Leaky injector? My 3fe turbo build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
It's been running great, for now planning to leave it at 5 lbs of boost. Fuel curve has been good until this weekend. Was sitting at the bank drive through and was watching the AF wideband gauge, typically idles at 14.7 but it started to drop all the way down to the 10:1 range, very rich. Mostly idles now in the 11/12 : 1 AFR. Figure I've got an injector leaking as it also normally fires instantly but the fuel rail loses pressure now when shut down and probably getting raw fuel in a cylinder and it takes a couple extra seconds to crank. Fuel pressure at idle is 48 psi, that's the lowest I can adjust it down to.

So here's my plan and let me know if you'd do anything different. Was going to buy a set of reman injectors off ebay for $135, then send mine to witch hunter to get rebuilt. Given my 3fe is turboed would there be a better choice for injectors?

I would replace them. Not much you can actually rebuild on a fuel injector. Basically a company cleans them and installs new orings which in my opinion is kinda stretching it calling it a rebuild. If a injector fails on a forced induction motor you burn a hole in the piston. So I would recommend new injectors. Lots of crappy imitation injectors made in Pakistan on ebay. Go through a reputable company. Rock auto has beck arnley injectors. In my experience beck arnley makes great injectors. Again be warned of deals on ebay regarding injectors, lots of cheap knock offs.

I used this place in Houston to refresh my 3FE injectors. $126 total.

FB2D3110-5875-43FE-8BAA-797254A1DA51.jpeg

I threw a bottle of Techron injector cleaner in it for now. It's really weird, if I'm cruising on flat ground with no boost it's running perfect mid 14's, if I lift my foot and coast it drops to 11 and 12's, and anytime I'm accelerating it's running mostly low to mid 12's, which I would think is safely rich. So why would it show rich when I let off and coast? I don't get that. It also isn't idling so rich right now, if I let it sit and idle it'll start out in the 13's and settle in mid 14's. It seems like the stock ecu is throwing fits.

Which leads me to my next question. I'm seriously considering some form of engine management whether a whole stand alone system or whatever will allow good tuning of the fuel curve. I have no experience with this stuff and from the reading I've done so far it just looks all kind of confusing. So anyone here have experience with mega squirt or similar or point me in the right direction? @cruisermatt ?

One last thing, I've gotten several more pm's and yes I will do a build thread I just don't have much time right now it's my busy time of year, but I will promise. For the pm requesting a manifold pic here's one. This was before the bung for the wastegate

IMG_20220104_142004.jpg

I would do a bigger injector and Pump. Something in the 35-45lb/hr range for 5psi. Pump for any of the later 2UZ toyotas would be fine for that power as well.

Should you end up troubleshooting it down to a bad injector, are you planning to go with OEM injectors or the "upgraded" (ie: newer style as I've heard they're on par with new OEM performance & economy wise) injectors from OSideTiger?

My only thought is that the Original controller was never meant to know about boost, so surely it can't do the job all that well. It might cope, but really....
However, any aftermarket ECU is pretty exxy, so....
I also know almost nothing about electrickery and pooters, so probably best to just ignore me outright! :rofl:

I would do a bigger injector and Pump. Something in the 35-45lb/hr range for 5psi. Pump for any of the later 2UZ toyotas would be fine for that power as well.
I've already got a bigger pump, pressure and volume are not a problem, and it's getting plenty of fuel in fact it's running rich pretty much everywhere except light throttle cruising on flat ground with no boost present. Bigger injectors might be good if I had a way to manage the fueling better

Should you end up troubleshooting it down to a bad injector, are you planning to go with OEM injectors or the "upgraded" (ie: newer style as I've heard they're on par with new OEM performance & economy wise) injectors from OSideTiger?
Don't know but I'll look into it. I'd rather not get into having to replace all the connectors, unless I went with a stand alone efi system and built a new harness.

1050’s WAY over the top for 200hp. Maybe if you wanted like, 600-700wph worth of injector. Lol

Microsquirt and LS coils would be well worth it. Leave the distributor in place for the crank signal and oil pump obviously.

I just bought an upgraded set from him, his reviews and feedback are outstanding. I may send him my old injectors to renew too.

I just bought an upgraded set from him, his reviews and feedback are outstanding. I may send him my old injectors to renew too.
Curious to hear your experience with them once you get em in.

Any update on your injectors? Did the new injectors work out?
I'm waiting on a couple fittings (m18x1.5 to 1/2 barb=rare) to change the water inlet/outlet on the turbo so I only have to pull it once and do everything at the same time. It's running really good and I don't feel any urgency right now, a couple tanks of injector cleaner actually helped. I'm just amazed at what 4 lbs of boost has done for this engine it's night and day better and so far it looks like I'm getting at least 1 more mpg.

I'm waiting on a couple fittings (m18x1.5 to 1/2 barb=rare) to change the water inlet/outlet on the turbo so I only have to pull it once and do everything at the same time. It's running really good and I don't feel any urgency right now, a couple tanks of injector cleaner actually helped. I'm just amazed at what 4 lbs of boost has done for this engine it's night and day better and so far it looks like I'm getting at least 1 more mpg.
Gawd I would love to see someone develop a kit for this. Too bad Joey @NLXTACY hates the 3FE 😂

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom