LED bulbs in Depo housings (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Not a dumb question. Both OEM and Depo are glass lens however (I could be completely wrong here) OEM has additional fresnal lens built into the glass that controls the light direction. The Depo lens is clear and allows for more projection. I'm not entirely sure what LED's would look like in the OEM housing and if the light would be usable. LED bulbs are designed to mimic halogen bulbs so it "might" work.

OEM uses 9005/9006 bulbs, Depo uses H4/H1 bulbs. I personally prefer the ease of fitment of the 9005/9006.

Thank you again for the reply.

I got myself a bit mixed up and didn't realize the other poster already had the Depo housing which led me to think the H4 bulbs worked in OEM housings - hence my question about the OEM housing. I am now clear that H4 = Depo housing.

I'm not happy with the OEM headlight quality (brightness or projection) so I'll have to spring for the Depo housing and H4 bulbs.

As for the Depo corner lights, are those just aesthetic dressing, or is there a latent benefit there as well?

Last edited:
I understand stand you’re looking for a low cost solution and it appears the LED in a DEPO housing is a improvement over stock... it’s still not something I would find acceptable visibility at night. There is an LED bulb I found at that looks just like a projector buts it’s a bulb.. it might produce a better output and it not expensive .. I found it on Ailibaba ...at the time they had limited sizes but I’ll check

Last edited:
I found those projector LED's ....scroll down in the ad and you see they have left hand and right hand drive cutoffs just like HIDs

Last edited:
I found those projector LED's ....scroll down in the add and you see they have left hand and right side drive cutoffs just like HIDs

Well then. I would definitely like to know more about them. While Amazon and Alibaba carry very similar products, I can return anything I don't like with my Prime membership. A purchase from Alibaba is a gamble and could be a waste of money. However I am intrigued by this design and will be looking for more information on them.

Thank you again for the reply.

I got myself a bit mixed up and didn't realize the other poster already had the Depo housing which led me to think the H4 bulbs worked in OEM housings - hence my question about the OEM housing. I am now clear that H4 = Depo housing.

I'm not happy with the OEM headlight quality (brightness or projection) so I'll have to spring for the Depo housing and H4 bulbs.

As for the Depo corner lights, are those just aesthetic dressing, or is there a latent benefit there as well?
Hi, I swapped the wiring around on my 97 80 series with the corner lamps being my turn signals and the lower front lights are now my marker lights. Makes a lot more sense.

AUXITO H4 9003 LED Headlight Bulb Fanless 9000 Lumens Adjustable Beam 6500K in both driver and passenger side headlight assemblies.
View attachment 2466611

Exposure -2.0. Contrast -100
View attachment 2466612

The full lineup in the same order as above.
View attachment 2466627

Exposure -2.0. Contrast -100
View attachment 2466629
This is a great post thats was a lot of work. shout out to you sir....I would pick number one I think. I do have a question I think is related. Why are the fog lights on my 2014 j200 yellow, whilst the headlights are bluish white? I do not like the contrast and are there blue white higher quality Fog lights which I can purchase and where? Thanks in advance. Rob

I’m considering going back to “normal” bulbs. While the lighting is great for me as a driver, I think the spill is too much for oncoming traffic.

OP: no issues for you? Maybe I’m adjusting the headlights incorrect.

I’m considering going back to “normal” bulbs. While the lighting is great for me as a driver, I think the spill is too much for oncoming traffic.

OP: no issues for you? Maybe I’m adjusting the headlights incorrect.
I've adjusted my LED's for further throw and I've yet to get a single flash from oncoming drivers. In addition, I work from home and lately most of my driving has been at night. I still definitely prefer the LED's over the H4 halogens that I tried. The pictures really don't capture how much dimmer the H4 halogen was compared to the H4 LED.

This is a great post thats was a lot of work. shout out to you sir....I would pick number one I think. I do have a question I think is related. Why are the fog lights on my 2014 j200 yellow, whilst the headlights are bluish white? I do not like the contrast and are there blue white higher quality Fog lights which I can purchase and where? Thanks in advance. Rob
The yellow fogs provide more contrast in fog and snow conditions for the human eye. I am not familiar with the 200's fogs and I don't know if this is a yellow fog tint applied to the lens or the bulbs themselves produce yellow light.

I've adjusted my LED's for further throw and I've yet to get a single flash from oncoming drivers. In addition, I work from home and lately most of my driving has been at night. I still definitely prefer the LED's over the H4 halogens that I tried. The pictures really don't capture how much dimmer the H4 halogen was compared to the H4 LED.
Read through the thread when first posted. Maybe you mentioned since and I missed.. Which ones did you settle on?

Read through the thread when first posted. Maybe you mentioned since and I missed.. Which ones did you settle on?
AUXITO H4 9003 LED Headlight Bulb Fanless 9000 Lumens Adjustable Beam
Same as above but rotated to notch 6.

1612884610707.png

You got it. Just do not expect the same level of light output that @Luke111 is showing. The plug-n-play LED's are bulb replacements. Each one has an additional wire that comes off the LED to plug into the adapter. That adapter plugs into the OEM harness.

The primary purpose of my experiment was to show the WIDE variation in LED output and demonstrate that there are LED's out there that are safe to install in Depo headlight assemblies that will not blind oncoming drivers.
Why doesn't the h4 9003 pop up on Auxito's website under Land cruisers? Only 9005...?

Last edited:
www.amazon.com/AUXITO-Headlight-9000Lumens-Extremely-Conversion/dp/B07DGTTTKN
As with most companies with rapid technology refresh, they don't update their own sites quick enough.

I misread your response. The 9005 is the bulb for the original headlight housing. The H4 low / H1 high is for the Depo housing.
View attachment 2580604
I should have specified, sorry. I have Depot housings. I didn't realize that would have made the difference. Still doesn't make sesnse..

I should have specified, sorry. I have Depot housings. I didn't realize that would have made the difference. Still doesn't make sesnse..
Pretty sure it remember it saying the depos didn't come with the socket in the housing. Are the eom not removable? That may be where im getting lost.

Pretty sure it remember it saying the depos didn't come with the socket in the housing. Are the eom not removable? That may be where im getting lost.
Depos come ready to accept h4 bulb and h1 bulb. Factory US market housings use 9005 and 9006.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom