruiser

Media:
    Albums:
    looks good. just ordered more leds... looking forward to seeing if I can get the speedo to actually shed some light w/ the LED, otherwise I may just swap that one back to incandescent- but a green bulb instead of the green cap

20. sl33py

sl33py

looks good! Just got my LEDs and will try to swap to the 1 bulb on the flashers soon. Otherwise am going to have a seizure from the strobe...lol.

also got the 9 LED festoon bulb for the heater/fan controls - looks great. Try and grab a pic later.

rob

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">