leaky fuel pump (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i've noticed that the fuel pump leaks when the motor is turning... bad thing.
i've had terrible mileage for a long, but i had never noticed a leak in anything.... until today.

last night (after finally getting the tcase installed) i couldn't get it to turn over for nothing
and figured it was just because it was 9degrees F.

anyway, i replaced the hoses around the pump but that didn't stop the leak.... so uh,
is there a way to rebuild it? is there a common fix for this?
should i go with an electric pump?

i think i can get a electric out of the wrecking yard for next to nothing and be up and running in no time. the replacement through sor is like $90.
electrics that i've found online range from $30-$150.

what would be the best thing to do?
if i got an electric would any old electric work?

I would get an OEM replacement pump, it is likely to last you another 20+years...

Good luck!

-Steve

I agree, you'll end up fighting fuel pressure problems. If the fuel pump is leaking, you need a new one. It is easy to install and the money you save in labor should be put into the pump...go OEM.
Ed Long :)

I've got one from a 2/76 2F if you want. It's used but I don't think it leaks (it didn't when I tried it a month or two ago). $20 + shipping.

Should be fine, just change the outlet fitting, and you will be good to go.

if there is some location in the salt lake city area, i will be there tomorrow and again this weekend and could pick one up then. i really wanted to get this thing running so i could do a snow run on thursday.

what makes these things leak and why can't it be fixed?

The diaphram is probably rotted out, thanks to age, and ethanol in the fuels today...

Try a NAPA or Carquest, they should be able to get you a pump, or any decent parts house. Otherwise NDA from Marv...

Good luck!

-Steve

Do you have the F or 2F? Are the pumps the same? I had the CCOT one on my rig for less than a year and had some trouble that I thought was the fuel pump so I replaced it and it turned out to not be the pump so I have an extra one (and the spacer I think)...it's for my '84 2F though. But if it'll work on your rig, it's yours if you want it. Sorry I don't have a way to get it from Logan to SLC until Friday night or Saturday morning though...

-Ferg-

FWIW the early pumps(up 78 I think) can be rebuilt. not sure if I'd bother, prolly just get a new one

thanks ferg, if i don't get one today while im in the city i'll try to hook up with you this weekend.

I just got a new fuel pump yesterday, and yes there is quite a few different types depending on year, or in my case what month of '78 mine was built. The cost was only $50 so I say just get a new one instead of rebuilding. Just to add, I though I had a fitting problem on my pump, some days it would leak while it sat and other days it wouldn't...never made much sense, but after so much screwing around with the lines the pump was all that it could be.

Dave

I've got an electric. It works, but is not a permanent replacement.
I plan on getting a replacement mechanical from Napa or CCOT, and throwing the electric in the trail spare box.

ended up going with the one from checker today. i'll throw it in tomrrow, and hopefully it will get me running. plan on doing a little snow run tomorrow.
pics to come, and maybe some video too :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom