leaky header at collector gasket (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.myspace.com
I am finishing up a frame swap and was wondering if anyone had any tips on sealing up a leaky collector gasket (where the header meets the exhaust pipe). I had to separate the exhaust to pull motor. I fired up the engine for the first time since i did the frame swap...

I bought an aluminum 3 hole collector gasket from a local parts store,, tightened it up and it doesn't seem to be sealing tight,, there are some obvious leaks. I don't want to tighten the bolts so much that it bends flanges... The collector kit came with 2 collector gaskets. Should i run them both? or do i tighten the hell out of them? or tighten, let the header heat up,, then tighten again? Thanks in advance... Silly question,, but couldn't find a good answer...

You have to make sure the two flanges mate up flat BEFORE you install the gasket. If not, get a hammer and straighten the ears (have the center of the flanges touch before the lug ears to give more clamping effect.) The gasket won't hold up if it isn't evenly compressed.

they ALL leak there eventually :bang:

I am on my third leak now :mad: gaskets were no help - had to go to an exhaust shop to get it fixed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom