LED DRL and Flasher Conversion - No Hyper Flash (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Great info in this thread. Adding this to my to do list.
Has anyone found a way to keep the DRL with this harness and SmartTap?
I think that you could add a simple led light anywhere you would like to the front end and then just wire it to a fused power source...
Rigid even makes a pod light with a built in DRL.
Amazon product ASIN B01JSAPH1O
71h3tRpaM6L._SL1200_.jpg

You guys are awesome. I got the Smart Tap and harness installed tonight and they are working great. Thanks for all the guidance!

Glad it worked out for you. I have really enjoyed the SmartTap

Did any of you guys who installed this have issues with the approach lighting feature and remote locking/unlocking? I had to turn that feature off or I could only lock/unlock when those lights were off.

I had no issue with anything.

Interesting. I just turned it off and now everything is working fine but maybe its because I have an 08? Not really a loss for me since I only wanted the tap for lane changes anyway

With the smart tap, what does a "tap" of the signal lever look like? Do you tap it so lightly that it engages electronically but doesn't mechanically stay in the next position, or do you move it to the position and then back for a "tap"?

With the smart tap, what does a "tap" of the signal lever look like? Do you tap it so lightly that it engages electronically but doesn't mechanically stay in the next position, or do you move it to the position and then back for a "tap"?
The former, and kind of both. You push it enough to engage the contacts and it will signal. Whether you engage the lever fully doesn't matter, as even if you engage the lever completely and then pop it back into the center position immediately, it is still going to flash the preset amount of times.

Don’t forget you can code your hazards to SOS 😂
The former, and kind of both. You push it enough to engage the contacts and it will signal. Whether you engage the lever fully doesn't matter, as even if you engage the lever completely and then pop it back into the center position immediately, it is still going to flash the preset amount of times.

I have the original tapturn so maybe that works differently. On the tapturn if doesn't flash 5 times if you fully engage the stalk to click and return it before the preset number of blinks. Also if you hold the stack before that click it can do less than the preset number of blinks as well.

I have the original tapturn so maybe that works differently. On the tapturn if doesn't flash 5 times if you fully engage the stalk to click and return it before the preset number of blinks. Also if you hold the stack before that click it can do less than the preset number of blinks as well.
Interesting. The version I have, which I assume is the latest, doesn't work that way - it just does whatever the number you set (in my case I have it set at four) when the contact is made. Can you adjust the number of blinks on the original version?

To Dan's point, my kids do love wigwag function of the hazards, especially since you can also adjust the speed. It is silly, but it definitely catches the attention more than normal hazards.

I think that you said you have a smart tap which is diode dynamics copy of the original design, tapturn. The tapturn has all of the same features as the smart tap but I guess it does a few things differently

I ordered from the retrofit source since it was a bit cheaper on black Friday than other sites and thats what they sell there

Is this the correct smart tap to order to use with the Toyota 12-pin / 8-pin wiring harness (part #82241-35010)?

I appreciate this thread but I am a bit confused. Maybe what I want doesn't exist but I want to be able to use LED turn signals while keeping day time running lights. I see that harness posted that is a few bucks and requires a wire moved and I see the smart tap module, but the module specifically says no DTRL. What option exists to keep DTRL and use LED lights and not melt things?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom