1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

leaky seals

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by Ross IV, Feb 23, 2007.

1. Ross IV

Ross IV

I know, look in the FAQ. but that thing is hard to navigate and I havent bugged anyone in a long time.

i gotta know, how in the hell do i get either the FSM, found it tried it, not computer savvy: or how do i just grease the damn knuckle. I am leaking out of the hub and I am almost positive it is the knuckle but I gotta get there first.

Easiest. send me a link to the proper place, please. pics would really help.

2. 80krazE

80krazE

FSM: call 1-800-622-2033

There are two(2) manuals, one for mechanical and one for electrical.

Mech- $80ish
    Elec- $50ish

IIRC

3. Squash

Squash SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    Photo

Hopefully you can resize the photo.

Locations marked by ilegible white boxes.

My unit offers two locations: You will not have the Orange hose but should or may have a nut above the Knuckle, remove nut and fill to 3/4 capacity, use your finger or screw driver to monitor. The idea is to Have grease.

Second location: ABS sensor, remove both bolts, gently remove sensor, and fill cavity from here.

Luckily for me grease can be added to the Knuckle via the orange hose and permanent grease fitting, while the birf gets its grease via a nipple on the dust cap. This unit recieves 5 pumps of grease per day per fitting. 4x5= 20 pumps of grease per day!!!!!!

Some might call this over greasing but this has been the procedure for years, excess grease will weep through the felts.

Better to have grease leaving the system as opposed to dirt and water entering.

e-mail for better pics
    toyota 006.JPG toyota 013.jpg toyota 012.jpg

4. Ross IV

Ross IV

Thank you for your help. now i know where to start and what to do.

5. Rookie2

Rookie2

Ross IV,

It would help if you could post a pic of your knuckle and the said "leak". We could better tell from a photo what's going on down there... IE if the inner axle seal has sprung a leak.

:beer:
    Rookie2

6. Beowulf

Beowulf

The 80-Series FAQ is extremely easy to navigate; all it takes is tiny bit of initiative on your part.

1. Click on the link to the FAQ (it is ~6th line at the start of the 80-Section)

2. Click on "Maintenance" (nothing hard about that...)

3. Click on "Front axle rebuild " (that's pretty easy too.)

and that brings you to this thread where everything you could possibly care to know about servicing the front axle is spelled out in minute detail with pictures for those too lazy to read the text.

-B-