Leaky water pump solved (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
cruiseroutfitters.com
A new one to me.... :D

So a good customer brought us a water pump a couple months back and wated us to install it on his 85' FJ60. I usually don't install stuff we don't provide (for a reason), but he planned on installing it himself but just didn't have the time. The original Toyota pump had ~180k and was starting to leak pretty badly from the weep hole. We installed the pump, everything worked great, fast forward a couple months...

He calls and tells me that it seems the new water pump is going bad already (non-Toyota pump for reference). Seems somewhat pre-mature but plausible... So he brings in the Cruiser and I crawl under it to see where it was leaking from. To my surprise, it was coming out near one of the bolt heads on the bottom of the pump... So I think the middle gasket has failed... No biggie, Olly can have it pulled off and reinstalled in an hour and the gaskets are in stock. So he removes the pump, cleans it up real well, cleans the block, replaces both gaskets and reinstalls the pump, hooks everything back up, fires it up... IT LEAKS WORSE.

This has both of us really confused???

The pump comes off again for a closer inspection... turns out the cheap cast pump cracked...

water_pump_003.jpg

Hope this saves someone an extra install... :D

Every day on this board there is one more reason to use OEM parts. I had one of those NAPA pumps on my FJ40 that I pulled off just to prevent stuff like this. Good pics/detective work.

Cruiserdrew said:
Every day on this board there is one more reason to use OEM parts. I had one of those NAPA pumps on my FJ40 that I pulled off just to prevent stuff like this. Good pics/detective work.

I was truly amazed at the difference in the OEM versus this one (sadly made in the US)... The OEM one weighed a considerable amount more... makes you wonder where they cut the corners on casting :D

I am pretty picky about what aftermarket parts I will use, this won't be one of them ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom