Leaky Hard top... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Any step by step info on Repairing or replacing the gutters and seals on a hard top (73' 40)? Pictures would be a plus since this is my first 40' and havent got a clue:D Also are all fj40 years tops fiberglass?

I believe there's at least one topic on this that a search would find since I know it's been covered in the past. Basically drill out the rivets holding the gutter on, replace gutter, re-rivet. Yes all FJ40 hardtop caps are fiberglass, the sides are steel.

none of my rivets were leaking, but i painted the enitre outside and inside, (i dont have headliner installed), with epoxy resin, thus giving the entire capa new fresh coat of "fiberglass", i painted extra heavy over all the rivets, cheap fix, but it will be strong and stay dry

none of my rivets were leaking, but i painted the enitre outside and inside, (i dont have headliner installed), with epoxy resin, thus giving the entire capa new fresh coat of "fiberglass", i painted extra heavy over all the rivets, cheap fix, but it will be strong and stay dry

Any close up pic's of this as I am i the same situation. Cheers

yes, i can post a few tonight, i dont have access here at work, to where those pics are, basically I used a 2 part expoxy mix that i use for repairing canoes and kayaks, mixed up a large batch and then poured it on the inside of my cap and used a roller to "paint"it on, botht the inside and outside.

i then used a brush and did the gutter are making surento fill in the gaps between the metal strip and fiberglass shell. I also painted an extra layer on over all the rivets, thus sealing them. I was tempted to cut strips of fiberglass or kevlar and lay over the rivets to further strengthen and seal them, but i didnt ill wait and see how it stands up, (im sure it will be fine), but ill post pictures later

Last edited:
I redid mine with a 3M rain gutter sealer and then sprayed with the tintable Raptor Liner, IMOHP it looks good, and should never leak...... I hope

yes, i can post a few tonight, i dont have access here at work, to where those pics are, basically I used a 2 part expoxy mix that i use for repairing canoes and kayaks, mixed up a large batch and then poured it on the inside of my cap and used a roller to "paint"it on, botht the inside and outside.

i then used a brush and did the gutter are making surento fill in the gaps between the metal strip and fiberglass shell. I also painted an extra layer on over all the rivets, thus sealing them. I was tempted to cut strips of fiberglass or kevlar and lay over the rivets to further strengthen and seal them, but i didnt ill wait and see how it stands up, (im sure it will be fine), but ill post pictures later

I'd be interested in these pics also.

This post has some pics of my rig, being fixed by the prior owner.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/174037-what-rain-gutter-should-i-buy.html#post4163277

My fiberglass dome has been bare and unfinished for over a year now.. I am thinking of sealing both sides with a layer of resin, sand, then paint. For the headliner, I'm considering Zolatone, vs an OEM headliner.

my pictures will also show you that the metal piece on the inside of the cap located at the front usually has about 7 rivets that hold it on. I was warned to caulk up underneath there to prevent wind and moister from creaping in. I also solved this issue with running a strip of fiberglass across that seam of the metal on the inside to essentially seal up any and all gaps caused by the lack of rivets holding the metal to the fiberglass, it should also cut down on the noise.

if my hard top comes off again this fall, i will most likely glue in some thin foam as a sound barrier and heat barrier, butnformright now its just the blank cap on top

okay, here's my pic from when I fixed my hard top:

IMG_4533.jpg

Pre wash, it was dirrrrty

IMG_4549.jpg

Rivet Issues

IMG_4550.jpg

scrubbing out the liner foam

IMG_4551.jpg

Rusty gutter base

IMG_4576.jpg

I initially only "painted" epoxy over the cap seams

IMG_4577.jpg

I filled in some small holes with epoxy and kevlar patches, (normal fiberglass mesh will work fine)

IMG_4578.jpg

This is the seam I mentioned earlier. I cut a strip of Kevlar to cover and seal the entire seam... (no more wind noise or water)

IMG_4579.jpg

Another angle

IMG_4652.jpg

This is the epoxy I used, I bought mine from NOC, but I'm sure you can do a search for it and find a local vendor, (don't forget, it's a 2 part mixture)

IMG_4654.jpg

Here's me painting on 1 of 3 epoxy layers to cover the entire cap surafce

IMG_4655.jpg

Done with the inside

IMG_4656.jpg

again

I did not paint the entire outside of the cap, as there wasn't much damage or cracks, but I did fill in and paint 3 layers in the gutter areas, making sure to fill in any gaps between the width of the base and where the cap edge finished. I also painted an extra layer over just the rivets to ensure a strong surface and seal anything that might be an issue.

Another way to protect the rivets and gutter area is to lay some 1/8" thick rubber strips between the gutter and any roof rack mounting feet, this will keep the metal from contacting metal and causing rubbing or friction

Hope this helps

Last edited:
Now you are messing with my mind by giving me ideas to avoid using that imported gutter that I have had lying in my garage for some time already ... :hmm:

Great Post Outdoor , any pics of the finished gutter, looks great..

I have used the West system many times on boats,easy to use and good stuff. MIke

Here's a couple pic of the gutter, as you can see the area is now filled in and you can no longer see a space between the edge of the fiberglass and the metal base

IMG_5411.jpg

IMG_5413.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom