Leaky Head Issue Questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1989 xtra cab 4x4 v6
So the last 2 years the truck has been leaking oil and after several power washes and a valve cover gasket change I was able to determine the leak is from the head gasket.....driver side....rear back corner.... exhaust side.
I do not have any oil in the coolant nor water in the oil so it appears to be a failure from a journal portion of the gasket leaking to the outer edge of head/block,I would assume there is an oil journal in that corner of the motor but can't find any good diagrams that confirm this so maybe someone can tell me if there is a journal there.
I went to the dealership with the VIN number in hand to inquire about the headgasket warranty only to get some run around from the guy who said he has worked there for 12 years and had never heard of any warranty or has never done a headgasket on any Toyota trucks.
I did not want to argue all day with him even though he did run the VIN and said the steering issue had been dealt with but that there was nothing about a HG...does anyone have some current information on this warranty for me I am in Canada so I need verification that this warranty is still being honoured in Canada.

I think you are confusing the term "journal" with "passage". I was taught that a journal is the part of a shaft that spins in a flat plain bearing. Crankshafts and camshafts have journals on them.

Anyhoo... here is an old scan of the head gasket replacement campaign notice that I received way back in 1996 for my '92 4Runner.

HG_Notice.gif

Toyota paid for new head gaskets in this engine in 1997, plus the engine in my (then) wife's '94 Xtra cab right after we bought it used in 2003. So that guy is full of it. Regardless, it's been a long time, I doubt they will still cover it.

Thx KLF.... yeh passage is what I meant was not thinking when I said journal.
I guess I will try to contact Toyota Canada and see what they say about the warranty not sure why they would attach a set time frame on a warranty when my 88 Landcruiser has a gas tank recall which is still honoured to this date I guess being a gas tank it is more serious than a motor.

If I do attempt to do the head gasket myself what are some of the things I should take special attention to motor has 245K on it.
Should I get the stronger head bolts I will use OEM headgasket and not after market.
I would guess it would be good practice to have the heads sent to a engine shop to have valves and seals done and inspection.
I would be prepared to do the timing belt and water pump while it's apart.
Anything else I am missing.

The gas tank is still covered on the 60-series because it is a recall, and it involves emissions. They are not allowed to expire. This head gasket thing is not a recall, it's a campaign and warranty extension, similar to the warranty extension they did for the Tacoma frames (now also being covered on Tundras). They didn't have to do this, since it's not a safety or emissions issue. The latest air bag thing you're hearing about on the news now is also a recall, and since it's a safety thing it will never expire. IMO it's kinda unreasonable to ask that a manufacturer cover the head gaskets on a 25 year old engine with that many miles, but give it a shot, you never know.

There is a harness on the top of the engine that connects to the knock sensor that is prone to failure, I would replace that.

Think about replacing most, if not all, of the hoses, especially if they are original. I made the mistake of not doing this on my engine when I put it together last year, I put the old heater hoses back on, thinking "they look fine to me". Sure enough, had leaks on both of them where they attached to the heater core at the firewall. Big mess of coolant dribbling down the engine when I would start it. New hoses fixed it.

Not sure on whether not the ARP head studs are worth it. I have them on my 22RE. If you do, make SURE you also get their special lubricant for installation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom