Lean much? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I measured at the front wheel wells on our "new" FJ80. It measures 37.5 inches tall on the DS and 39 inches on the PS.

I have read much about this in the archives. Some say just replace the springs. Others say to adjust the sway bars.

My question is: How would I know if the previous owner installed the correct springs Left and Right? Is there a way to know without removing them and measuring length?

is your measurement from the ground up? Measure from the hub center to the flare center. This will remove the inaccuracies of tire size from inflation.

The taller spring should be on the driver side. You can jack up your truck, put the frame on jack stands, remove the front wheels, and let the axle hang down. This should give you enough space to measure the coils. You may find that you have to unbolt the sway bar, brake line retainers, and shocks to get enough droop to measure, but it is hard to say without knowing what your setup is.

The springs are most likely on the wrong side.

You don't "adjust" sway bars.

As @BILT4ME stated, I would see if you can identify any markings or tags on the springs to determine if they're on the wrong sides. You may also have lick just swapping if there are no indicators.

I was under the truck tonight changing the oil on the front diff. I used the camera on my phone to see if there are markings on the oil springs. Lo and behold. It has a sticker on top that states OME 850 X O/N 439101. It also has a second sticker with a B on the PS. I could not find markings on the DS. So it seems that I have Old Man Emu coil springs. Someone before me added those. Strange that they didn't update the shocks. I just changed the shocks and they were OEM Toyota shocks (I expect that they were original to the truck).

Soooo......based on the research here, it seems that they need to be swapped? Should B not be on the DS?

Forget the markings and just try the swap, easy enough. If it doesn't fix you can just dial it in with spacers which is a totally legit way of doing it.

When I put on my lift the springs were exactly the same. You adjust any lean by using spacers.
Yeah mine are on the right side and I still lean. Any recommendations on spacer brand and how to do it? I did search too.

Yeah mine are on the right side and I still lean. Any recommendations on spacer brand and how to do it? I did search too.

I got mine from metal tech, think they are OME brand. I put them in by jacking up the frame so the axel hangs down as much as possible and then using a coil spring compressor to compress the spring enough to slide the spacer on to the top. I had to put a 10mm on the drivers side front and rear.

I spent a few hours tonight swapping the front springs. Took the bottom nuts off the shocks. Loosened all the lines that might snag and removed the swaybar bolts. Took more than a few minutes, so I am sure I did something wrong or inefficiently.

After this, I measured from the axles and there is still 1'' difference. The DS is still lower. I looked at the stickers on the back and it seems that they need to be swapped also. This is going to take a minute.

Not sure that I want to to it AGAIN to put in spacers. However, I can imagine that it will bother me enough at some point to do it.

BTW, I have a FULL tank of gas in it now, so some of the lean might be gas?

I got mine from metal tech, think they are OME brand. I put them in by jacking up the frame so the axel hangs down as much as possible and then using a coil spring compressor to compress the spring enough to slide the spacer on to the top. I had to put a 10mm on the drivers side front and rear.
What size did u end up using
Whoops I see it

Last edited:
This forum is invaluable, and I’ve only been here a few days.

Yes I know I’m bumping a 2 year old thread, that’s the point.

After having fun for a few days with the 80 I noticed a decided lean to the DS while in the driveway. Spent 2+ hours under truck measuring, inspecting, looking for non existent torsion bars……

I’ll just check forum first going forward 🥴

098C41FE-6C8C-4565-97C4-CCE2EE545D63.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom