Leaving in the AM ~ Real Time PS Help Needed! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

C6H12O6

SILVER Star
Threads
I looked through some previous posts, but most of the whining noise posts seem to be more related to vehicle speed. Here's the deal...

This has happened twice now, after hard acceleration then coming to a stop. On acceleration, I get a whining noise that sounds like power steering pump. The pitch and volume of the whine changes with engine RPM and the sound "shifts down" with the transmission. The first time I noticed it, the noise went away the next time I drove the car. Today, I noticed the noise again, then got a noticeable moan from the steering and a little more effort required to turn into a parking lot. The moan and resistance happened again on my next turn in the parking lot, but then disappeared. The next two trips with the truck that day, I still had the winding up and down whining, but it has since disappeared.

I couldn't duplicate the noise in the driveway this afternoon. Sometimes I could barely hear the noise in P or N at a stoplight, but now it's gone again.

1500 mile roadtrip in the AM. Anything to worry about? I have about 4 hours of daylight and good lights in the garage. I think it is the PS, but I haven't been able to isolate.

1995 FZJ80, 165K miles, great running shape otherwise.

Thanks in advance.
Steve

check the PS fluid level for starters.

yeah, I just read the post you referenced. That sounds more like my issue, although I don't have time to pull all that apart before the trip.

As soon as I get back, I'll try pulling the AC belt to see if that changes things, but it's hard as the noise is so intermittent. I'll also drain and replace the PS fluid just in case. I wish this had reared its head before the day before the trip. I should know to plan for the FU%& Me Factor with the first road trip with the new rig.

Maybe it will become more consistent or go tits up while on my trip. That would make troubleshooting it easier

:doh:

Steve could it be the fan clutch?

Andre,
Yeah, I thought maybe, but it sure sounds like a power steering pump whine. Don't know what's in there, but that always seemed to have a very distinct sound to me. Also, with the brief PS moan on a 90° turn and the resistance in the steering, it seems as the two are related. Maybe not. Hell, I'm headed to Montana and the Henry's Fork for a week of fly fishing. My brain isn't firing on all cyliders right now.

Best of luck! I hit the Green at Flaming Gorge last weekend and should be spending a day on the Ness and the Spey in two weeks. Brain doesn't need the cruiser will. Post pics w/ cruiser in back ground.

Steve,

If it's still doing it tomorrow, stop in Coeur d'Alene for 30 minutes and we'll bleed/drain your PS fluid. Sounds like mine did and this stopped it - a year or more ago. (I think you're heading to Montana?) PM me and I'll send you my cell.

DougM

I was doing a search for "whining sound while driving" and two threads came up. one by cruiserphil, and this one that has a link to cruiserphil's post. I am curious if this was ever fixed and what the cause was?

I took now have the mysterious FZJ80 engine squeel.

This one was mine...

I didn't have a squeal, so much as a moan. A squeal is probably the belt slipping on the pulley. Usually, that's because of a loose/worn belt, or a pump that is freezing up, though I don't think that would happen with this type of pump.

Mine was a really slight moaning noise as I turned the wheel. I put a capful of Downy fabric softener in that night and it has been magic ever since. A PS fluid change is on the short list of PM for right after school gets out this summer, but it hasn't been an issue since the Downy. It still has a very slight moan at times, but nothing anybody else would ever notice.

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom