Leather cleaning (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Who has experience cleaning the leather in their LC or other finely upholstered vehicle? I've never cleaned/conditioned the leather in the 100 and don't know if it's ever been done. I figured if I was cleaning out all the mud and dirt from Cruise Moab this weekend I should take care of the seats as well. I did find a post on MUD about Leatherique but that stuff's crazy expensive. Any other brands or homemade solutions that y'all would suggest?

Well, saddles get saddle soap and Neat's foot oil, and they prolly see Moab dirt on a monthly if not weekly basis. Let's see what others say.

I prefer mothers cleaner as its almost a gel base and works well.. So does the conditioner.

Lexol is another good one.

Shane

Well aside from the fact that I'm apalled at having a thread on leather conservation on a 4WD forum, I guess the times they are a changin'.

I've been round and round with cleaning/maintaining leather car seats. I've found most of the "cleaners" do a good job of cleaning but leave the leather dry afterward. If you have a porous leather surface like a saddle or catcher's mit then Neatsfoot oil is the best, but doesn't seem to soak in to the finish on car seats. The Lexol products make the seat shiny, buy don't seem to "sink in" either. They are waxy and I think most of it ends up on your jeans after sitting in the seat.

The product that I have found that really seems far and away better than anything else is Aerospace 303 Protectant. It is hard to find (hot tub stores and sometimes RV places) and is expensive, but worth it. Use it on your dashboard, leather seats, exterior plastic bits, anywhere you might use Armorall. But instead of just laying down a shiny silicone coat, this stuff actually soaks in and protects the material for months. I swear by it.

303 is also highly preferred by the boating community, as it doesn't leave petroleum residue like armour-all does. used for drysuit and other gaskets, general boat care; it's the go-to protectant, and doesn't leave petroleum contaminants in the waterways..

well, at least back in the dark ages when I was boating: Dagger and Perception were seperate companies then.

Well aside from the fact that I'm apalled at having a thread on leather conservation on a 4WD forum, I guess the times they are a changin'.

I've been round and round with cleaning/maintaining leather car seats. I've found most of the "cleaners" do a good job of cleaning but leave the leather dry afterward. If you have a porous leather surface like a saddle or catcher's mit then Neatsfoot oil is the best, but doesn't seem to soak in to the finish on car seats. The Lexol products make the seat shiny, buy don't seem to "sink in" either. They are waxy and I think most of it ends up on your jeans after sitting in the seat.

The product that I have found that really seems far and away better than anything else is Aerospace 303 Protectant. It is hard to find (hot tub stores and sometimes RV places) and is expensive, but worth it. Use it on your dashboard, leather seats, exterior plastic bits, anywhere you might use Armorall. But instead of just laying down a shiny silicone coat, this stuff actually soaks in and protects the material for months. I swear by it.

303 is also highly preferred by the boating community, as it doesn't leave petroleum residue like armour-all does. used for drysuit and other gaskets, general boat care; it's the go-to protectant, and doesn't leave petroleum contaminants in the waterways..

well, at least back in the dark ages when I was boating: Dagger and Perception were seperate companies then.

so for 303, its the only thing i'v found that will make faded black plastic actually black again. as opposed to shiny faded black plastic... i'd never try it on leather, but i have no good reason for not to.

my 80 front seats are split, cardboard hard leather and i've thrown 32+oz of lexol over the last month at them. with mixed results honestly. commenting on lexols penetration powers... i'm not impressed. it really makes my second row feel nice, but it was in good condition to start with. lexol is also the only thing i'd used on my motorcycle leathers, again already in good condition. leatherique is another name you will come across. it is expensive (more than lexol), and i haven't tried it, but lots of mudders seem to swear by it... and neets foot is classic but IIRC way too expensive to consider for large surface area? YMMV let me know if you find something great, i'm still undecided.

Well, considering that we are a group of people that supposedly H8MUD, leather seating does make more sense than fabric, since it is easier to clean off. At least I'm not talking about curtain colors or protective films for my paint.

Jon, you are going to have to burn those pics to save his reputation, before those who don't know ask about it. How times can one bring it up, despite how funny it is?

Jon, you are going to have to burn those pics to save his reputation, before those who don't know ask about it. How times can one bring it up, despite how funny it is?

What pictures?
610.jpg

Well, considering that we are a group of people that supposedly H8MUD, leather seating does make more sense than fabric, since it is easier to clean off...

Naugahyde, baby!

Naugahyde, baby!

how many Naugah's are killed to make a Naugahyde seat? they are rare enough already aren't they? never seen one in the wild...:flipoff2:

how many Naugah's are killed to make a Naugahyde seat? they are rare enough already aren't they? never seen one in the wild...:flipoff2:

they are nomadic and nocturnal... "naugah naseeone"

That's not funny. Naugah's are endangered.

all i can say is thank goodness... when they go the way of the pleatherasaurus the world will be a more comfortable place.

You guys are funny.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom