leaky door on a 60 - PLEASE HELP (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok. here's the deal. my pass. side floorboard is getting soaked every time it rains around here, which in portland, in the winter, is every day, pretty much.

so- previously when i had this problem, i found that the body drain plug under the carpet was leaky. pulled it out, cleaned it, sealed it with rtv, etc. that's not where my new leak is. i'm thinking it's the door leaking. has anyone else had this problem? i've had STANDING WATER under the carpet recently. need to get this fixed!

I have a 60 also, and live in Seattle, so I share your pain - though not your wetness, as my cruiser is dry so far (has other problems though of course!). I assume that you've checked the weather stripping around the door? It should go all the way around. Next to check might to see if the plastic seal underneath the door panel is intact. As far as I can tell, the function of this plastic sheeting is to keep rainwater that runs down inside the door from soaking the door panel, and perhaps also from flooding the inside of the vehicle. The water runs out the bottom of the door through a drain hole (easy to see if you squat down and look at the inside of the door by the bottom). The drain hole can get clogged too - though you'd probably notice the sloshing inside your door. The plastic sheeting is stuck in place with some permanently sticky rubber stuff (bluish I think). If yours is torn/missing, I'd think that you could replace it with the stuff they sell at a hardware store to cover up windows on a house - should be tough enough.

Good luck. Hope something here helps.

ah yes, the joys of a PDX winter......do you have mushrooms growing under your seats yet?

• you might check the condition of the calk in your rain gutters -- if it's cracked, lifting up, etc... this can create an opportunity for water entry; a good body shop can fix this easily and repaint to match factory condition
• also check for leaks at the bottom of your windshield gasket -- h2o will collect around the bottom corners on the inside if your gasket's seal has been compromised
• window sweeps -- check condition and replace if severely worn
• last shot: if you have front mounted door speakers, check the condition of the wire grommet in the leading edge of the door panel - in particular, inspect the bellows/collar where the speaker wire passes through for severe cracks and gaps; seal with RTV silicone if damaged

believe it or not, all of the above were factors in a similar prob with our rig. let me know if you need a referal for a great body shop in the area, we've found a dynamite shop....

HTH,
-dogboy- '87 FJ60

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom