Learning to weld (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Along with learning to sew, this is one of my missions in life. Still debating whether it's worth it, though I have so many damn small projects that need doing (example: washer bottle bracket, stove bracket on my trailer etc.) that I would go bankrupt if I had to pay for everything retail or custom.

So what I really need to know is, it is one thing to eliminate the cost of labour by learning to weld and the initial cost of a 220v welder, but it that enough to justify taking the time to do it? Where does one get cheap steel? with so many steel recyclers around, and the price they pay for steel, you'd think it would be super cheap to go grab a pickup load for $50.

With the other thread example of the washer bottle bracket, should I just accept that I need to buy retail stuff? I do woodworking, and know that making stuff myself can actually end up costing me more than just going to buy it.

opinions and observations please

I'd suggest for the novice welder, don't buy recycled steel unless it's pristine. Clean, rust free, non-oxidized steel will make your life so much easier when it comes to learning to weld. As you get experience you'll figure out ways to weld rusty, crappy steel... with many a curse word.
I get my steel from Metal Supermarket in Langley, there are cheaper solutions, but I have a good rapport
with a couple of the guys there, which in turn leads to favourable pricing

You'll never regret learning how to repair your stuff. Much better to repair than replace I always say.

Sewing, welding, wood working, plumbing, electrical. Always pays to learn the basics of these trades.

A wire-feed Mig welder is very easy to learn to use. Look for an introductory welding class at your local college or find a buddy who welds and spend a couple of hours learning the fundamentals.

Sure, your'e not going to be a full-time fabricator, but when it comes to repairing stuff that breaks, you'll be glad you have the confidence to pick up a welder and go for it.

Sounds like a topic for a tech day.... :hmm:

Learn to weld. Once you have the equipment you will use it more than you think. I make all sorts of stuff not just for my truck. Fancy little light tabs for a friends car, heavy duty gate braces for my dads house, atv repairs all sorts of things. Might be cheaper to buy things to a point but you can still make them your own with extra recovery points antennae mounts all stuff you would have to hand over a couple cases of beer for or cash.

First you have ask yourself how much will you really be welding. How useful and important will this skill and the tools be to you now as well as layer in life.
It's not just about buying an inexpensive welder, there are countless other tools and costs associated with it. Grinders, drills, maybe a drill press, shears, something to bend metal, etc, etc.
Can make do and start off small? yes.
Is every project going to be a learning curve and take 3 times as long as it should? Yes, at least at first.
The more you do it will it get cheaper? No, because you'll find tools to make your life easier and spend money on them.
If you decide you really want to get into metal fab, go hang out at a shop that does it, and see how long a skilled person, with the right tools does something, then multiply it by 3 or more.
It's worthwhile, fun, interesting and rewarding but only if you are really interested in it. If you're doing it because you just want to "save a couple bucks", then it likely is not worth the cost and time.

Welding rocks.

Take a night course or something to get the basics of wire feed. (mig) Thats all you need for basic "at home" fab work. No need to go crazy with all the other stuff (stick, gas, TIG etc...)

I've built more than a handful of trucks with a cheap ass wire feed and a mastercraft angle grinder. Better tools will come along later. Giver s*** man!

All great responses (esp Jeff's link hah). Yes, almost every fxxxing week I'm cursing because I have something I think I could use a welder for, whether it's fabbing a simple bracket or repairing something small up to the larger stuff of course. But every week. Guess I'll giver, look into a course.
Thanks all, much appreciated.

I've built more than a handful of trucks with a cheap ass wire feed and a mastercraft angle grinder. Better tools will come along later. Giver s*** man!

Agreed. I still have no fancy tools, although I did get a cheap torch set, and an old drill press, to make a few things easier (oh and I do use a die grinder now that I have found out how useful that metal bit is ;) ). Pretty much everything can be done with a cheap grinder and welder. It all just takes time, instead of bending, weld and grind, might not look perfect, but pretty close. Don't need a course, it just all takes time and practice. mess it up once, try again, until you are happy. If you arn't patient, forget about it and suck up having to pay someone.:hillbilly:

Agreed. I still have no fancy tools, although I did get a cheap torch set, and an old drill press, to make a few things easier (oh and I do use a die grinder now that I have found out how useful that metal bit is ;) ). Pretty much everything can be done with a cheap grinder and welder. It all just takes time, instead of bending, weld and grind, might not look perfect, but pretty close. Don't need a course, it just all takes time and practice. mess it up once, try again, until you are happy. If you arn't patient, forget about it and suck up having to pay someone.:hillbilly:

since then I have upraged my welder though..... and a cut off saw. still rockin 3 angle grinders with a different wheel on each though!!:beer:

since then I have upraged my welder though..... and a cut off saw. still rockin 3 angle grinders with a different wheel on each though!!:beer:

I found with the cut off saw we had at my parents place it cut crooked, and a thick cut which took longer than the zip cut on the angle grinder. I have since discovered that one of those hand metal beltsaws, is quite good, and fast. I won it at a bonspiel and have used it a bit and am quit impressed. plus it doesn't spray the sparks all over the shop, which makes a huge layer of grindings on everything:hillbilly:

I found with the cut off saw we had at my parents place it cut crooked, and a thick cut which took longer than the zip cut on the angle grinder. I have since discovered that one of those hand metal beltsaws, is quite good, and fast. I won it at a bonspiel and have used it a bit and am quit impressed. plus it doesn't spray the sparks all over the shop, which makes a huge layer of grindings on everything:hillbilly:

you gotta buy a good one. i got a makita. but theres 2. one made in china and one made in us. the us made one is $100 more and way better

welder for sale

i have a marette 185 this is a 220v machine i have had his welder for many years it works great. i do not have a 220v or dryer plug handy. and for some beers i will set it up and give you a pointer or two. you can google for its specs.
i think 400. is a fair price. let me know at cargo333@yahoo.ca
thx gar..

and for some beers i will set it up and give you a pointer or twocargo333@yahoo.ca
thx gar..

I took Gars course back in '05, just upgraded the craftsman to a miller, to bad I didn't see this sooner or I could have opened my own Gar welder musium;)

Caftsman 120V wire feed welder for sale.

Don't learn to weld - Make friends with a welder ;) .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom