LED 9006 headlight bulbs anyone? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anyone tried the aftermarket LED low beam bulbs? I went through three different sets that all said they are 100% compatible and fits the housing directly, but none of them did, I wasn't able to insert the base and make the turn to locking position. Luckily I'm able to return them unused.
Just ordered a pair of Sylvania SilverStar Ultra halogen bulbs instead.

I went 9006 -> HIR (9012) -> HID with Morimoto projector. The HIR is definitely better than the 9006 and there were no glare issues, as the bulb is more or less the same shape and in the same position. The HID is way way better.
I really hate LED and HID in the reflector without a projector. I really hope it becomes illegal everywhere.

I was more looking for plug and play application since HID requires ballast and all that set up. Think I'm going back to the Sylvania Silver Star Ultra halogen bulb.

The biggest issue that I have found is that HID/LED don't necessarily have the same filament size (replicated) as that of a incandescent/halogen bulb. So what happens is in the reflector style housing, the light disbursement gets all jacked up and throws light all over the place without focusing properly down the road. NOW, there are some brands that have been able to replicate this filament size close enough that it works close to what a halogen bulb does in the reflector housing.

I have been running the Diode Dynamics SL1 for about a year now with zero complaints. Light pattern seems great and are nice and bright without being too bright. They were definitely on the tight side getting the back into the housing but that was more because of the rubber o-ring. After looking at their instructions they did say that their o-ring caused issues in some housing so to swap out with halogen one and BAM worked like a charm.

I have also seen that @LXPlore and MisterMemo are running the LASFIT replacements (I believe they both are at least) and have had good things to say about them.

The biggest issue that I have found is that HID/LED don't necessarily have the same filament size (replicated) as that of a incandescent/halogen bulb. So what happens is in the reflector style housing, the light disbursement gets all jacked up and throws light all over the place without focusing properly down the road. NOW, there are some brands that have been able to replicate this filament size close enough that it works close to what a halogen bulb does in the reflector housing.

I have been running the Diode Dynamics SL1 for about a year now with zero complaints. Light pattern seems great and are nice and bright without being too bright. They were definitely on the tight side getting the back into the housing but that was more because of the rubber o-ring. After looking at their instructions they did say that their o-ring caused issues in some housing so to swap out with halogen one and BAM worked like a charm.

I have also seen that @LXPlore and MisterMemo are running the LASFIT replacements (I believe they both are at least) and have had good things to say about them.
This is the answer^^^^. I too was running the 9012 for years, they are a little better than the 9006, maybe 20% brighter. I then switched to the Diode Dynamics SL1 and the difference is unbelievable. The amount of light they put out is a like a projector. I have a 200 series LC as well and the 100 is now equal with the 200 for headlights.

The nice thing about the DD bulbs is you can adjust the alignment of the LED's in the bulb itself to ensure it disperses correctly when installed, it took about 6 tries to get it just right because you have to change the alignment w/ the bulb out of the car, so it was a little trial by error. There is a distinct, normal looking low beam cutoff when installed correctly. I have never been flashed by other drivers while running these bulbs.

I had the same install issue as gregnash and had to swap out the o-rings from my old bulbs and then they just went right in. The 9006 / 9012 headlight performance is a major weakness of the 100 and I would never go back to either of those bulbs.

That's the exact issue I ran into of the ones I got, they are not adjustable to align so the LED diodes are at 3 and 9 'o clock positions. I understand it will take some tweaking like you indicated to get them in just the right vertical orientation.
I ordered a pair that has LED diodes on four sides basically emitting the light at 360 degrees to avoid the need to keep adjusting. Hopefully that will work.

I've been running Morimoto 2Stroke 2.0's in my LC for a few years now - nice, bright light, sharp cutoff (almost as good as the wife's GX), never been flashed once.

I'm comparing the Diodes Dynamics SL1 and Morimoto 2Stroke 3.0. They both look quite large due to the fans in the back, I assume they will fit especially the one on left in front of the battery unit. Any advice or suggestions which to get would be great.

I'm comparing the Diodes Dynamics SL1 and Morimoto 2Stroke 3.0. They both look quite large due to the fans in the back, I assume they will fit especially the one on left in front of the battery unit. Any advice or suggestions which to get would be great.
No issues with fitting my SL1s behind the battery.
That's the exact issue I ran into of the ones I got, they are not adjustable to align so the LED diodes are at 3 and 9 'o clock positions. I understand it will take some tweaking like you indicated to get them in just the right vertical orientation.
I ordered a pair that has LED diodes on four sides basically emitting the light at 360 degrees to avoid the need to keep adjusting. Hopefully that will work.
The Diode Dynamics bulb housing actually rotates. There is a small set screw that you loosen to allow the bulb housing to rotate for the proper alignment so that the bulb is facing up and down. As @timeo said, there is a bit of trial and error with this to find the proper alignment but really it doesn't take all that long to get it handled.

I believe Morimoto 3.0 also rotates adjust so the LED's align at the 3 and 9 'o clock position.

Does anyone know what's the trick to adjust the height of the beams? Just installed the bulbs, very bright but I feel the beam is slightly too high and may blind oncoming car. But the LED chips are in the correct position (3 & 9 'o clock) it may need slight tweeking, but very time consuming.
Would be great if I know which way to turn since this is in the factory reflector housing.

Very interested in the Diode Dynamics SL1 if this is a plug and play option as I have been considering going down the HID projector retrofit route ($$$).

I currently have HIR bulbs in my 99, which was a good improvement over stock. Can anyone confirm the LED Diode Dynamics SL1 are an improvement over HIR and will work fine in the stock reflector housings (other than adjusting the LED chips to 3 and 9 o’clock positions to orient the cutouff)?

edit: I have a 99 land cruiser with stock reflector housings

thanks

Last edited:
Does anyone know what's the trick to adjust the height of the beams? Just installed the bulbs, very bright but I feel the beam is slightly too high and may blind oncoming car. But the LED chips are in the correct position (3 & 9 'o clock) it may need slight tweeking, but very time consuming.
Would be great if I know which way to turn since this is in the factory reflector housing.
Having a similar issue. Both the low beams and the DRL/high beam bulbs are all wonky and out of alignment.... the pattern is unusable at night without the fogs on.

Putting in 9006 and 9005 SilverStar Ultras in the headlights tomorrow- once I figure out the pattern adjustment I'll report back. Got 9006 Phillips CrystalVision bulbs for the fog lights for ~$10 on Amazon the other day.

You'll need a longer than average #2 Phillips screwdriver. Photo is the backside of the right ((passenger) side headlight.

Look for this adjuster, see the two molded fins about the grey gear, thats the guide slot for the Phillips head to engage those teeth.

fullsizeoutput_299.jpeg

Very interested in the Diode Dynamics SL1 if this is a plug and play option as I have been considering going down the HID projector retrofit route ($$$).

I currently have HIR bulbs in my 99, which was a good improvement over stock. Can anyone confirm the LED Diode Dynamics SL1 are an improvement over HIR and will work fine in the stock reflector housings (other than adjusting the LED chips to 3 and 9 o’clock positions to orient the cutouff)?

edit: I have a 99 land cruiser with stock reflector housings

thanks
Not sure on a 99 but the SL1 are plug and play for a stock 00 and night and day better than the HIR. Even if the SL1 only lasts a year or two I would never go back to HIR.

Not sure on a 99 but the SL1 are plug and play for a stock 00 and night and day better than the HIR. Even if the SL1 only lasts a year or two I would never go back to HIR.
Wow, really?

I really liked my HIR upgraded bulbs...

Maybe I need to pony up and get some DD SL1s.

Are you guys just keeping the high beam stock incan as to not interfere with the DRLs?

LED Definitely the way to go. Is there enough room to get the screwdriver on to even engage on that hex head? Luckily there's not a battery in the way like on driver's side.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom